Issues with MP3 tags

OK so first post, it seems like there is tonnes of great users and product info on this site, im excited, and hope i can help in return at some point!

So i am trying to do something relatively simple, im making MP3 CD’s for my car, just got a new one which displays the info as its playing etc so started to burn some CD’s and am noticing a few issues im REALLY hoping to get some help with! There are a # of questions in here any help with any part of it will be greatly appreciated.

1.) Some of the songs say there is no ID3 tag available even though they are tagged and show correctly on my PC. Is there a tag editing program i could DL that will show me exactly what the MP3 tags will display as (or confirm the tags i guess) before burning to disc?

2.) I’ve read id3 v2 is whats best for most mp3 files, is there is version (.2, .3, or .4 that works best or is this dependant upon the stero itself)

3.) Also some files that have ID3 tags show some extra charachters (for instance a 0 at the end of every section which looks like this… Learn To Fly0 / Foo Fighters0 / There Is Nothing Left To Lose0 Any ideas on how to fix this or what causes it?

4.) Should mp3’s have both v1 and v2 tags or could this be whats causing some of the issues?

Thanks so much, sorry for all the questions at once!

1.) Some of the songs say there is no ID3 tag available even though they are tagged and show correctly on my PC. Is there a tag editing program i could DL that will show me exactly what the MP3 tags will display as (or confirm the tags i guess) before burning to disc?

What did you rip with? and you can use foobar2k or mp3Tag to edit…

2.) I’ve read id3 v2 is whats best for most mp3 files, is there is version (.2, .3, or .4 that works best or is this dependant upon the stereo itself)

Depends on what the player or device supports…Some have issues with v2…Others, having both doesn’t hurt…

3.) Also some files that have ID3 tags show some extra charachters (for instance a 0 at the end of every section which looks like this… Learn To Fly0 / Foo Fighters0 / There Is Nothing Left To Lose0 Any ideas on how to fix this or what causes it
?

Again what tools have you used? Edit them with MP3tag or similar app.

4.) Should mp3’s have both v1 and v2 tags or could this be whats causing some of the issues?

Could be! what does your particular player support, and go with that…

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=71206

Thanks so much, sorry for all the questions at once!
Macesac is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

Most of the files are ripped with iTunes, showing the id3 tag version as 2.3, and when opened in mp3 tag editors always show up correctly.

My car’s stereo maual says the MP3 CD player supports v2, doesnt specift between v2.2, 2.3 or 2.4. Would it be safe t oassume that is supports all v2’s?

Ok will try this again but it appears that the files are tagged correctly when i open them in id3 tagger program.

it says it supports v2, but doesn’t tell me whether its v2.2 or v2.3.

oh something elsei noticed, alot of the mp3’s have info in the comment field, would that have any effect on the id3 tags or how they are displayed. Doesnt say anything in car stereo support on this at all.