winavi converter
nerovision express
ulead dvd moviefactory

my machine
cpu xp2500+
ram 512
win2k

standalone dvd player = Sanyo SL33

OK I have been trying to put a bunch of avi files on to a dvd (about 6 hours worth)

I batch converted the avi files (about 350mb each) to vcd format (mpeg1) about 420mb each using winavi video converter,
Then i used the latest trial version of Ulead dvd moviefactory to make a dvd I ticked the do not re-encode compliant video thingie so all it did was re-encode the sound of the vcd before putting them on to the dvd

The dvd plays in my standalone - box but the menus don’t work, and the videos are a little jerky, I can navigate the dvd using my players search track function

Any ideas on how to

a) Get the menus to work

b) How to prevent the jerkyness

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Nigel

For some reason the menus now seem to work

but the jerkyness is still there

What is the framerate of your Movies? And what is the System of your DVD player/TV set to?

If the videos are Pal (25ish FPS) and you are converting to NTSC (30ish FPS), or vice versa , or much worse, converting from Non-Standard Frame rates to Pal/NTSC, this will account for the problem.

The other problem can be poor quality media.
Please ID your Media (not who is marketting the disc, but who actually manufactured it). You will an info tool (like nero CDspeed ) to ID the disc for you.

You also didn’t tell us what your burner is :wink: That might help :wink:

What is the framerate of your Movies?
According to gspot about 23.97 FPS

And what is the System of your DVD player/TV set to?
It should be set to PAL (Im in New Zealand) but I can also play NTSC discs on it

The other problem can be poor quality media.
Please ID your Media (not who is marketting the disc, but who actually manufactured it). You will an info tool (like nero CDspeed ) to ID the disc for you.

Sorry the burner is on the laptop which is out at the moment Toshiba satellite m30
Well its a Harvey Normans disk, which from reading the little numbers on the blue circle is a CMC MAG AE1 (the not so great version)

–> disk number is cmdr47c-caewmoc-103 3223

You also didn’t tell us what your burner is That might help

• Alternative NTSC standard.
  • Not the problem, since your hardware is multi-system.

Most likely the problem.
My experience with CMC media has been hit and miss with standalone players, even with high quality scan results.
Laptop DVDRW drives tend to be from Matsushita or Toshiba, which can give sketchy results, even with High quality TY media. If it’s an NEC drive, it has no excuses though & it’s definately the media :wink:

But you can try some TY DVDR’s from JPL displays.

Look here for the 50 Pack of 8x TYG02 DVD-R ($36+$10 P&H)
Look herefor the 100 Pack of 8X TYG02 DVD-R ($69+$10 P&H)

You can get upto 150 disc before the postage goes up :slight_smile:

I’ve honestly never regretted buying the good stuff as every DVD comes out practically flawless & plays in every standalone I’ve tested it in.

Ok i am going to ask a dumb question

what do you mean by Alternative NTSC standard does this mean the AVIs are in ntsc format rather than PAL?

It is just because when I use ulead Movie maker to create the DVD, I notice that the template properties say (DVD-PAL) and all the settings are PAL/SECAM,
If the source file is NTSC, would it be better for me to change my settings to NTSC, would this perhaps reduce the jerkyness?

Sorry if the question is a bit daft but I thought Pal was 24 fps and NTSC was 30 FPS, so i just assumed 23.97 FPS was PAL

Thanks for all the help so far

Nigel

Yet another dumb question, does the pal ntsc thing matter if i am converting them to mpegs before burning them

Movies from the cinema come in 24fps.
PAL is 25fps. They do the dodgy & play a movie reel at 25/24 of the speed & then do some funky frequency modulation to the sound so that people in the movie don’t sound like chipmunks.

NTSC handily comes with 2 possible frame rates … to minimise confusion ;).
It can use either 23.97 & 29.97 or other (which we usually round upto 30fps). The 23.976 fps is the De-interlaced version.

So the your original file/movie is in deinterlaced NTSC (23.97 format). So when you convert them to PAL (25fps), it must double a frame, every second, which accounts for the Jerky motion of the video.

So you are better off converting them to the 29.97fps NTSC standard, rather than PAL.

Read this for a full explanation.

Thanks for the link

I don’t 100% understand it, but everything makes a lot more sense, I had been looking at loads of definitions but none had mentioned the deinterlaced ntsc

Is there software out there that does the conversion automatically or easily

(I have searched but all the posts are on PAL to NTSC conversion or vice versa)

Thanks

Hollywood runs the world! What can I say! LOL

The de-interlaced version (aka 24fps) can be played directly (without framerate compensation/interlacing) if your DVD player supports progressive titles.

The encoding program (WinAVI) should automatically interlace the 23.97fps(24fps) title to 30(29.7)fps to make it play correctly in non-progressive DVD players.

Also Nero Vision should be able to convert it correctly for you directly. Not sure about quality though.