It plays here but not there

vbimport

Ok, I burned a cd for my wife, I used Nero and a Verbatim cd on a HP burner. The cd plays fine in the computer, in my old stereo in the family room, in my mom’s Nissan Sentra,in my 98 Nissan Maxima cd changer but it does not play im my wife’s 2006 Volvo car stereo. It plays all the other cds including the ones I burned with my old BenQ burner. I did the cd at 16 x the slowest speed.It plays the other Verbatim cds but not the last two. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andres

Imgburn will burn a compliant cd for the volvo, check out the Imgburn thread for details.

Thanks, does it mean Nero is not compliant with Volvo?Or is it HP 1040d burner? I have always used Nero and the cds played fine with the stereo, they stopped all the sudden. I will try the thread but this is odd. Doesn’t IMGBurn conflicts with Nero?

No conflicts with Nero, Some decks are more picky about what they play, Imgburn will make as close to a pressed CD as can be made, IMHO.

Thanks again, what I manage to read there is not really an answer, Volvo’s car steroes are picky, I burned Maxwell cheapo cds with my BenQ and they plated fine in the volvo, now I have better media and a new burner and the cds will not play!!! They play everywhere though. I could not find the Volvo, imgburn therad though. Do you have a link?

No thread on Volvo just info how to burn a proper cd, as in picky type of media (burned) that it will read, but a better chance with Imgburn for the deck to read it than nero.

Here is the link to cd burning with Imgburn:

From your first post "I did the cd at 16 x the slowest speed."
that my friend is the slowest not slow at all :eek:

Thanks Stormjumper missed that (I hate nero for cd’s) but yes the jitter at 16x is probably the reason it will not play in the Volvo, try 4x-6x and see, but I still would use Imgburn.

[QUOTE=goido;2007231]Thanks again, what I manage to read there is not really an answer, Volvo’s car steroes are picky, I burned Maxwell cheapo cds with my BenQ and they plated fine in the volvo, now I have better media and a new burner and the cds will not play!!! They play everywhere though. I could not find the Volvo, imgburn therad though. Do you have a link?[/QUOTE]

What I think he was implying (please correct me if I am wrong), is any player can be a little bit picky, some much more than others. As far as the rest, quality doesn’t ensure compatibility. The cd player in the volvo just may not like reading that brand of blank disk (even if it were the highest quality disk out there, its compatibility with the player, not the quality of either that matters). The volvo player might be fine with reading the media, but it might not like how that particular burner is burning it (not that the burn is bad, but burned on another burner, it might work).

I’m the oppisite of a guru on cd (I do almost exclusively dvd), but with optical media in general, compatibility will always be an issue (many manufactures making things to an allowable range of specs to be standard, not an exact range of specs). The way I see your situation, 4 out of 5 players play the disk fine, which means its probably a pretty good disk (compatibility issues with burned media are normal). Further, going off my experience with dvd (again, someone correct me if it doesn’t apply to cd like I think it does), a volvo is not the cheapest car in the world. It probably has a pretty good stereo. Better players, can actually be worse for compatibility. If a cheap player hits an error, its got good chances of just blowing past the error ignoring it (which might hurt playback quality under the right circumstances). An expensive player isn’t going to ignore those errors so easilly, its going to try again to read them (to ensure you the best quality playback). It can often reread the data and get it, improving playback quality. problem is, if its an error it cannot reread, it might get stuck (possibly just momentarilly), cause it tryed to hard, where the cheaper player would have just blown past it (hurting overall playback quality, not a good atribute for a high quality machine, but better for playability on burned disks).

If you are tired of me babeling on, then in other words, just try diffrent media. Its not nesasarilly that the disks or the burner are bad, but somewhere in there seems to be an incompatibility with the volvo player. If several diffrent medias dont work (or a few diffrent ones or whatever), then maybe the volvo stereo doesn’t like the way the hp burner burns (it doesn’t mean the hp is a bad drive, 4 players liked it, it’s just a compatibility issue). Many of us have several burners here, and in fact, even having 2 burners can help with these issues (try diffrent media, if that doesn’t work, try a diffrent burner). A second burner only cost 30$ (in the US anyway), and its worth having. Liking to experiment and play is not the only reason to have several drives. there are functional advantages to multiple burners (even if it is just 2).

Just my 2 cents worth. I’m not well educated on cd burning (dont want or need to be now), but just giving generals on optical burning that I hope might help…

Thank you guys for your help. Nero has a feature to set the burner speed but it defaults to 16x, I downloaded IMGBurn and I will try that. I think it may be the burner :frowning: because the Volvo stereo played the cds burned on my old TEAC cdrom and my BenQ but these burners allowed be to burn at 4x. Is there a way to have Nero lower the speed to 4x, what about Imgburn, would it make my burner go 4x on a cd burn? I tried TDK music cds and they would nor play.

Thanks!!

BUrning a CD at speeds lower than 16X is not a guarantee that your volvo stereo will read it.
There are several threads reagarding burning CDs at slow speeds for compatibility, search them.
In my case, for audio I burn at 16X and 24X. For my personal use I only burn MIJ Fuji 48X and Verbatim Digital Vinyl 16X media. For sharing music I use whatever is available/cheap and, again I burn at 16X or 24X. I burn with Itunes, and nobody complains.