Issues with HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20N

vbimport

Hi,
I’m having trouble with burning with my external Buffalo HL-DT-ST BD-RE burner and and unbranded CMCMAGBA5 bluray discs while trying to burn the discs with Imgburn. I always get this error:

I/O Error!
Device: [0:0:0] HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20N XJ04 (G: ) (USB)
ScsiStatus: 0x02
Interpretation: Check Condition
CDB: AA 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 00 20 40 00
Interpretation: Write (12) - Sectors: 32 - 63
Sense Area: 71 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 37 2D 03 B4 0C 00 00 00 00 00
Interpretation: Write Error

I’ve tried updating the firmware on my drive from XJ04 to XL07 but the DriveUpdater doesn’t recognise my drive at all.
Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to the forum :flower:

“Unbranded” CMCMAGBA5? Sounds a little scary, but hopefully your biggest problem is the old firmware. You can’t directly flash your Buffalo drive with LG firmware. As you discovered, it will not recognize the drive. I was not able to verify if the BA5 will be supported in the newer firmware. The safest route is to stick with older 2x and 4x BD-R discs ;).

If you are working with a Buffalo BRHC-6316 drive, you will find the tool you need to flash your drive to LG firmware in this thread. I see mention of successful updates to the Buffalo drive in that thread.

The log looks like its media fault time.
Get some decent BDs please and try again.

That may well be the whole problem. No guaratee that flashing to newer firmware will solve the problem.

Even the “BD-RE GGW-H20N” is now being an obsolete BD burner (or at least an old BD burner for old media).

Thanx for the replies guyz. I’ve updated the firmware to XN07 and I’ll try to burn some bd-r discs tonite. I was thinking of getting a Pioneer XD04T or a Samsung BD writer though both are only powered by USB . What do you think?

Great to hear! Did you make use of MCSE to perform the flash? Please let us know if this helps, we may help others with your experience?

Have a look in the burners forums for some results with the new USB drives.

Hi dean, yes I did use the MCSE tool to flash. Once again thanx.

More specifically, here :slight_smile:

You will also find results in the Samsung forum that look very encouraging for their USB.

Excellent. Please let us know if it behaves better with that firmware. This is the stuff that makes this forum great. We help you, you take that info and help us learn more ;). You’re always welcome.

[QUOTE=oki7;2661605]Thanx for the replies guyz. I’ve updated the firmware to XN07 and I’ll try to burn some bd-r discs tonite. I was thinking of getting a Pioneer XD04T or a Samsung BD writer though both are only powered by USB . What do you think?[/QUOTE]

I should probably mention the Samsung SE-506ab as a contender among USB drives. Results have been quite impressive.

[QUOTE=oki7;2661605]Thanx for the replies guyz. I’ve updated the firmware to XN07 and I’ll try to burn some bd-r discs tonite. I was thinking of getting a Pioneer XD04T or a Samsung BD writer though both are only powered by USB . What do you think?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2661646]I should probably mention the Samsung SE-506ab as a contender among USB drives. Results have been quite impressive.[/QUOTE]

That was the burner I was meaning but I couldn’t remember the model number!!

Meanwhile unfortunately the firmware update did not burn the CMCMAGBA5 discs either, and when I tried a Ritek disc it burnt with no problem. So I think it must be the discs that are at fault or maybe just a couple of the spindles that I have. I’ve also tried the discs on my Asus SBW-06C2X-U but the results were the same.

Darn! I was hoping you could get some use of those discs. At least your burner is a bit more up-to-date. Just for curiosity, where did you grab those “unlabeled” CMCs from?

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2661691]Darn! I was hoping you could get some use of those discs. At least your burner is a bit more up-to-date. Just for curiosity, where did you grab those “unlabeled” CMCs from?[/QUOTE]

I bought them in South Africa, while I was on holiday, from a company ironically called Blank Media which is a fairly reputable company. I really hope that the rest of the spindles I bought from them will be OK but I’m starting to lose hope.

The SN-506 is also a good drive, the internal variant of the SE-506.

[QUOTE=chef;2661859]The SN-506 is also a good drive, the internal variant of the SE-506.[/QUOTE]

Thanx chef. Actually I bought an SE-506 yesterday and I did manage to successfully burn one of my CMCMAG-BA5 discs with it. :slight_smile:

Yeah, its a great drive, even tho some have issues with the usb powering. :wink:

Hi! I am trying to burn my first Bluray disc using the same external Buffalo burner and get the exact same error info as the original poster. However, I am trying to burn to a Memorex 6X BD-R identified by Imgburn as “RITEK-BR3-000”. My firmware is also at XJ04. I bought a 15-pack spindle of these discs at Best Buy, and have tried 3 different ones with the same result. Since this is my first attempt at burning BD, should I assume a media incompatibility? What would be a safe alternative to try that is known to work with the Buffalo branded GGW-H20N? This is my first post here and, from what I’ve seen so far, it looks like a great forum!

Welcome to the forums SaminPgh.

I have a GGW-H20L, which may be close enough for me to help. I’ve used Verbatim brand BD-R discs with no issues. And now I’m using Smart Blu discs made by FTI, with the mid code TDKBLD-RBB-000 with very good results.

If you are in the US, you can find the Smart Blu discs at mediamegamall.com. They are a bit overboard on shipping/handling when ordering small amounts, I must warn you.

Thanks for the quick reply, Kerry. I think I’ll pick up singles of a few other brands and see if I get better results. This is a real newbie question, I’m sure, but would my chances be any better trying discs rated at speeds slower than 6x, since my burner is a few years old?