Issue with burning DVD+R's with an ND 1100A

I’m hoping someone can help me with a problem I’ve been grappling with for days.
I am trying to burn a movie on a DVD+R so I can play it on a standalone DVD player. This initially did not work because the book type was not set. I updated my firmware (courtesy of Hermie) to 1.08v2, so my ND 1100A is now a 1300A. I got DVDInfoPro and changed the book type to DVD-ROM and burned with DVD Decrypter, but it still won’t play in either of my standalone players. I know that the book type change worked because the second disc plays in my DVD-ROM drive, whereas the first one does not. I know it’s not the discs because they are genuine Taiyo Yudens.
Any input/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

[QUOTE=Ego Tripper;1969701]I’m hoping someone can help me with a problem I’ve been grappling with for days.
I am trying to burn a movie on a DVD+R so I can play it on a standalone DVD player. This initially did not work because the book type was not set. I updated my firmware (courtesy of Hermie) to 1.08v2, so my ND 1100A is now a 1300A. I got DVDInfoPro and changed the book type to DVD-ROM and burned with DVD Decrypter, but it still won’t play in either of my standalone players. I know that the book type change worked because the second disc plays in my DVD-ROM drive, whereas the first one does not. I know it’s not the discs because they are genuine Taiyo Yudens.
Any input/assistance would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

My buddy had a standalone player one time that, no matter what I did it wouldn’t play burned dvd’s. +R, -R, booktyped or not it would not play them, & I could take them straight in the other room & put them on another standalone & they would play great. Something wierd though, the standalone that wouldn’t play any burned disk, the only thing it would play was a Verbatim Dvd +R DL booktyped to Dvd-Rom. I think it tricked it into believing it was a genuine pressed dvd-rom. Try that because I am curious to see if it works, even though i’m sure that doesn’t solve your problem since you probably don’t do all of your backups on DL media. :wink:

Thanks for the suggestion, but no I don’t backup on DL; I can’t even burn DL discs. :frowning:
The possibility that it won’t play anything seems unlikely: I checked out my DVD player (Panasonic DVD-RP56) at videohelp and it appears capable of playing +R’s, including Taiyo Yuden.

Some older standalones will only play -R’s.

[QUOTE=Ego Tripper;1969843]Thanks for the suggestion, but no I don’t backup on DL; I can’t even burn DL discs. :frowning:
The possibility that it won’t play anything seems unlikely: I checked out my DVD player (Panasonic DVD-RP56) at videohelp and it appears capable of playing +R’s, including Taiyo Yuden.[/QUOTE]

Oledr Pana standalones will only accept -R or +R booktyped to DVD-ROM, and they will not accept DVDs burnt faster than 8x!

Also, even you have crossflashed your 1100 to 1300 now, it is still and old and for -R totally unreliable burner.
And to make things clear, no 1100 or 1300 can burn any DL media.

Yeah, I know it’s not the best drive for -R’s, which is why I’m using +R’s. Plus, +R’s are a more fully realized technology, so if I can burn them, I’d like to.
My standalone player is old, but at this forum at videohelp.com my player appears capable of handling -R(W) & +R(W).
The burner wont burn faster than 4x, even with the patched firmware, so burn speed can’t be the source of the problem.
Do I need to update my player’s firmware? If so, what does that entail?

[QUOTE=Ego Tripper;1970089]Yeah, I know it’s not the best drive for -R’s, which is why I’m using +R’s. [B]Plus, +R’s are a more fully realized technology,[/B] so if I can burn them, I’d like to.
My standalone player is old, but at this forum at videohelp.com my player appears capable of handling -R(W) & +R(W).
The burner wont burn faster than 4x, even with the patched firmware, so burn speed can’t be the source of the problem.
Do I need to update my player’s firmware? If so, what does that entail?[/QUOTE]

I don’t think so.
Who told you that??

1.0c is the latest up-to-date firmware for real 1300s, AFAIK.
No idea if it would be adviceable to use that with a crossflashed one.

Regarding the player, I hardly doubt there will be even one update available for it.

I don’t think so.
Who told you that??

This article makes a pretty good case for DVD+R being a “more fully realized technology”: http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW

As for the firmware, I was referring to the standalone. I went and updated the firmware on it (for lack of any better ideas) and to my surprise, it actually worked! My Panasonic DVD-RP56 will now play DVD+R’s, with [I]or[/I] without bitsetting. Now if only I could get some updated firmware for my Audiovox DV1201…:rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone who posted their suggestions!