Issue with Windows XP Pro. Please Help

Recently a family friend has given me an old desktop computer that they no longer needed. Since I already have both a Laptop and a desktop, I decided to give my old desktop to my nephews. While attempting to wipe the computer I came across the following issues;

1. When I inserted the Windows XP Pro disc and attempted to re-install the operating system (hence wiping everything off it) it came up and said: ‘Can not install Windows as the version on the computer is newer then the version on the disc’. As I am positive that it is the right disc I thought that maybe the fact that I had installed SP3 onto it (the disc is only SP1) I removed SP3 and all the programs. When I tried again I got the same message saying that the OS on the computer is newer then the one on the disc.

2. I then decided that I would probe the internet for any information helping me to remove the OS, or wipe the computer without the Windows disc. The only helpful things I could find was to either: Install a version of Linux on to the computer and then delete the portion containing windows, then reinstall windows and delete the portion that had Linux… or use “Darik’s Boot And Nuke”. Darik’s Boot And Nuke was a bit extreme as it would actually permanently erase the hard disk and replace it with random 1 & 0s, when all I wanted was to wipe/format it.

If anyone could help me in any way, I would very very very much appreciate it. Also if anyone knows why the issue is occurring with my Windows disc, I will be forever grateful.

Thanks in advanced.

• Smartest.

Welcome to CDFreaks!!

It looks like you’re trying to install win xp pro sp1 on the top of win xp pro sp1. This is the reasong why you get this message.

You have to boot with win xp pro sp1 CD and when asked, format the drive where you want to install windows. This way, you’ll weap out everything from your hard drive and you’ll be able to perform the installation.

But, before doing so, it is a good idea to incorporate SP3 to your installation CD. The process is called slipstreaming and you’ll find plenty of guides on the internet, if you search eg “how to slipstream sp3 windows xp”. This way, you won’t need to download all the updates from SP1 up to SP3 (about 6-7 years), but only the post SP3 ones (about one year) :wink:

Good luck!

Thank you for your help.

I have tried restarting the computer with the disc in so it will autoboot from it. Instead of doing this it starts windows up like normal. Sorry I probably should have mentioned that :stuck_out_tongue:

Also thanks for your help with slipstreaming, I will certainly do this.

:cool:

I have tried restarting the computer with the disc in so it will autoboot from it. Instead of doing this it starts windows up like normal. Sorry I probably should have mentioned that :stuck_out_tongue:

Have you checked in your BIOS the devices boot order? It should have your CD/DVD as first boot device, then your hard disc.

Also thanks for your help with slipstreaming, I will certainly do this.

:iagree:

Hi,[QUOTE=Smartest;2278239]

I have tried restarting the computer with the disc in so it will autoboot from it. Instead of doing this it starts windows up like normal. Sorry I probably should have mentioned that[/QUOTE]You need to watch the screen when booting :wink: A Windows install disc will show a short “press any key to boot from CD” message. If you didn’t press a key, then the computer would boot from the HDD.

Another option to wipe the HDD would be the diagnostic tools from the HDD manufacturer. If you only want to get rid of the existing partitions, Gparted is a nice, free solution.

Michael

Get the free download of nLite and install it to make the slipstreaming very easy.

:doh: Yeap, Michael (as usually) is right! Check this first and then the BIOS settings I mentioned.

Thanks, I did watch it start up but it just seemed to say the same information that it normally does. I will restart it and pay closer attention.

Thank you Micheal.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2278273]Hi,You need to watch the screen when booting :wink: A Windows install disc will show a short “press any key to boot from CD” message. If you didn’t press a key, then the computer would boot from the HDD.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I briefly watched the startup. But I did not pay too much attention. Ill reboot and watch it like a hawk.

[QUOTE=yyy;2278241]Have you checked in your BIOS the devices boot order? It should have your CD/DVD as first boot device, then your hard disc.[/QUOTE]

How do i check the boot order?

[QUOTE=bevills1;2278300]Get the free download of nLite and install it to make the slipstreaming very easy.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, will do :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Smartest;2279937]Thanks, I did watch it start up but it just seemed to say the same information that it normally does. I will restart it and pay closer attention.

Thank you Micheal.[/QUOTE]
If you do not see the “boot from cd” prompt you need to change the boot order in the bios as someone else mentioned in a previous post.

The F1 key or the Delete key are the 2 main ways to get into the Bios to change the boot order.