Issues with new BenQ DW1650

vbimport

Scans with this drive have been less than great, and I was lead to believe (reading here) that it was a good, reliable burner.

Device buffer jumps around like mad in Nero 7 -and- ImgBurn, anywhere from 19 to 99%, and in ImgBurn write speed changes with it. Is this the power-stepping system working? This is my first BenQ, so I’m not familiar with how they do things. Until now I’ve owned all Sony/LiteON drives.

I don’t think it’s a cabling issue, since I’ve got a LiteON SHW-1635S on the same cable (and previously, in the same spot the BenQ is in now) that writes just fine. I don’t think it’s media – I’m using HP branded 16X DVD-R’s, Disc ID CMC MAG. AM3, and burning at anwhere from 8x to 16x with comperable results.

Ideas, anyone? Lots of green downward spikes in CD-DVD Speed scans… and while the discs read OK, the drive (and others trying to read them) thrash a lot when they get to these points.

General Information
Drive: BENQ DVD DD DW1650
Firmware: BCHC
Disc: DVD-R (CMC MAG. AM3)
Selected speed: 8 X
PI errors
Maximum: 14
Average: 5.02
Total: 53403
PI failures
Maximum: 6
Average: 0.11
Total: 973
PO failures: 0
Jitter
Maximum: 12.0 %
Average: 8.92 %
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 9:27
Number of samples: 17145
Average scanning interval: 8.00 ECC
Glitches removed: 0

silentcircuit, that must be the longest/biggest picture posted here. Next time just click the floppy symbol at top of cd-DVD Speed window and save your scan picture. Awful windows (blinds?) theme you have there. :wink:

Scan speed “dips” is a known problem, if you take your time and read in this forum section you’ll see almost all have the same. This is firmware related and nothing “wrong” or anything that should affect your drive.

Finally, that’s a good burn. Enable SolidBurn and let drive to learn your media.
Happy burning. :slight_smile:

Post the result of the Nero CD-DVD Speed burst transfer test, you need a disk with some data in the drive to run the test. It should display about 23 MB/sec.
Check the DMA settings of your source and target drive.

Exactly 23MB/sec (23949KB/sec), actually.
The BENQ is at UDMA 2, though, which is odd given my two Sony/LiteON drives are at UDMA 3 and 4, Combo drive and DVDRW respectively.

I got a burst rate of 44MB/sec from the Sony/LiteON DVDRW (DW-Q30A/SHW-1635S). Why is this BenQ so slow? Is this normal? I’m seriously considering returning this thing to NewEgg. Not happy with it at all.

I’ve got a single SATA harddrive at the moment, so I connected the BenQ as Primary Master (end of the cable, set jumpers not cable select, Antec CobraCables) since the other two optical drives were on the secondary channel already. Could this be causing problems? I’ve got the latest drivers from ULi for my board, so I doubt it’s that.

Don’t know where to check UDMA status on the SATA drive, but I don’t think it’s the issue, since I get nice clean burns with the SHW-1635S at 16X on this same media, so it must be able to dish it out quickly enough.

Machine specs, just in case:

Athlon 64 3500+
Gigabyte GA-K8U-939
Sapphire Radeon X800XT
SoundBlaster X-Fi
1GB (2x512) PQI TurboMemory

200GB Maxtor SATA harddrive
Sony branded crossflashed LiteOn SOHC-5236K combo drive
Sony branded crossflashed LiteOn SHW-1635S DVD+/-RW
BenQ DW1650 DVD+/-RW

It is not slow.

UDMA2 is perfectly fine for internal 16x burning/reading (Which is pretty much the practical maximum speed DVD drives can reach physically anyway, or 18x if you believe the hype :wink: )

But the burst rate is almost half that of the LiteON drive…

… which does not matter at all.

whether your burst rate is 20 or 200mb/s it doens’t matter…you’re still going to get 16x burn speed no problem.

the scan you posted looks like a pretty darn good burn to me especially ocnsidering that it’s by no means top of the line media that you’re using.

Another couple of related questions.

I’ve noticed in CD-DVD Speed that my Lite-ON doesn’t report/show jitter, but the BenQ does and it’s usually around or a little less than 8%. Is this a lot? I’ve read a little on jitter and apparently anything below 12% is in spec (I think) but no one has said what’s “good” – “in spec” can be something of a joke, sometimes.

When you measure jitter with a BenQ 1650 I don’t think you can get below 7% on CD media and not much below 7% on DVD media from what I have seen, so 8% is very good!

Under 8% is excellent with BenQ drives.