ISO, UDF, Joliet standards?

vbimport

Perhaps a fellow plextor owner can help me here:

"I’ve searched all over the net (including this forum) for this but cannot find satisfactory information. Documentation for programs like Nero, Easy CD Creator or Plextor Professional have just a brief description of the standards.

I am confused about the different standards, and understands that there is 2 different standards (with multiple versions) ISO and UDF.

1. UDF used to be packet writing but is now used to burn regular DVD-+R’s? There is also like 4-5 different versions… which one is supported on DVD players that play DIVX files (i.e. Phillips DVP642)?

2. ISO/UDF bridge applies both format’s to the disc, but how does the filenames resolve to in system that only read ISO or UDF? I believe the max for ISO level 2 is 31 character in filename… UDF I believe has longer filenames

3. How does Joliet fit into this whole picture? Now, Joliet supports up to 64 characters (in some cases more) in filenames. It seems like I can select both ISO/UDF and Joliet at the same time. How would the filenames resolve now in different systems supporting the different standards?

Anyone, can help out. That would me much appreciated. "

-lee siu lung
PX-716A, PlexWriter 24/10/40A
Easy CD Creator, Nero, Plextor Professional

My current rule of thumb:

CDs - Always use ISO

DVDs:
Use ISO+Rockridge/Joliet for data and general use
Use UDF if I’m burning files larger than 1GB to a DVD (With ISO, can only burn files with a max size of 2GB), or DVD-Video.

Joliet is basically Long File Names for ISO9660 disc format - Best supported under Windows. Rockridge is functionally the same thing, but works better on Macs, *nix, Amigas, basically every other OS :slight_smile:

ISO has much better support so I tend to use it for compatibility.
UDF is ‘better’, but is less well supported and frankly it only has a few additions over ISO that I actually use (Like supporting Large Files ;))

ISO/UDF has caused me problems, so currently I steer clear of it…

Cyker thanx for the reply.

What kind of problems have you had with ISO/UDF?

Do you know what the files will look like in a ISO system only with long filenames in Joliet format?