.iso -vs- .avi

I’m fairly new to backing up my media. my question is, what’s the difference between .iso and .avi and which requires the least amount of space?

ISO is a container format and avi a video format …

i hate to sound stupid, but what does that mean? Am I in the wrong place to get answeres?

ISO is an image of a whole disc (CD or DVD). It contains all the information, sometimes very complicated, of the entire disc structure. The contents may be video of any type, or even programs, but it is not usually compressed.

AVI is also a container format - but only for an individual file rather than a whole disc. These days it’s more associated with compressed video made with XviD or DivX encoding.

As to which is the smallest… that depends on the material within these containers.

Avi is a container format for multimedia data (audio video interleave).
Iso is an image format that can contain any type of data, except audio CD’s and VCD disks.
There is no space advantage in using either one.

I have had a lot of experience with this in the past backing up my own DVD collection, I can say that I believe the easiest way to backup that type of media is with DVD Fab and download FLV media player. You don’t have to virtually mount any image to play your entire DVD collection from your HDD, you just double click!!! It’s awesome, and very easy/free to do.

And no… you are definitely not in the wrong place for answers, this is an awesome forum and I have learned so much from it! :slight_smile:

PS: I am still have trouble backing up my Audio-Book/CD collection using the same methods as I did backing up my DVD collection, I tried creating ISO images with the “Burn CD to Image” option in IMGburn, which worked, but it came with 2 or 3 sub-files for each Audio-Book that I ripped, plus some guys around the forum said that you cant create ISO’s of CD’s, only DVD’s and Data, so I’m not sure… but at least I can help with DVDs!

Off topic,
dual layer dvd wrote,

you cant create ISO’s of CD’s

Well yes, you can’t make an [B]Audio[/B] CD image from the files using ImgBurn.
But you can create a CUE file, by using Write mode>Tools> 'Create CD CUE file '…

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2230166]Off topic,
dual layer dvd wrote,

[B]Well yes, you can’t make an [B]Audio[/B] CD image from the files using ImgBurn.[/B]
But you can create a CUE file, by using Write mode>Tools> 'Create CD CUE file '…[/QUOTE]
??? Well you make in image (ISO and MDS) from an audio CD and from mp3 files (ISO and CUE) if you like with ImgBurn.

If you you select “Create image file from disk” for an audio CD Imgburn will create bin/cue files.

That’s exactly what I have done before, but I don’t know how to get that to play from my HDD after I create the ISO using IMGburn… any tips? Those accompanying sub file (like .bin and .img) are placed in the folder I ripped to, and I really just want to listen to the CD as if I had it in my computer’s optical drive… like the DVD Iso’s I created - I just double click.

What is the difference between above, and the special settings that create a CUE in IMGburn? Would a cue work better at playing from HDD and keeping tracks in order? THANKS! :slight_smile:

Mount the ISO, then you can access the files.

[B]@dual layer dvd:[/B] you’re hijacking someone else’s thread, so please make a new thread if you want more info about CD images and what to do with them.

here’s my dilemma. I have over 700 dvd’s that i’ve backed up. I had to purchase 4 separate 1 TB HDD’s to store these ISO images since each ISO image takes up at least 4 gigs. I’m trying to see what I can do to reduce the size of these files while maintaining the quality. I use DVD shrink along with, AnyDVD running in the background and have no problems ripping any type of dvd, new or old. I also have CloneDVD2 to assist with difficult DVD’s. Please inform me of any options that my be available to me whether it’s avi or mkd or any other type of file that me be benificial. Thanks in advance.

There are several apps that will create DVD > avi, or MP4/H.264, at smaller file size…Just know that when converting, there will be some quality loss…The tools/methods/bitrate, etc, will determine how best to achieve the quality(as close as possible to original) you’ll get… But you won’t “maintain” the [B]same[/B] quality…I would recommend that you try out a few apps/encoders at different bitrates, and see what best works for you…
AutoGk, FairUseWizard, Xvid4PSP,Avidemux, just to name a few…

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/dvd-to-avi-divx-xvid

i just downloaded Divx to convert iso files to h.264 just ot test it out. it recognizes the video files but not the audio. am I missing something?

Try FairUse Wizard , there is a free one…