ISP download caps, perfect method to stop file-swapping?

Here In Germany we have DSL, but only in City´s and other bigger landscapes. There we have a flatrare für about 55 €. ISDN Flat is dead in germnay prohited by LAW :r The DSL Flatrate will be cut off in 2004 (insider news) the we will have 2 GB a month and this sucks. In really Big City´s like Hamburg there is a cable 2MB connection for 20 €. Ahhhhrggggg.

To cap your internet account they have to keep records of the downloads you make who will keep these records and who will access them, its BIG BROTHER if this keeps up the internet will tern into one big money basket for corporations, I will have no part of a internet like that :frowning:

Well their excuse here is that bandwidth costs more. Still that were 100% true they would not count any local downloads as part of the cap. I don’t know what I will do when Optus boots me off of netstats. Hopefully they just forget about me and leave me alone.

if i recall, we had a cable company here in the philippines that charged by the megabyte. if i recall, no one subscribed to them. they charged 1700 pesos (around $50) for 650mb/month. plus an additional 5 pesos per megabyte downloaded past that. they used to advertise so much, now they don’t. i don’t think their cable internet division exists anymore. the 2 other companies are thriving right now, if a little spotty on services though.

In Sweden we have flatrate 10Mbit for about 20USD a month. That’s a good deal as they let you setup servers and such. If they take that away I guess it’s back to modem for me… NOT!!! // swede_242

Wow - “Alter Schwede” :stuck_out_tongue:

One last thing…if you dl more than 3 GB they wont charge you, but just cap the speed at… 56k?noooo… 36K?noooo… they cap you at 28.8K!!! Can it be more ridicoulus than that??? Dont believe me? Check here http://cable.optusnet.com.au/terms.html at the bottom “speed limited”… well, you judge!!

:frowning: atleast most of you people can get ADSL/cable, I cant and I live in Australia, in a suburb in Brissy. The only way I can get is move :(:frowning:

I feel sorry for you guys I am from Melbourne but now live in the UK and have cable over here with Blueyonder which has no upload or download limit. I don’t look forward to the day I move back home :frowning:

Here is my thing: I don’t get a thing, the usage of broadband internet is rising fast, and it was designed voor streaming media and games. But when they cap your download speed and data limit… no streaming media -> the future of internet is gone? Or an i crazy Here in The Netherlands i have ADSL Advanced which has a downstream of 1mbit and 256kbit upstream. The weirdest is that soon, probably in Jan/03 they will make the downstream faster with 50%. This is for all MXstream/ADSL subscriptions. WHAT the FUCK i don’t get this story anymore??? u???

oh and i forgot that it has a Fair Use Policy for data limit, in otherwords that is around 30gb~40gb/month

Not being an avid online gamer, what would this do to people who arent into leeching (are there any? :slight_smile: ) But have game servers setup, what happens to the industry when Sims Online fans are in an uproar (can you believe that made the cover of newsweek). UT2k3, or any MMORPG, im pretty sure that the game companies would NOT want this to happen. Then you have the movie industry slowly trying to introduce online movies, and the music industry (one day) introducing massive downloads… This is just the ISPs covering their collective asses, but in the long run the major industries shooting themselves in the foot. But, I bet they will still blame the decline in games, cds and whatever else on piracy… I guess all the isps want us to get business accounts so they can charge us more for our unlimited downloads. Speaking of business sense, prices are set by people, there is nothing that says massive network activity HAS to cost what it does.

What’s the point of paying extra for broadband, if you can’t download more information. The whole point of broad band is to get more information down the line faster. If they stop that, then broadband becomes totally pointless. Why have a fast connection if you can only download the same amount of info anyway. Everyone would go back to dial up. Anybody that paid for broadband access, and didn’t get the content they paid for would just be stupid.

Plus pirates will still find a way around this. The only ones this would hurt are people that would use the services legally. They would have less power, while the criminals resume life as always. So they’re using piracy as an excuse because that has nothing to do with the situation. This will not stop file sharing, and it will not stop piracy. Hopefully people won’t be dumb enough to actually pay for this kind of service.

That’s another good point too. If they cap your downloads then it’s the ISP’s responsibilty to stop all forms of advertisments, and SPAM, and pop-up ads from coming down your line because that will eat into your download limit. We don’t even wanna see the ads to begin with, and now they’re gonna eat into our download limit and cost us more money, plus be annoying. Fuck that.

Adverts removed by Ad Muncher: 482,876 Approximate bandwidth saved: 3,772 Mb I guess that would be around 1 month’s worth of downloads.

Okay, as far as bandwith costing money. Yes, it’s true. Keep in mind that ISPs have to pay for staff, maintenance, electricity, HVAC, the network backbone, and well you get the meaning. Running an ISP is not a cheap enterprise. The bandwidth limiting idea would be bad. My advice, check your terms of service. If they tell you UNLIMITED; that means just that UNLIMITED. There was an ISP who tried to meter the time. I brought up that little point, I asked them to fix it or I would sue them for false advertisement which I would have won. Remind the ISP that UNLIMITED means that… there are supposed to be NO limits. You can’t advertise something as UNLIMITED if there are limits in place. A lot of ISPs don’t know the difference between UNLIMITED and UNRESTRICTED. They don’t have the same meaning.

Okay, as far as bandwith costing money. Yes, it’s true. Keep in mind that ISPs have to pay for staff, maintenance, electricity, HVAC, the network backbone, and well you get the meaning. Running an ISP is not a cheap enterprise. The bandwidth limiting idea would be bad. My advice, check your terms of service. If they tell you UNLIMITED; that means just that UNLIMITED. There was an ISP who tried to meter the time. I brought up that little point, I asked them to fix it or I would sue them for false advertisement which I would have won. Remind the ISP that UNLIMITED means that… there are supposed to be NO limits. You can’t advertise something as UNLIMITED if there are limits in place. A lot of ISPs don’t know the difference between UNLIMITED and UNRESTRICTED. They don’t have the same meaning.

We all know its not cheap to run an ISP, but none of the aforementioned extras that were mentioned have anything to do with bandwidth price and the reasons for the cap, except maybe electricity during peak load. Also, every “terms of service” i look at, always has the one catch of “we have the right to change or revise these ‘terms of service’…” which usually means it doesnt matter what it said when you signed up, its what it says now. e.g. ameritech DSL once was 1.5Mb for the home user, then they switched to PPPOE which naturally cuts about 25% of your speed…now what do they offer imagine that 25% less, 768Kb. Not trying to pick a fight, i just dont want an ISP claiming they need caps because they are overdue on their HVAC bill :wink: Besides, if they implement caps and it actually saved them money, does anyone here think that would get passed to the consumer…didnt think so.

You lucky lucky Bastards! You don’t know nothing! BT…UK don’t ever plan to give us broadband as I read it will take up to 22 years to cover all areas. So its 56 K for me. Ps I hope this message can be uploaded before the end of the decade. (Only joking BT)