ISO to DVD problems with sound

I’m having some difficulties burning ISO files onto a DVD, I’ve tried Roxio, Nero 7 and ConvertX, all with the same result, I’ve also searched the forums for an answer!

I get the files burned to disc no problem, but once I get past the menu screen (which has sound) the actual documentry doesn’t have any sound?!

There was a simular problem answered here about 4 weeks ago, and I have tried some of the steps, to no avail - when I play the file on my PC using VLC media player it plays fine and says the codec I’m using is “Audio stream 2 a52” and “Audio stream 12 ipcm” if this helps?

any help muchly appreciated
Anne

It seems you have both ac3 and LPCM audio streams on this ISO. This is dvd-video, yes?

It might help to get more definitive information about the ISO file codecs and configuration. Please follow these instructions:

Download a free program called VirtualClone Drive. Found here: http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html
Once installed, it gives you a virtual drive where you can mount the ISO file. To mount the ISO file, you can right click on the ISO or the virtual drive in My Computer.

Mounting an ISO allows various programs to access the information within it. You can play it on media players, or in this case, we can examine the files. Once we are done, you can unmount the ISO.

Now, download MediaInfo, which is a free video/audio analysis tool. Found here: http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download/Windows
If you have a regular 32bit Windows operating system, get the v0.7.22 at the top of that list. Install it.

Now, mount the ISO in VirtualClone Drive. The name of the video should show up in My Computer on the drive icon. Right click on it, and you should get an option to open with MediaInfo (if it doesn’t just start MediaInfo and click Open, then navigate to the mounted ISO file). Within MediaInfo click on View, then Tree. Copy and paste the information it shows into this thread here at cdfreaks.

I know that sounds complicated, but what I want to know is the configuration of that dvd. [B] Edit[/B]: I did suspect that you were trying to play a PAL video on an NTSC video player, but re-reading your post, I’m not so sure of that now. Will wait to see the specifications.

By the way, if you do not want to keep either MediaInfo or VirtualClone Drive on your computer afterwards, they are both easy to uninstall through the Control Center in Windows.

Is this the info you are looking for, it’s all I get when I view tree

General
Complete name : C:\Users\Anne\Desktop\Disc5\Disc5\New.ISO
File size : 4.28 GiB

Ok, I’ve opened a file within a dvd on my computer. I looked inside the Video_TS folder and opened the VTS_01_1 file with MediaInfo and used the Tree view. This is the information I want about your dvd.

General
Complete name : I:\DVD Folders\Bourne Identity\VTS_01_1.VOB
Format : MPEG-PS
File size : 1024 MiB
Duration : 25mn 52s
Overal bit rate : 5531 Kbps

Video
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@Main
Format settings, Matrix : Standard
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 4699 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 9800 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Standard : NTSC
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.946

Audio
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

Menu
Format : DVD-Video

You’ll notice it shows resolution, bitrate, type of audio, audio sampling rate, etc. Try opening the same file within your dvd and post the result.

You could also try opening the ISO in DVDshrink…Fire it up and hit—Ctrl+I keys–browse to ISO and import…Worth a shot…

General
Complete name : C:\Users\Anne\Desktop\Disc4\Disc4\New\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO
Format : DVD Video
Format profile : Program
File size : 116 KiB

Video
ID : 0xE0
Bit rate mode : Variable
Display aspect ratio : 4:3

Audio #1
ID : 0x88
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Language : English

Audio #2
ID : 0x81

Audio #3
Format : PCM
Channel(s) : 2 channels

Text #1
ID : 0x20
Format : RLE
Format/Info : Run-length encoding
Resolution : 2 bits
Language : German

Text #2

Text #3
Language : Spanish

Text #4
Language : French

Text #5
Language : Italian

Text #6
Language : Portuguese

Text #7
Language : Portuguese

Text #8

Menu #1
List (Audio) : 0 / 1
List (Subtitles 4/3) : 0 / 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7
List (Subtitles Wide) : 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0
List (Subtitles Letterbox) : 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0
List (Subtitles Pan&Scan) : 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0

Menu #2
List (Audio) : 0 / 1
List (Subtitles 4/3) : 0 / 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7
List (Subtitles Wide) : 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0
List (Subtitles Letterbox) : 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0
List (Subtitles Pan&Scan) : 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0

Menu #3

@Demure
Looks like your DVD player can’t decode DTS.
Hit the Audio button on your DVD player’s remote control to switch sound-tracks.

I agree with Terramex. The first audio channel is DTS and your player may not be able to use it. Everything else looks normal.

Hi there Kerry & Terramex

What a complete dimebar I am, I hadn’t properly extracted the files, it wasn’t tillyou asked for the Video_TS file that I realised what I’d done - it’s all sorted now, sorry for wasting your time, and a BIG thanx for all your help

Anne

Aggh!!! Take it back - the ISO’s I’m trying to get onto a disk is a 4 part documentry, the 4th one works fine - but the other 3 still have no sound, I’ve wasted soooooo many Disks !!

here is the info from one that ISNT working - sorry to be a pain in the perverbial!!

General
Complete name : C:\Users\Anne\Desktop\Disc3\Disc3\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
Format : MPEG-PS
File size : 1 024 MiB
Duration : 34mn 43s
Overall bit rate : 4 123 Kbps

Video
ID : 224 (0xE0)
Format profile : Main@Main
Format settings, Matrix : Default
Duration : 34mn 43s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 2 757 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 5 750 Kbps
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.266
Stream size : 685 MiB (67%)

Audio #1
ID : 129 (0x81)
Duration : 34mn 42s
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Stream size : 111 MiB (11%)

Audio #2
ID : 136 (0x88)
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Duration : 34mn 42s
Bit rate : 755 Kbps
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Resolution : 16 bits
Stream size : 187 MiB (18%)

Text #1
ID : 32 (0x20)

Text #2
ID : 33 (0x21)

Text #3
ID : 34 (0x22)

Text #4
ID : 35 (0x23)

Text #5
ID : 36 (0x24)

Text #6
ID : 37 (0x25)

Text #7
ID : 38 (0x26)

Menu

I can’t see anything particularly wrong in the specifications of your dvd. You say this plays well in VLC on the computer?

Just for an experiment, try opening one of the ISO’s that isn’t working properly in DVDShrink. I don’t want you to try to do anything with DVDShrink, except open the ISO and let it do a preliminary analysis. This should take only a minute or two. DVDShrink is a stickler for correct dvd structure, and if there is a problem, it will give an error message. If you click on DVDShrink in the first line of this paragraph it will take you to the download for the program here at cdfreaks. To open the ISO, start Shrink, then click Ctrl I to navigate to the place on the hard drive where you have the ISO file.

Edit: Apparently the link to Shrink no longer works here at CDF, so I linked to the download at videohelp.com

Hello again,

yup VLC plays it fine, and DVD Shrink opens it up with no problems either

Update

The minute I burn it onto a disk (regardless of which program I use to burn it (Nero, Roxia, convertX) there is no sound - I’ve tried the disks on different DVD players, I’ve just tried to play it back (from the disk)on my PC using windows media = no sound, VLC plays it with sound (from disk) WinDVD = error message “DTS decoding is not supported please select another audio track” - is this the problem, and if so how do I select another audio track?

Would you mind just getting rid of the DTS sound stream? You could do that with DVDShrink. Open the ISO file as before, now look on the right side of the window in Shrink. You should see a list of audio streams with boxes next to them. Uncheck the one next to the DTS audio stream.

Just above the Audio section is the Video section. In the drop down box, change the mode from Automatic to No Compression.

Now hit Backup at the top of the main Window in Shrink. This gives you a popup window where you can select the type of output. You can have DVDShrink output as another ISO file if you like in that dropdown list. Hit OK to start the backup process.

If you would rather keep the DTS audio stream, you’ll need to either fix the first play option in the audio (which can be done with PGCEdit), or you’ll have to figure out how to change the audio selection with your players.