Iso

vbimport

I’m new and probably thick-headed, but I don’t fully understand ISO and other image files. They are “archive” files that can be used to copy video and burn it to another disc. Why not just copy the video files/folders to the HD? They appear to be about the same size.

This all came up as I attempted to rip and copy some non-copyrighted (non-encrypted, is what they’re called??) dvds. The first one is a story all on its own (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f48/pal-ntsc-251200/). The second was a straight up disc-to-disc copy job that went smoothly.

The third had its own problem. It wouldn’t copy disc-to-disc. "“command sequence error” and “could not perform StartTrack”.
I tried a few methods with ReCode or some other application within Nero 6 OEM to copy the dvd to the HD. All failed to provide an acceptable copy when I burned them to discs. Essentially, I couldn’t get a copy with a navigable menu and chapters.

Next on the list to try was a disc image (.nrg). That worked!! I have made several copies of this 2-disc set.

Why? And what the heck are image files.

Thanks

Not really an expert on image files LtTony, but maybe this entry at Wikipedia will give you a start on learning about them:

I think of image files as a "snapshot"of the disk you are trying to copy…it is the exact and complete structure of the disk, not just the information contained in the files.

Plenty of people around here with a better understanding of image files though, so lets hope they chip in and give you a more thorough explanation.

Thanks, kerry. I’ll take a look at your link. I looked up “ISO file” in wiki before I posted. I just wonder why image files are used rather than the file format of the thing you’re trying to copy. There’s no compression or anything involved.
And secondly, why did the image file take and not the video file?
Looking forward to some answers.

Imagine getting a new file cabinet, in another room. You could carry the file folders one at a time from room to room, or you could put them all in a box and carry them all at once. An image is that ‘box’.

Now that is something I can relate to. Thanks.