Here is how i fixed the problem:
I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, both the drive and IDE controller, wouldn’t read disks
I tested the drive in DOS, still wouldn’t read.
I tested the drive as a single drive on IDE, still wouldn’t read.
I tested the drive in a different machine, still wouldn’t read.
From this point one could assume the drive as dead. If under warranty, get it replaced.
I remember years ago an old CD-ROM did a similar thing to me. Being a curious fellow, i opened the casing and very carefully slid the lens mechanism backward and forward once (Based on the theory that this had locked up). Voila, it worked, and continued to work flawlessly for about 2 years afterward.
I applied this same theory to todays scenario. I am reading all disks again, and burning disks with no problems. For the sake of a $30, cheaply manufactured drive, this saved me another $30 and a trip to my hardware supplier.
Hope this information is of assistance to anyone.
My old faithfull slogan: Don’t ask me why…It just works.