Japanese Matsushita to test pirate-proof rental DVDs

vbimport

I just posted the article Japanese Matsushita to test pirate-proof rental DVDs.

The Japan-based electronics maker Matsushita
Electric, better known as Panasonic, is planning to test a
movie rental system that combines DVD discs with file downloads.As part of the trial,…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/6015-Japanese-Matsushita-to-test-pirate-proof-rental-DVDs.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/6015-Japanese-Matsushita-to-test-pirate-proof-rental-DVDs.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

You know, I don’t know how it is in other countries but I don’t need the hassle of getting on the computer to watch a DVD. I don’t need to spend the time downloading … I don’t need this kind of service. If I want to rent … put it on cable TV … if it ain’t on my cable … I won’t be watching it.

Umm, this was tried a few years ago in the US, and it didn’t go so well at all. Anyone ever hear of Divx? (not the mpeg4 compression)

This is the dumbest idea yet.

Panasonic is a subsidiary of Matsushita as is National and Technics, it is not the same thing.

hahahah. I’ve gotta thank Matsushita for my daily dose of humour. Seriously, you couldn’t make this stuff up.

Sorry, this is going back to the days of DIVX Seeing DIVX had already died (early DVD type no-return rental disc; not the new pc codec), I don’t see this taking off to easily. Also, I don’t think many people are willing to replace their DVD player with some else again that doesn’t even provide any picture quality improvement! :+

Oh gawd, who was the white dude w/ the drunk asian at the bar that thought this shit up.?!?!?! :r

Bit of a bugger if you haven’t got broadband or higher available. I wonder how long the missing bits will take to download on a Modem? Even with BB it could take ages, if the quality is really DVD, the the potential size of a single movie is anything upto say 6GB depending on length and quality…and depending on how much they cut out… But perhaps what peeople will do is copy what’s there off the disc, then with a digital camcorder record the missing bits, then merge the two…ok so now I really am being silly! :slight_smile: