Japanese Review of LiteOn 812S here

http://homepage2.nifty.com/yss/sohw812s/sohw812s.htm

A full review, in Japanese (so use babelfish at altavista.com to translate, or just look at the pretty PI/PO graphs), of the new LiteOn 812S DVD burner.

Unfortunately, it looks like LiteOn hasn’t improved the burns much at all, and you’ll see relatively high error rates across a broad range of discs and similar burns as the prior 811S.

(Here, I’m comparing the results to the Pioneer A06 drive at cdrinfo.com and this site, which has far lower PI/PO error rates across the board. Here, the A06 rarely goes above 30-50, whereas the LiteOn easily touches 100+ across many discs.)

That said, you know what you’re getting, so don’t expect amazing burn quality off the 812S vs. the older 811S, and looks like 8x burners are still a ‘rushed-to-market’ product where the lasers and media haven’t been fully optimized yet to produce super-low error rate burns ala the older 4x drives (eg. the Pioneer A06).

This link was already posted in this forum about a month ago.

I’d like to wait for OC’s review. For one, the automated translation is bad, and for another, I don’t think they were as thorough/careful in this review (e.g., their scans were done w/ 1 ECC)

And it also seems from seeing other 812S scans on this forum that most of them turn out much better than the scans in the review. In any case, as I said, I’m eagerly waiting for OC’s careful review & test of the drive. :slight_smile:

When is OC-Freaks review supposed to be released?

Early indications show that his review will be done when he finishes it. Of course that’s just an estimate and there is a 5.5-7.6% margin for error 1 time out of 10.

5.5-7.6% margin for error 1 time out of 10.

That would be a 0.55 to 0.76% margin of error over-all. That’s quite good actually. :wink:

Originally posted by rdgrimes
That would be a 0.55 to 0.76% margin of error over-all. That’s quite good actually. :wink:

Thanks, I try my best. It’s based on a very complex equation that I have spent half my life working on.

Originally posted by Ssseth
Thanks, I try my best. It’s based on a very complex equation that I have spent half my life working on.

Clearly, your many talents are not appreciated here.

Originally posted by TripleH
When is OC-Freaks review supposed to be released?

In a week - I hope :stuck_out_tongue: