iTunes Plus

Itunes plus,I might think about upgrading but what are you thinking? I think that everybody knows that 'till April or so everything on itunes should be drm free. That’s good news but what about the songs u bought from itunes prior to the decision to remove drm, those are still protected. U can choose to upgrade them to itunes plus but not for free, there’s of course a fee. Is it really worth upgrading?

Indeed a great decision to free the DRM and regarding the upgrading I don’t think it’s a great idea cause so you lose a big amount of money especially if your library is huge. Yeah, another way to make money. I really don’t agree to pay for a track that I’ve already paid for it. And this is not about one track, casue I have a lot of music from them. Bad move in my opinion.

Although the new tracks are not protected with a drm method the email address of your itunes account is stored in your music file. So you can be tracked back although I would like to see how apple will handle this when millions of songs are somewhere where they shouldn’t be and that will be the case. Will they sue everyone, I doubt it but some people will have a hard time I guess…

Oh d’oohh .once again, those who try to play by the rules and do the right thing get screwed. Why doesn’t this come as a surprise to me?

Right now I calculated I 'd spend round $90 to upgrade some songs. I have another 300 tracks that have DRM that weren’t upgradable yet, at least last time I checked. It’s a rip off that I have to pay an additional 30 cents for tracks I already paid for. I’m still deciding on what I should do. I would really like to see the day when all my music is drm free but I’ not sure if it’s worth the price. It’s good at least that they took out that option for upgrading your entire library or nothing; I get to choose what I want to keep.

Never bought drm protected music as I’m a vinyl addict. When I read you’ve to pay again for your already bought music I would think twice getting music from apple again aren’t there any good alternatives?

That’s not good at all, those persons try to steal as much as they can from us. That’s not fair for their users which were their clients forever. They should do a 100% discount for them because we paid a lot for music. I’m not agree with this either. But unfortunately they don’t take into consideration our needs.

When I saw that they’ll free that crappy DRM I was happy but I didn’t calculate how much I’ll spend again for the same music. I didn’t do that yet, but I have about 500 DRM-ed tracks from Itunes store. Too much money spending on what??? If I think twice I regret I got all that music from there. I’m wondering if there’s another way to get our music free from drm

Well, after all who could have known that this would eventually happen?I for one also wouldn’t be too excited because the music they sell might be drm free, but your email or id will be tied to the tracks you buy, as that guy said. So I would think twice about sharing my music and risk having running around music that could be traced back to me. I don’t think they would like that. :smiley:

I for one aren’t interested in sharing my music on p2p networks, so I couldn’t care less if I am tied to them in some way. At least I wouldn’t have to worry about that evil drm. Although I’m still not convinced about upgrading ,I mean I don’t like to convert all that music I have but I’m not comfortable with having to choose only the ones I listen to all the time.I paid for all the music so I’d really want to keep it all. One thing I like is that, at least ,the upgraded music is in better quality than the ones I have now.

You’ll get the itunes songs without drm on p2p, torrent, ftp, etc… as you get everything else. The question what can apple do? If you want to be sure no one uses your songs somewhere else you’ve to protect the device which stores the songs like a bank. How can you distinguish between ripped songs from your cds, tapes, vinyls or whatever and your itunes song when you got let me say a few thousands songs on your storage device (make a list, seperate folder,…)? Your friend, brother, ‘enemey’, colleague copies some music to his mp3 player and you won’t notice it, etc…
There are so many things I could thing of and although I prefer non drm protected files this could become a real problem for some people when apple picks you for making an example with your case. It’s also a good trick in my opinion as apple now sells what the users want and no one can cry if his song can be found somewhere in the internet and the apple lawyer knocks on your door which also is another thing from country to country. Don’t forget the Digital Millennium Copyright Act is just for the US people and not for the whole world which some people won’t get in their heads :wink:
Happy itunes buying and protect your songs with your life :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t like using torrents and other such sources,first of all there are a lot of viruses round there.I don’t wanna fuck up my pc.And it’s illegal.
After all I already have those songs and I don’t wanna download them again,why the heck did I buy all that music in the first place then?I paid for it and I wanna keeep it all ,and I don’t think I wanna pay again for their crappy update.

Couldn’t agree with you more.It’s not fair to pay twice,even if you said that they offer a bit more quality in the music they have now.Do you really think that it makes much difference ? And is that difference really worth an extra 30c per track? I think not. I mean c’mon, it depends on the gear you use to listen to your music. Let’s take for example the earbuds that come with the iPod, those are hardly good audiophile quality,I bet u won’t really see the difference. Of course if u have good headphones or quality stereo speakers you might find a small diference , but I still say this paying twice for the same song screws us over.

It’s an important step with higher quality but they should have done this some time ago, not really now, I mean, the add is like that: DRM is free now, but you can upgrade your files with 0.30$ but with higher quality. And you’re right, how better would be the quality, with 30 higher? If so who really does observe that if you’re listening to your ipod.

Hey, I’m really glad they’ve done this so now I have all the music DRM-ed free and I can play it on all the music players I want… :)) Really I like this idea and I’ll upgrade all my music I bought so far. Don’t think I have a few songs, no, I have about 300 and I don’t want to lose my music. And let’s be honest, 0.30$ per song it isn’t that much. Yet, I can’t wait till April to have all my music without DRM :smiley:

Ain’t that too much money to spend on some music that u paid for already?As I already said,it sucks that I have to pay a lot of money to upgrade all the music I have from Itunes, but at the same time I don’t like the idea to keep it with drm.Even30c is too much, we shouldn’t pay anything. As for the quality I’m not really that sure if I could tell the difference between 128 kbps and 256 kbps if I listen to it on ipod or phone.

[QUOTE=jackan87;2222045]Itunes plus,I might think about upgrading but what are you thinking? I think that everybody knows that 'till April or so everything on itunes should be drm free. That’s good news but what about the songs u bought from itunes prior to the decision to remove drm, those are still protected. U can choose to upgrade them to itunes plus but not for free, there’s of course a fee. Is it really worth upgrading?[/QUOTE]

The simple answer is use Amazon’s online music downloads, the files comes as MP3s with no DRM and they are also cheaper than iTunes!

Amazon all the way

Well, look at it this way, my music library consists of about 6,500 songs. Now, I didn’t buy any of those from apple. I really dislike apple, but that’s another story. Lets say I bought half from them. That’s 3,250. And at thirty cents a song to upgrade I would be looking at paying a whopping $975.
Buy CDs. They cost more than the 99 cents a song download, but you get the best quality and you don’t have to deal with Apple. If someone steals the music off your computer, no big deal, there is no way they could prove it. Plus since its a CD you can listen to it on any MP3 player as far as I know
And for those of you worried about supporting the artists, go see some live shows. That is the main way they make money.

I never did like to buy from itunes, so I don’t really have that many reasons to bitch about,unlike some round here. The upgrade shouldn’t burn such a big whole in my budget, cause I was thinking to keep only the ones I like the most and ditch the others. Although I’m not that convinced that’s worth the upgrade. But I indeed pity those here who have a whole lot of music and videos. Of course a way to have the music without drm is always welcomed.

[QUOTE=Basky;2223519]Hey, I’m really glad they’ve done this so now I have all the music DRM-ed free and I can play it on all the music players I want… :)) Really I like this idea and I’ll upgrade all my music I bought so far. Don’t think I have a few songs, no, I have about 300 and I don’t want to lose my music. And let’s be honest, 0.30$ per song it isn’t that much. Yet, I can’t wait till April to have all my music without DRM :D[/QUOTE]

Man, you’re free to throw your money on your music again… I really don’t like this idea, I’ve already paid once for it, that’s stealing. But everyone should do whatever he likes with his money. I’m still not decided what to do with them maybe I’ll leave them with DRM and I’ll start to find another way to get music.