It told me to uninstall, now I can't find it to reinstall!

vbimport

I’m running Windows XP. My dvd drive stopped working (wouldn’t register the fact that there is a drive there at all, for dvds or program cds). Tried rebooting, error message suggested uninstalling AnyDVD and then reinstalling after rebooting (again). Uninstalled, rebooted. Can’t find AnyDVD on my computer any more in order to reinstall it! Plus my problem of having the drive not being recognised as existing at all persists. Please help.

Hi mrnnh and welcome to the forums. :flower:

There are two problems there so I’ll tackle the simplest first.

You can get the installer from SlySoft’s website here.

The other problem can be caused by a number of things including hardware failure but it’s also sometimes caused by a corruption in the Windows Registry.

Windows uses layered drivers for optical devices known as ‘Upper and Lower filters’ and when these are corrupt your drive can disappear from the system.

The easiest way to fix this is as follows.

[ul]
[li]If you haven’t got it already then download and install ImgBurn from here (this program is freeware).
[/li]
[li]Run the program, go to ‘Tools’ menu and select ‘Filter Driver Load Order’.
[/li]
[li]Select one of the four Upper and Lower Filters’ then press the ‘Remove Selected Filter’ button.
[/li]
[li]Do this forboth the two ‘Upper’ and two ‘Lower’ filters.
[/li]
[li]Reboot.
[/li][li]Check if you can now see the drive.
[/li][/ul]
Let us know if this works.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=mrnnh;2633179]I’m running Windows XP. My dvd drive stopped working (wouldn’t register the fact that there is a drive there at all, for dvds or program cds). Tried rebooting, error message suggested uninstalling AnyDVD and then reinstalling after rebooting (again). Uninstalled, rebooted. Can’t find AnyDVD on my computer any more in order to reinstall it! Plus my problem of having the drive not being recognised as existing at all persists. Please help.[/QUOTE]
Check the back of the drives see if the power and IDE/SATA cables are still connected.:wink:

No, still not working. Done everything you suggested.

More info:
-it’s a Toshiba Satellite (laptop)
-about 6 years old (that’s why it’s running XP)
-I pretty much only use it for offline work (as I have a desktop for online stuff)
-This problem occurred in the past, and although I’m sure I tried stuff to fix it, nothing really worked - but I kept on just trying it and eventually it just did. I wish that would happen this time, but so far it hasn’t.
-Now it won’t even open the DVD drive! After this problem started, I could press the button to make the DVD drive open and it would open. Now that’s not happening, so I don’t know how to try and make it ‘try working’. (This happened before I followed the steps you outlined, so is just a random thing as far as I know)
-yesterday when I was putting stuff in the drive, it would, some of the times, make horrendous swishing/chugging noises (even without a disc in at all), but then it would revert to sounding comparatively normal

In summary, I have now updated my AnyDVD program on my laptop to the latest version (that installer you suggested wasn’t helpful - just took me to a page with a list of AnyDVD programs: there wan’t any instructions about what I should do when I got there. But I checked an old email I’d gotten from AnyDVD about updating my version, and that had instructions about how to do so). As it so happens, I did another search on my computer and this time I did find AnyDVD there, and reinstalled it from my own computer (first - before upgrading).
Downloading ImgBurn was a pain in the neck, what with it asking me to also install subsidiary programs that I’ll never want every couple of seconds. And I don’t burn stuff from the internet (practically not at all, even with my desktop), and was therefore thinking “so why am I even downloading this program?” But I proceeded anyway. After it was downloaded, I followed your instructions about removing the filters (an action that will probably come back to haunt me some time down the track, grrr), I then rebooted - but the computer still doesn’t recognise the fact that there is very blatantly a DVD drive in my laptop. Which means that AnyDVD is completely moot for me now. How can it help play my DVDs (what I got it for - I have a number of DVDs that I purchased legally from DVD stores that are nevertheless in different zones: why should I not be able to play legally purchased DVDs on my own computer? That’s stupid - but also another topic of conversation), when my computer doesn’t even realise it HAS a DVD drive (this drive, when operational, will play and burn CDs, and play DVDs)!

Sorry, I didn’t realise you were unfamiliar with downloading and installing things but I’m still not sure why you had so many difficulties doing so.

Just to clarify, the link I gave you was for SlySoft’s download page. All you do from there is click on the ‘Download’ link next to the program you’re after then download and save the program to somewhere on your hard drive prior to running it.

The only subsidiary program that ImgBurn offers to install is the ‘Ask Toolbar’ which is disabled with a single click so I’m not quite clear as to what all this other software is that you’re referring to.

Regardless though, if there’s stuff popping up that shouldn’t be then I’d suggest running both a malware scan and a virus scan as that could be caused by something sinister which may also be interfering with the detection of your DVD drive.

All that deleting the filters does is force Windows to reinstall them. If the registry entries have been corrupted then this is the standard method of attempting to fix them.

If deleting the filters doesn’t work then Microsoft recommend the following:-

[ul]
[li]Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
[/li][li]Click System and Maintenance, and then click System,
[/li][li]On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
[/li][li]In Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then click Uninstall.
[/li][li]When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, click OK.
[/li][li]Restart the computer.
[/li][/ul]
If you have any difficulties with those instructions please get back to me and I’ll do my best to explain it further.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Mostly ditto on Wombler’s post #5 .
I hadn’t installed the latest ImgBurn so I uninstalled my old version & downloaded the newest one.
It went as Wombler posted only thing extra was to uncheck the Ask toolbar.
If you kept track I would be interested in what extra programs ImgBurn wanted to install.
Did you maybe choose to download the "Free CD/DVD Burner " ?
This is an add on the ImgBurn site & not ImgBurn. If you did you would not be the first one.
So try Womblers instructions .