It's official: HD DVD is dead

vbimport

I just posted the article It’s official: HD DVD is dead.

It has already been buzzing over the web and it’s already a popular subject in our news, Toshiba sources already leaked that HD DVD would quit their business and leave the blue laser optical storage…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14286-Its-official-HD-DVD-is-dead.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14286-Its-official-HD-DVD-is-dead.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Hmm. Wonder what the market reaction will be after this. At least Toshiba is still keeping HD-DVD alive. I would say this is a smart move. Saveing money and waiting out blu-ray to see what will happen. I would say the war is not over untill we see what new players are comming out. Price on media, blu-ray burners etc. The price is still way to high on both mediaformats. And I read an article about DVD, that in america alone about 300 Miljon dvd discs where sold during 2006. Anyway nice to hear that Toshiba is still keeping the HD-DVD format alive.

Well I hope Toshiba will do the same thing as Sony did with Betamax. Sony produced (limited quantities of) Betamax till 2002 before they stopped…

My next high-definition player will be a Toshiba blu-ray player :slight_smile:

I’ll stick with good old DVDs (not HD-DVD) until there’s a way of ripping Blu Ray or they stop making ordinary DVDs. I always thought Blu Ray should win because it’s technically better (having less plastic between the laser and the data layer) and as a result can have higher capacities. Having said that, I’m not really interested in the higher quality pictures that either format can provide. I certainly couldn’t care less whether one company or another “wins”, cheap players will be banged out by no-name companies in China and Taiwan within a couple of years anyway.

I’ll stick with good old DVDs (not HD-DVD) until there’s a way of ripping Blu Ray or they stop making ordinary DVDs. I always thought Blu Ray should win because it’s technically better (having less plastic between the laser and the data layer) and as a result can have higher capacities. Having said that, I’m not really interested in the higher quality pictures that either format can provide. I certainly couldn’t care less whether one company or another “wins”, cheap players will be banged out by no-name companies in China and Taiwan within a couple of years anyway.

well congratulations to all the Sony fanboys, and hope y’all enjoy your extra DRM, rootkits,inflated prices, and ‘superior’?? unfinalised format… after Betamax,MiniDisc,and Memory Stick you finally managed to actually ‘win’… for me HDMI upconverted DVD will suffice till Blu-ray is totally ‘cracked’… R.I.P HD DVD

@quoll You forgot SACD :slight_smile:

Will not any blu-ray crap until I could copy it. :X My money goes to the support of AnyDVD HD. :d

Yeah, no $ony garbage for me either. I’ll wait for an x264 player and download my stuff from the InterWeb.

Sad to hear the news, but money talks… it has nothing to do with better quality, better product or anything alike, but $ony did it again, bought their “future” with some cash… Still luckily they cannot force me to join their team so I will refuse Blu-Ray come what may… by the way, where are you Tim, share your thoughts… :D:D:D
This message was edited at: 19-02-2008 17:44

They hypocrites should stop complaining about Blu-Ray DRM since HD-DVD had it also. It’s being pushed by the studios. If HD-DVD DRM was found to be inadequate then the studios would have required Toshiba to add more. Toshiba and Sony both have to license some of that garbage and wouldn’t mind eliminating it but the studios control the content market so they can’t. Neither has any bearing on rootkits. Sony is a huge corporation and some parts are more evil than others (like Sony BMG Music Entertainment which they only own half of). Politics within determines how much control the top management has over each subsidiary. JVC didn’t take over the world by winning the VCR format war with VHS.

Dudes, there is no Blu-Ray you CANNOT copy :slight_smile: Net is already booming with BD Rips :slight_smile: Been for ages… if you can afford the empty media. I prefer buy my favorites.

Here’s hoping they re-release Star Trek - The Original Series & Transformers on Blu-Ray now, and a few others.
This message was edited at: 20-02-2008 00:48

“Dudes, there is no Blu-Ray you CANNOT copy :slight_smile: Net is already booming with BD Rips :slight_smile: Been for ages… if you can afford the empty media. I prefer buy my favorites.” There is a way to watch a moofie off an HDD or isnt it?

“They hypocrites should stop complaining about Blu-Ray DRM since HD-DVD had it also.” True, but Blu-Ray has more DRM than HD-DVD did… Lets not forget about that annoying ARccOS Sony puts on DVD’s… I expect Blu-Ray to be riddled with similar garbage… “I always thought Blu Ray should win because it’s technically better (having less plastic between the laser and the data layer) and as a result can have higher capacities.” Yes that does mean higher capacities, but at a risk… The layers are so thin they need special hardcoating to protect the discs from scratches… Those scratches make the discs difficult to read as the units try to read the smaller data pits and through all those additional layers… As we make devices that can read/write smaller data pits onto media, those scratches start to have an amplified effect towards the reading back of the data on those discs… Thats why its important to protect our fair use rights to backup our collections…

RIP HD DVD. Unfortunatly the inferior product has won again. No Blu-ray for me until they come down in price and are region free…

Some how the song “James Brown Is Dead” comes to mind. [Ad edited out]

opps, accidentally refreshed
This message was edited at: 20-02-2008 21:17