ISO Creation - What AM I Doing Wrong?

vbimport

ISO Creation - What AM I Doing Wrong?:confused:

In attempts to backup installation files for a program I lost the original disc for, I can’t get the final results the original disc would give. I have ALL the files from the original disc (Setup, etc.) that I had previously backed up to an external and before losing the original. I burned a data disc using BurnAware and that went well. Then I burned an ISO which also went well. The original would Autorun when I put it in the drive. The ISO will not. I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong but I’m going in circles and nothing corrects it.

Could someone explain, step by step, how they would make this thing work like the original did? Let’s say we are talking about Photoshop or any other program that is not a boot disc.

Unfortunately, we cannot help with backups where you have lost the original disc, as you also lose the license to use the software in this scenario. If you have registered your copy with the software maker, you should talk to them regarding a replacement disc.

Though it is rare to see this situation, it is mentioned in our guidelines for dealing with copyright protected material. http://club.myce.com/f34/guidelines-copyright-protected-material-316049/#.UMFhl3eE-QI

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2667734]Unfortunately, we cannot help with backups where you have lost the original disc, as you also lose the license to use the software in this scenario. If you have registered your copy with the software maker, you should talk to them regarding a replacement disc.

Though it is rare to see this situation, it is mentioned in our guidelines for dealing with copyright protected material. http://club.myce.com/f34/guidelines-copyright-protected-material-316049/#.UMFhl3eE-QI[/QUOTE]

I understand. The disc came to me through a settlement. I can just buy another. Having said that, It was really the idea of how to create such a disc., the technique involved, NOT to defraud anyone. I just like learning and I hate not being able to fix a problem. Thanks anyway.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2667734]where you have lost the original disc, as you also lose the license to use the software in this scenario. [/QUOTE]

I’m not in this situation but I would like to know if this is the actual copyright law. Why would the rights be determined by original disc possession instead of the receipt . The paid for receipt should be the actual contract because it is what proves the exchange of compensation .
Granted the original disc may contain a EULA but so do downloaded & paid for software that have no disc at all.
I suppose the EULA might have language that requires the original disc & if that is the case for a specific software then I understand that.
Of course proof of payment should require that a software company provides a replacement disc at a reasonable cost.

I believe in a court that a receipt would be considered best evidence of ownership . The reason is a person could possess an original disc that they didn’t legitimately purchase . Such possession would be considered minimal proof .

The loss of the original disc and the loss of the license to use it is in reference to discussions on this forum. When we developed the guidelines for discussion of copyright protected material on these forums, we had to set out what situations we would allow. This is what we came up with to deal with unusual circumstances, such as theft or lost originals. When you purchase software, music, movies, etc., you are buying a license to use that material. For purposes of discussion in these forums, we have tied your license [B]to[/B] that original material, whether that original is in the form of a download or a physical disc. Fair use of that material, such as shifting formats or backups, can be discussed as long as you have possession of that original copy.

Copyright law is somewhat fluid when looking at the various laws around the world. A good deal of what we allow in the forums is based on Dutch Home Copy provisions, but we are not quite as lenient as those.

In this situation (a lost original disc), if you have a receipt, or if you have registered your software with the publisher of the software, then you should be speaking with them for a replacement. However, I don’t believe a publisher is responsible for your mistake in losing an original, and I can’t see that they would be responsible for replacing software for free. They might not even choose to offer you a discount, and still be perfectly within their rights, legally speaking. It wouldn’t be very good public relations behavior, but they might not care.

Downloaded material that is purchased, and then lost might be another story…as offering you another download opportunity would cost the company nothing. If you can prove the purchase or registration of the software, a company might be more willing to let you re-download the program.

Not to stir up trouble, but…

The one exception to the “original disc rule” is (or should be) with Operating systems.

This is because MICROSOFT’s stated policy is that the installation disc is NOT what you’ve purchased, but rather the “Activation” or the CoA “product code”.

We can’t cover [B]all[/B] the possible situations in the guidelines. Which is why we state that the mods and admins will make the decisions regarding copyright related discussions. We review threads that have these types of questions and determine if they are suitable for the forum.

And yes, I’ve noted in the past that Microsoft doesn’t really care where you obtain your copy of their operating system, just so long as you have a valid license for it. Microsoft even lets you download ISO’s of their operating systems through Digital River.

My NORMAL method of backing up anything is typically to back up EVERYTHING

making an ISO of an installed program is kinda like preserving a receipe by freezing a sample of the dish in liquid nitrogen… it doesn’t work out quite the way you intend.

What does work is making an image of your entire Windows installation.

this can be made easier if you don’t do something “silly” in setting up your computer and putting BOTH your “system” and “Data” in the same large partition on a large drive.

Another way that works is if you have your OS and programs set up on a relatively small HDD or SSD then you can make a direct “clone” of your entire OS installation
on another drive.

each of these techniques can be discussed at length for anyone wanting to expand their knowledge of “how to?”