It says I have 20% fragmentation and not much I can do about it. I used Windows

I just defragmented my hdd. It says I have 20% fragmentation and not much I can do about it. I used Windows

Defragger. Is there another free defragger I should be using that could better help with my fragmentation problem?

I’ve included the test report, if that helps. By the way, I cannot delete the fragmented files. They are crucial

and I cannot even modify them. Is there another way to solve the fragmentation dilema?

Volume (C:)
Volume size = 27.95 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 22.50 GB
Free space = 5.45 GB
Percent free space = 19 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 20 %
File fragmentation = 41 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 33,714
Average file size = 789 KB
Total fragmented files = 18
Total excess fragments = 4,616
Average fragments per file = 1.13

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 336 MB
Total fragments = 1

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 2,375
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 43 MB
MFT record count = 36,253
Percent MFT in use = 82 %
Total MFT fragments = 3

Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
3 347 MB The following 9 files are current Bitcomet downloads.
6 350 MB
13 350 MB
4 350 MB
10 350 MB
8 350 MB
4 350 MB
5 636 MB
43 700 MB
3,607 1.15 GB The following 3 files are large archives I’m sharing on DC++
56 1.15 GB
859 1.24 GB

Raxco Perfect Disk has a “Smart Placement” thing that works well, in addition to the standard defrag that doesn’t factor in file use.

They also have an option you can check named AGGRESSIVE FREESPACE CONSOLIDATION or something similar, that after a reboot does a great job.

If the files that you have are completed downloads, there should be no reason why you cannot backup the files to DVD or external hard drive, then delete them off of the master drive, do a defrag, then copy them back over after the defrag, right?

Some things to try:

-Run a disk scan for errors

• Copy (move) the fragmented (non-system) files, such as the DC++ share and Bitcomet downloads to another partition, defrag, then move them back (shut down any applications accessing them before hand).

• Shut down all programs that might be accessing the HD (P2P, System Restore, Norton GoBack, Antivirus, etc.) then defrag.

I don’t know about free defraggers, but PerfectDisk by Raxco software is an excellent defragging utility, well worth every penny. I wouldn’t touch another defrag utility with a 10ft pole.

good luck

Looks like Version 8 is around the corner:

http://www.raxco.com/

Not sure if a demo would be helpful, but they do have them, I believe. Something called Perfect Disk Live is on there too.

This is what I use and it is free

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207

O&O is superb…so far I’ve only used it for the trial period…very impressed.
linky

Isn’t that the same basic thing that is built into Windows?