Issues with Lionsgate DVDs

Ok. So I go and rent 1 lionsgate movie and buy another one. The problem is is I have an HTPC. I have no stand alone dvd player (because lets face it, most people have a computer which will play a dvd or is at least supposed to play a dvd) Niether disc will play. it either will not be recognized by the computer (gives a No DVD in Drive) or it will see it but when you try to play it displays “Copy Protect Fail” this has been tried on 2 DVD RW drives, and 2 DVD-DL Drives. Then I go and stick it in my parents 10 yo DVD player (after a 30 minute drive) and it works without a problem…

So what gives… anyone know? I know it has to do with the copy protection on the disk. The one specific one which I own would be the “Fists of the warrior” DVD.

I have the newest dvdfab and it just does not get anywhere with it either (depending on the drive either it will not read it (you can hear hte drive spool clikc, spool click" or it will see it and DVD fab will just go on forever with “opening source” if you try to cancel it out or eject the disk or anything at all it will hang the system.

When you just try to play your dvd, not break encryption, what software are you using?

Have you tried playing the dvd in VLC media player? www.videolan.org

Can you right click on the drive with the disk and explore the contents of the disk? I want to see if the drives can read it at all, without necessarily playing the movie.

And last, if you haven’t already used up the trial period, you might try the latest version of AnyDVD to break encryption.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2223220]When you just try to play your dvd, not break encryption, what software are you using?

Have you tried playing the dvd in VLC media player? www.videolan.org

Can you right click on the drive with the disk and explore the contents of the disk? I want to see if the drives can read it at all, without necessarily playing the movie.

And last, if you haven’t already used up the trial period, you might try the latest version of AnyDVD to break encryption.[/QUOTE]

Ok. My NEC 3550 Will not even read the disk. My RW5420 will see the disk, and allows me to explore it.

I was using Media Player Classic (newest release) to play the movies. Movies from Lionsgate and Wall-E are the only movies with the problem of them not working on the computer.

I just tried VLC player. It immediate locks as soon as you try to play a disk, requiring a reboot.

AnyDVD has an interesting issue. I can have “My computer” open looking at the disk. It shows the title of the Disk, can explore disk. However the moment I start AnyDVD, the disk immediately vanishes. No title, can no longer browse disk. And Kills the drive (will not even eject the disk until I reboot)

I dunno About you, but with HTPC’s being sold on the market to do exactly what I am doing, this is some BS that the company is trying to pull. Especially since there is not a store anywhere anymore which will let you return a DVD. only for exchange, of the SAME DVD…

Normally you have AnyDVD working in the background before inserting the disk. Have you tried it that way? Do you get the little popup message saying AnyDVD is examining the disk?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2223273]Normally you have AnyDVD working in the background before inserting the disk. Have you tried it that way? Do you get the little popup message saying AnyDVD is examining the disk?[/QUOTE]

If I try it the other way the drive NEVER sees the disk. and yes I get the message, and the drive never spins, which means it can not possibly be examining anything. As soon as I load the disk in with anydvd on, the drive goes down. Eject button no longer works, no reading of the disk. nothing at all. the drive becomes completely unresponsive. (also tried this on a sony viao, same exact situation, drive becomes unresponsive with anydvd active with the disk put in either before or after turning anydvd on. the sony will also see the disk, browse the disk, but will not play the disk. it locks the computer upon trying.) (using the same methods as mentioned above with MPC first, the VLC, then with anydvd.)

So it does not matter what I put it in on a computer apparently. it disables the drives, and or locks the computer. The only DVD player that has been able to read it was my parents. I am thinking there is a small data track on the disc which is read when the DVD first polls which is doing all this damage.

I’m afraid I’m out of ideas for this problem. Without a log file from AnyDVD, you can’t even report it to Slysoft to find out if this is a new protection scheme they haven’t encountered yet.

Edit: I’ve asked someone else to look in on this thread…maybe he or someone else will spot something obvious we’re missing.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2223284]I’m afraid I’m out of ideas for this problem. Without a log file from AnyDVD, you can’t even report it to Slysoft to find out if this is a new protection scheme they haven’t encountered yet.

Edit: I’ve asked someone else to look in on this thread…maybe he or someone else will spot something obvious we’re missing.[/QUOTE]

Cool. and yea. Shutting the drive down so you can not even get a Log file from a program, you can not break the encryption, or figure out why it is doing what it is doing.

The dvd has been out for like no more than 5 days. the title is “Fist of the warrior” by lionsgate studio.

Just a note. I finally put back the original drive I tried ( the NEC 3550a) and it will not longer read ANY disk at all that is put into it. Not a black DVD, not a cd, not a regular dvd nothing. Not 5 minutes before I tried that disk it was working perfect ( since I had just burned a disc using it). Ever since that disk I have had nothing but troubles. As it stands I lost an entire disk to bad NTSF partition. was watching an anime on the thing, restarted, and it is ALL gone on my 300GB drive. Of course there is no real way to fix an MFT, especially when chkdsk can not do it, so I am recovering names so I can reDL them (no worries, all legal as they are non-lisensed) It also took out my media drive with my music on it (bought and paid for) and a few digital copies of movies (bought and paid for), and a bunch of pictures.

Now I am not sure if it is coincidence, but it all started with that disk. talk about killing the night.I reallllly hate them people who go about doing things like that. If I remember right there have been a few copy protection schemes where such similar things have happened. Starforce was one of them. Good for bricking a drive. wonder if something similar is going on here.

Try changing your IDE ribbon. If you are having a problem with DVD Fab you cannot have anydvd running. They conflict. I have seen this problem before but I think the way that was solved, was people not buying the software ( AnyDVD) I am not accussing you of that. It was just a thought.

Ok. So I go and [B]rent[/B] 1 lionsgate movie and buy another one.

Backing up movies you do not own is illegal, just another thought. Try disabling AnyDVD on startup and use the latest version of DVDFab if you own it. You can also try AnyDVD to decrypt in the background and use DVD Shrink to backup the file to your hdd. Once the file is decrypted you can use any burning application to burn it to disc.

Moved to [I]Copy Movie [/I]forum.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2223602]Try changing your IDE ribbon. If you are having a problem with DVD Fab you cannot have anydvd running. They conflict. I have seen this problem before but I think the way that was solved, was people not buying the software ( AnyDVD) I am not accussing you of that. It was just a thought.

Backing up movies you do not own is illegal, just another thought. Try disabling AnyDVD on startup and use the latest version of DVDFab if you own it. You can also try AnyDVD to decrypt in the background and use DVD Shrink to backup the file to your hdd. Once the file is decrypted you can use any burning application to burn it to disc.[/QUOTE]

If you were paying attention right behind that I said I BOUGHT one as well…
The issue was the same on both of them just trying to WATCH the dvd. They both would either not be seen, or I would get a “copy protect fail” message in the Player. After that (because i was not about to be charged for the rented dvd that one went back) I did the anydvd and the rest on the one I OWN. I generally just want to watch the movies. I have a DVD of the thing, no point in copying them for the most part unless I am going somewhere and want to watch a movie on the laptop.

And yes, i knew anydvd and dvdfab do not work together. Always make sure one is off before letting the other run. So that was not the issue. the Issue was simply there is a copy protection on this disc which will not allow you to WATCH the dvd on a computer. So it is a copy protection issue. not a copy issue. The anydvd was tried in order to get around the copy protect issue and allow me to watch. the DVDfab usage was simply to see if ANYTHING would see the disc, which it clearly does not. this disc does the same thing across 4 different computers AND my HTPC. Granted the only Drive that has quit working all together was on the HTPC. It will not see any disc at all now. So. Any suggestions on how to get the thing to PLAY on the computer? since it is a COPY PROTECTION issue disabling the drives from reading the disc?

[quote=Angelis83LT;2223842]If you were paying attention right behind that I said I BOUGHT one as well…
The issue was the same on both of them just trying to WATCH the dvd. They both would either not be seen, or I would get a “copy protect fail” message in the Player. After that (because i was not about to be charged for the rented dvd that one went back) I did the anydvd and the rest on the one I OWN. I generally just want to watch the movies. I have a DVD of the thing, no point in copying them for the most part unless I am going somewhere and want to watch a movie on the laptop.

And yes, i knew anydvd and dvdfab do not work together. Always make sure one is off before letting the other run. So that was not the issue. the Issue was simply there is a copy protection on this disc which will not allow you to WATCH the dvd on a computer. So it is a copy protection issue. not a copy issue. The anydvd was tried in order to get around the copy protect issue and allow me to watch. the DVDfab usage was simply to see if ANYTHING would see the disc, which it clearly does not. this disc does the same thing across 4 different computers AND my HTPC. Granted the only Drive that has quit working all together was on the HTPC. It will not see any disc at all now. So. Any suggestions on how to get the thing to PLAY on the computer? since it is a COPY PROTECTION issue disabling the drives from reading the disc?[/quote] I really have no idea what your problem is, I hope someone else can help you.[B] I am paying attention now[/B]. Have a good day.:wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2223907]I really have no idea what your problem is, I hope someone else can help you.[B] I am paying attention now[/B]. Have a good day.;)[/QUOTE]

Kk. and yea, there seems to be a HUGE issue with these DVD’s as I was told by the rental place when I took it back in. they said they have gone through 3 boxes full of Lionsgate DVD’s that will not play, or be recognized. SO this is definitely something to do with what they re doing to the discs for a copy protection. I have an e-mail into Lionsgate about the issue with the one I bought. So we will see what they have to say since it is more than 1000 DVD’s that are having the same issue.