Jerky motion DVD to PS3

On some movies I get a jerky almost skipping motion when converting DVD’s to PS3 format. Most movies work fine, but about 20% are jerky. I let DVDFAB select the bitrate. I have even tried changing it. This happens on Transformers WS and The Majestic WS, and many others. What is the problem? Is there a fix being worked on? This has been happening for all the versions. on both my PC’s PDuo Quad and P4 3.2.

This was reportedly fixed in v5.0.8.8 I thought. What version number are you using?

I am using the latest Final Released on 16 August, not the Beta. And according to the beta notes Fix: A jerky playback problem for WMV output, since the fps is not set correctly. (DVDFab Mobile Option) It’s just for WMV? I’ll give it a shot. I hope this is finally fixed.

Sorry, my mistake you’re right. Insufficient brain cells in the “keep up with release notes” buffer. The PS3 profile uses the H.264 codec, which I also use for my Archos and is having the same issue. It is being worked on. This would probably also be a problem for most of the PSP profiles. I have reverted back to v4.1.2.0 for my conversions, which still works fine and coexists with v5+ with no problems.

P.S. Always install the betas, they sometimes have undocumented tweaks and fixes.

hi,

I will do some test for some movie by using ps3 or psp profile, hope can repeat this problem and fix them finally.

If you can provide more detail problem DVD list, which can help me repeat this problem quickly

Thanks.

ok, I converted about 500 movies so I’ll test them and get back with as to which ones it’s doing them on.

nope, the beta didn’t resolve the jerky/skipping motion. Move was Transformers widescreen UPC 9736345534

Ting
This problem started for me at the same time as the “wrong fps” problem. The fps was fixed, the jerky video remained. I think I sent you a message about it. Would you like a short sample file?

Yeah, I think some more work neesd to be paid attention to in the PS3 conversion. It’s one of the most used now with the PS3 mainstream and the capabilities. It would be nice to see some more work put into enhancing the PS3 conversion features. Two I would like to see is adding the subtitles as a selectable file during playback, and not forced. and also the ability to join or convert Multi-Disc movies such as Lord of the Rings etc… with the output being one file.

Not sure I agree that the PS3 is the most used, but it is gaining ground.

I don’t think selectable subtitles (and chapters for that matter) are available to the PS3 other than during DVD/BD playback. If you or someone else knows of a container format supported by the PS3 that does have these things then you might suggest that DVDFab implement it (in the feature request thread). The MKV container supports both, but the PS3 doesn’t have native support for MKV that I know of (I think Tversity can stream it).

Yep a lot of titles are still Jumpy. Converted 6 more this today and 4 of them are Jumpy. THis problem really needs to be addressed. 13 Ghost, Narnia, Adventures of Ford Fairlane, Spirited Away, and Doom are all jumpy.

Oh, and Complication, subtitles are selectable from the playback menu of MP4’s. I use YAMB to embedd them.

[quote=skylinekiller;2115320]
Oh, and Complication, subtitles are selectable from the playback menu of MP4’s. I use YAMB to embedd them.[/quote]

I stand corrected. Are you streaming the files to the PS3 or using them directly from a hard drive?

directly to the hard drive. So are they working on the Jerky motion for the PS3 conversion? After looking at my movies, it’s about 50% of the converted movies from DVDFAB 5

[quote=skylinekiller;2115320]Yep a lot of titles are still Jumpy. Converted 6 more this today and 4 of them are Jumpy. THis problem really needs to be addressed. 13 Ghost, Narnia, Adventures of Ford Fairlane, Spirited Away, and Doom are all jumpy.

Oh, and Complication, subtitles are selectable from the playback menu of MP4’s. I use YAMB to embedd them.[/quote]Everything I have tried is jumpy. Ting is working on this and I sent him a sample file. He is buried right now so be patient. I can send you v4.1.2.0 if you want it.

We discussed this problem a while back here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/jerky-video-ps3-profile-version-5-x-246870/

My guess is that you are converting NTSC (instead of PAL) and that the 50% are all movies original shot of film. The only workaround I can offer for now is to force the output framerate to 23.976 for titles that have this problem.

Thanks for the info on MP4. I’ll have to try it streamed to see if the PS3 can do the subtitles that way. I originally rejected the MP4 format because YAMB could not include the original AC3 soundtrack.

This is a different problem that did not begin until recently, I think in v5.0.8.5 or 8, and seems to effect playback on any device if the H.264 codec is used.

Did you try forcing the framerate to 23.976? I’m not seeing the jerky playback with H264 in MKV or AVI containers using 23.976.

Since version 5, I have seen the same or similar bug re-introduced on occasion so I wouldn’t immediately assume it was not the same bug from before. In viewing the meta info on many of the generated files it seems that there is more than one encoder being used by DVDFab under the covers. Sometimes to fix an issue, a new DVDFab version will switch encoders which may fix the problem but then re-introduces other problems. It is kind of like a game of whack-a-mole.

I think “same as source” is broken again. I have not tried setting any other framerates, waiting to see what Ting finds.

hi,

I have get signal’s sample file, but I am not sure signal’s problem is the same as skylinekiller’s problem.

skylinekiller, can you upload one small problem sample file to me ? you can just use one chapter to create a small file, if you can upload it, please pm me, I will send you ftp address.

Thanks.

this is skylinekiller, please send me your FTP address. the file is 9mb, is that small enough or too large?