Issues with UEFI defaults being set

Sometimes I get on startup “UEFI defaults have been loaded, press F2 to enter setup or F1 to continue.” I have an Asrock motherboard, and at https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/uefi-defaults-have-been-loaded.2754234/ I found 2 other users with Asrock motherboard having the same problem. Does anyone know cause of or fix for this problem, and do you think this may be a fault or failure associated with Astock motherboards?

Back in the bad old days, I would have suggested installing a new CR2032 coin battery into the board. Might still be worth a go if not only to eliminate the possibility of it being a faulty/flat battery not keeping the settings.

Yes. It’s certainly worth changing the battery as biggles77 mentioned.
After changing the battery, enter the UEFI. Make any required changes, and even if you don’t make any changes, remember to SAVE the UEFI.

If that doesn’t cure it, then you could try switching from BIOS A to BIOS B via a switch on the motherboard. Most AsRock boards have 2x BIOS chips.

I’m assuming you are not overclocking the system. if you are. It loading the default options at cold boot suggests your overclock is not stable. Most likely the DRAM, especially if you’re using an XMP profile.

if the above doesn’t help, then post details of the motherboard, CPU, and DRAM make and model, and lets see if we can troubleshoot the problem.

1 Like

No overclocking. In the past I’ve seen PC clock lose time when battery is bad but haven’t seen that in this instance. I can change the battery anyway if it’s still a possible problem even though clock isn’t losing time.

Is there an option to save the BIOS in Setup? Will it revert to the saved BIOS instead of defaults when a similar problem occurs, or is there an option to restore the saved BIOS?

If it goes to default at cold boot then as far as I now it’s because of one or more of the following reasons that the mobo can’t POST.

1, The battery can’t maintain the settings in CMOS.
2, The CMOS has become corrupted.
3, The BIOS chip is corrupted.
4, The system isn’t stable from COLD BOOT (usually DRAM).

When you SAVE from the BIOS screen, you are saving the settings to CMOS. Not the BIOS chip itself. You will have to SAVE (even the default settings), so its saved to CMOS. Otherwise it will just show that same message every time you COLD BOOT.

Some BIOS allow to save profiles to HDD, which you can then load back into CMOS.

If the board can’t maintain the CMOS RAM when the power is switched off from the PC.
1, Either the battery needs replacing.
2, The CMOS RAM is faulty, which will require a new motherboard.
3, There is a fault in the circuit between the battery and the CMOS RAM. Again this require you replace the motherboard.
4, The system is unstable even at default settings. This can normally be fixed by changing some voltages manually. Normally DRAM settings.
It’s not dangerous to do this, but I would require more hardware info, and I could most likely guide you through the required settings.

You may well ask, why is this suddenly a problem now?
Silicon degrades over time, and most likely the memory controller in CPU has degraded to the point where it can’t POST with the DRAM timings set in CMOS.
Sometimes it requires a little more voltage to get it stable again. No big deal, and quite easy to do. :slight_smile:

Memtest86 was run and found no errors in memory, and Seagate SeaTools was run on hard drives which showed both hard drives passed the Generic long test. The issue only occurs at cold boot and has never caused a problem while running Windows or on restarts required by software install.

I’ve never seen a weak battery not cause PC clock to lose time. Can the battery be bad and the clock continue to keep correct time? I suspect it’s either the voltage issue you mention or 2, The CMOS RAM is faulty, which will require a new motherboard… If it’s 2, The CMOS RAM is faulty, which will require a new motherboard., would a BIOS update possibly fix that problem, or is a motherboard replacement the only fix?

A BIOS update is very unlikely to fix a hardware defect.

Just a thought.
MS has been rolling out MicroCode updates for most Intel CPU’s via Windows update.
That new microcode usually requires a BIOS update to function correctly.
It may be worth trying the latest BIOS for your motherboard. Having said that, the microcode shouldn’t have updated without a compatible BIOS being on the system. But it’s certainly worth trying a BIOS update.

I replaced the battery with new one and so far so good, but I won’t know for sure for few days whether the problem may continue. However, I suspect the motherboard may have gone bad. I didn’t mention it before, but when the BIOS resetting problem occurred, I also had problems with hard drives being recognized in both the BIOS and in Windows resulting in startup problems. The only way I could get drives correctly recognized was to try different sata ports. This problem in addition to the BIOS reset problem supports the conclusion that it’s likely a bad motherboard I think.

If CMOS was reset because of a bad battery, then the SATA mode may be set in IDE, rather than AHCI mode.
I would check that setting, then switch the HDD’s back to the original SATA ports before you condemn the motherboard.
What is the model number of the mobo?

Asrock H77M is the mobo model number. There have been no more BIOS resets or hard drive recognition issues since new battery was installed. It appears a bad battery may have been the cause of both problems, and I’ll post back here if the problems recur.
SATA is set to IDE mode because I dual boot Win10 and WinXP, and WinXP will boot only if SATA is set to IDE mode.
There’s 1 other small problem I noticed for Internet Explorer 11 in Win10. According to several searches I did right click at top o IE11 and place check by “Show tabs on a separate line” is supposed to result in a search box appearing to the riightt of the address window. However, this results in no search box showing in my IE11. Does anyone know anything about this problem or know how to fix it? It’s no big problem since I use Firefox for most browsing and use IE only when required by certain sites, but it’s perplexing why my IE11 doesn’t behave like it should.