I've Locked my DVD Drive to Region 1?

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 3.02GHz P4 laptop with a Matshita Super Multi-Drive (model Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-820S) that can read and rip DVD-RAM and DVD-/+R and DVD-/+RW discs.

I use to be able to play all region types DVD movies on this drive with the DVD movie software that came with it - InterVideo DVD 4 and/or Windows Media Player DVD. Recently I installed Shrink 3.1 and DVD Decrypter as well as the Nero 6 Ultra Edition and have successfully ripped my first DVD movie.

Recently I tried to play again an original region 2 DVD movie (METROPOLIS - anime) with either Intervideo DVD4 or Win Media Player DVD and a window prompts me everytime that says my player is region 1 and I have the option of selecting region 2 or 5 to play the disc. When I select the appropriate radio buttons the selection does not work and get the message that I have to have administration pass to change it (even though I am logged in as the administrator).

What happened/why does the player refuse to play the disc now (I have played the same disc on the same player in the same machine before)? Did I accidentally lock my player to region 1? and is there a way I can unlock it again or make it play/select other regions?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Hi dennis welcome to the forum, yes if you use Any DVD you can make your DVD Rom region free again and won’t have to change regions every time you play a DVD , you can down load it from here http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

I’ve downloaded the trial version of AnyDVD and will give it a try. Thanks coathi! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately AnyDVD did not fix it. I am still unable to play region 2, region 5 discs. Maybe this has something to do with the no. of tries one can change the region in the advance settings for the drive. Once you use these us the drive locks itself in the last region it was set. I also get a message that even if I format my laptop and re-install WinXP and the drivers/software the drive will remain locked.

Will a firmware fix this?

You can try DVD X player professional.
You will find it here
http://dvd.golddownload.com/DVD_X_Player_Professional.html
I have been using it for 3 months with no problems.

I also have my DVD drive to region 1, could someone help me out? I have a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-850S ATA and I tried almost everything already and still can’t play any other region! Any sugestions I certainly appreciate?!

Thanks,

Hi and Welcome,

unfortunately there is no solution for Panasonic drives.

Michael

Ahhhh!

Not to steal the topic but I think I now understand why my Panasonic DVD-reader drive won’t acknowledge ANY DVD discs
(even data discs) but will read any CD I feed it.

Time to get out my golf clubs to “adjust” it.

AD

You usually can change the region code on any DVD drive up to 4 times. AnyDVD should work on-the-fly (while watching) as long as it runs in the background. A surefire way to get it to work is to rip the DVD to your hard drive first using AnyDVD. It’ll make the movie region-free (region 0). BTW, what are you watching your DVDs with on your PC? I use PowerDVD and Nero Showtime, and they never give me problems with region codes on rentals.

Hi.
You can modify your region from your dvd-wr drive.
Check this printscreen:

[QUOTE=Plexed;2167153]You usually can change the region code on any DVD drive up to 4 times. AnyDVD should work on-the-fly (while watching) as long as it runs in the background. A surefire way to get it to work is to rip the DVD to your hard drive first using AnyDVD. It’ll make the movie region-free (region 0). BTW, what are you watching your DVDs with on your PC? I use PowerDVD and Nero Showtime, and they never give me problems with region codes on rentals.[/QUOTE]

It has been pointed out numerous times that even AnyDVD cannot work with Matshita drives.