ISO-9660 with character sets defined by non-Joliet escape sequences?

vbimport

After seeing the thread on ISO-9660 conformance testing, I began thinking about the ISO-2022-based escape conventions used to to define character set in ISO-9660 Supplementary Volume Descriptors.

Joliet uses three of these – the three implementation levels of UCS-2 defined in ISO 10646. But there are several other character sets registered – including plain 8-bit ISO 646, and there is even a possibility to specify UTF-8, which would be rather nice as long as it is supported.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of support for such non-Joliet character sets exists out there? ISO-9660 requires the originating system to allow the data preparer to specify what escape sequences should be used, but this doesn’t seem to be supported by any of the usual pre-mastering software I have examined.

Alternatively, has anyone observed non-Joliet escape sequences ‘in the wild’?

The problem with this is the OS would read Joliet FS, supporting usually only 1 standard of Unicode character set. So even if you build in support for say UTF-8, Windows would probably still interpret the characters as UCS-2 (or UTF-16 according to mkisofs), displaying garbage symbols that it doesn’t support.

Linux mkisofs describes the situation fairly well under “CHARACTER SETS”:
http://man.cx/mkisofs(8)

I think there is a patch for mkisofs tool to support UTF-8, but the characters would probably only display correct on a Linux machine using UTF-8.

Perhaps consider moving to UDF instead?

[QUOTE=Truman;2522219]The problem with this is the OS would read Joliet FS, supporting usually only 1 standard of Unicode character set. So even if you build in support for say UTF-8, Windows would probably still interpret the characters as UCS-2 (or UTF-16 according to mkisofs), displaying garbage symbols that it doesn’t support.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I would expect Windows to find the UTF-8 escape sequence in the supplementary volume descriptor, refuse to mount data in an unknown character code, and switch over to mounting the primary volume descriptor instead.

But that’s by the way – I don’t particularly care for how systems fail at handling registered character set support in ISO-9660, or avoid doing it – I was trying to ask for systems that succeed at doing it over and above the level of Joliet.

Linux mkisofs describes the situation fairly well under “CHARACTER SETS”:
http://man.cx/mkisofs(8)

Looks like it’s RRIP support only, and thus unspecified by ISO-9660.

Perhaps consider moving to UDF instead?

I seem to have formulated myself badly. My focus right now is on conformance testing of ISO-9660 CDs, and switching to another file system thus not an option.