IsoBuster, IsoCommander, UltraIso - pick one

Hi, I would like to hear from someone who has tried all three.
I just installed a fresh OS and don’t want to gunk up my registry too soon.
In case it helps, I already have DVDshrink, Nero, AutoGK, vobsub and Alcohol. My main criteria is ease of use and broad functionality. TIA.

franzc, welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

I have UltraISO and the freeware version of IsoBuster, but have never used Iso Commander.

I think UltraISO is a brilliant program and I use it all the time for manipulating ISO and NRG image files. IsoBuster is also great for some things, but haven’t yet found the need to use an of the non-freeware functions so I haven’t purchased a full license yet.

These programs have some overlapping features, and some features that are unique to each program, so it doesn’t make much sense proclaiming a “winner” unless you have a certain list of features that are important to you.

By combining UltraISO with the free ImgBurn program, you actually get a quite nice burning suite - although it does take longer to create an image and then burn the image compared to burning the files directly.

By using UltraISO I can make some images with advanced functionality that is impossible with other normal burning suites such as Nero. One example is he ability to create an image with multiple copies of the same file (in different folders) that only use space once for each file (not for each copy). This comes in handy when I merge several backups of my documents taking at different times, because most of the files haven’t changed between backups.

IsoBuster has some recovery features for CD/DVD media that don’t exist in UltraISO, and it also has a more detailed view of sessions and tracks on the disc.

If you want to know more I suggest you take a look of the feature sets of the three programs, and then ask more specific quetions about the features that interest you.

I suggest another one MagicISO. I think it is the best iso maker. you can read their tutorials for more details.
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/tutorials.htm

Thanks for your input folks. I should have explained that I mainly want the ability to
extract a DVD into .iso format on the HD or convert the VIDEO_TS folder and files on the HD into a .iso file. I don’t think I can do it with the programs I already have.

This site is a mod in the copy protection on this board and they have a program called folder2iso so this may be what you need.

http://www.portmac.com/

magicISO is quite good!!

i like winimage for working with iso files

WinImage has many cool features!

* Create a disk image from a removable drive (like USB drive), CD-ROM, floppy,
* Extract file(s) from a disk image,
* Create empty disk images,
* Inject files and directories into an existing disk image,
* Change a disk image format,
* Defragment a disk image,
* A powerful "Batch assistant" mode that lets you automate many operations,
* And many more! 

full info on winimage.com

I just installed a fresh OS and don’t want to gunk up my registry too soon.

there are many install watchers / uninstallers. i still like the little freeware
tool once released by ziff davis, pcmag. i uploaded InCtrl for you here:

h**p://download.yousendit.com/3017F31B70157F51

filesize is only 765 KB, install directory less than one MB. InCtrl watches
software installers and gives a detailed report, that you might save as text or
html. disadvantage: sometimes the list of registry changes are huge, but at
least you see what has been changed in your system.
another fine thing for software tests at home is a second install of your OS
just for this purpose or use a virtual machine.

Try sandbox apps such as:

1. SVS
  2. Sandboxie