It's called "Shrink DVD"

vbimport

Two days ago, after some considerable personal debate as to if DVD2ONE was indeed, the best available software for DVD compression, I purchased this product. Less than 3 hours later, I came across some information regarding another program called Shrink DVD…Guess what…it’s free. Guess what again…it’s great…does everything that DVD2ONE does just as well…with much more user control.

If anyone doubts this, try it…http://www.dvdr-digest.com/software/software.php?file=dvdshrink.

My haste at going against my better judgment cost me $45.00. Shoulda known…%@$# it!

Shrink DVD? :confused: :confused:

Actually, I’ve tested the two (6.8GB DVD -> 4.7GB Incl. Menus) and in my opinion the picture quality from DVD2One is much better than DVDShrink… I haven’t tested a DVD with multi-angles, but I read that DVDShrink will not work with them and has disabled them in the new version. I have yet to test DVD2One’s support with multi-angles, but if it works… DVD2One is my choice.

dvdshrik can decrypt on the fly and RULEZ my world with this feature …

That’s about the only feature I liked about it.

I had a little play with it too and, for a freebie, it’s quite good.

It has some good features, but I didn’t like the preset transcode settings. This seems to leave you with either an end product that’s too big or one with wasted space.

If he overcomes this, it could be a winner. For the time being though Dvd20ne produces better quality, as it allows you to use all available disk space.

From what I’ve read, the author of DVD Shrink plans on rewriting the transcode engine so that the user can define the amount of compression. The engine he is currently using is only a temporary solution.

Originally posted by Phil Thomas
[B]I had a little play with it too and, for a freebie, it’s quite good.

It has some good features, but I didn’t like the preset transcode settings. This seems to leave you with either an end product that’s too big or one with wasted space.

If he overcomes this, it could be a winner. For the time being though Dvd20ne produces better quality, as it allows you to use all available disk space. [/B]

I agree with your assessment. I replied in another post re: my results of Blackhawk Down with DVDShrink. With the present transcoding engine, it’s very difficult if not impossible to get good results. I’m sure better things are to come with this product.

Mike

I’ve also done a test with DVD Shrink.

I’ve tried to recompress my copy of Saving Private Ryan (DTS , Region 1) to an acceptable 4.7 Gigs or lower.

It told me i could make new menus, but PowerDVD did not show any menus , not that i mind it much ; The importance is the quality.

Pro’s :

Very small program , 340 kilobyte and that’s it. It does everything in one .exe , no freaking .dll’s or installation paths. A big plus for me since i hate tools that fly all over the harddisks , os’es and registry keys.

Quite easy. One goes “clickety-click” and wait for 2 hours and you’re done. It tells what files it has written and shows a nice preview before you select a compression method.

The “Expected file size” results are quite accurate

Freeware. Big plus. Being free usually means : Not supported and shut up about bugs , but i don’t mind that. I paid nothing , i should expect nothing. I can live with that. If the Con’s are not fixed/updated/implemented , i still like the program. Someone put time in this to write it and the least we could do is appreciate this.

Select your own region.

Acceptable image quality.

Con’s :

Menu’s did not work , i don’t know for sure , since i don’t have it written onto a dvd-writer , simply because i have none (yet)

Fixed compression rates. I could only select a 1 thru 8 compression method via radio buttons , there was no method of using a preferred step-free compression rate.

Overall a good product for it’s price :slight_smile:

Did not implement the DTS track , but i haven’t tested it thorough enough.

Image once in a while seems to “hiccup”. Some frames instantly changed scenery , but this was very very rare (about 2 times in the entire movie).