Is your old data still on your CMC disc?

vbimport

I only buy discs with azo dye.
my TY cd’s burned 12 years ago are still readable.
my Verb MCC dvd’s from 5 years ago are still readable.

But I’m curious how everyone else has fared on discs without fancy dye… like CMC.

is your data still there ? or has it disappeared ? :disagree:

I’ve only had one disk completely fail in the last ten years, and it was a cd-rw that was given to me. But I always bought the best available disks…Maxell made in Japan, Verbatim 4x from Singapore, TY, etc. The few mediocre disks I’ve had, mostly freebies or disks given to me, are still holding up well, so it may have just been luck on those few.

Got a set of about 11 or so CMC discs (Imation branded, CMC MAG E01) from about 2004-2005.

I can still pull the data off them fine. :slight_smile:

I’ve since transferred the data onto Verbies, but I’m keeping the CMC’s out of curiousity, to see at which point they go belly up. :wink:

I have quite a few old CMC CD-Rs that still read fine, and several CMC DVDs that still read fine, I personally don’t have a problem with them, they seem ok for what I do with them! :slight_smile:

The oldest CMC Magnetics media I have - 10+ years old CD-Rs (including the infamous cyanine ones) and 6 years old DVD±Rs are still in perfect shape.

The discs are probably perfect in that you can read them back… I doubt the scans would tell exactly the same tale… all disc dyes degrade over time affecting the pie/pif error rates. Just a question of when, not if all optical disc media fails. Goes without saying, if the data is THAT important to you, backups are prudent insurance.

True enough. Scans alone never tell the whole story though. Obviously a disc can scan beautifully and still play/read back terribly, and vice versa. TRT on a known picky drive can come in very handy here.

Regarding the scans, the CMC discs in my possession never scanned that great even when freshly burned.

…Just a question of when, not if all optical disc media fails. Goes without saying, if the data is THAT important to you, backups are prudent insurance.

Agreed on both counts. :iagree:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2576045]True enough. Scans alone never tell the whole story though. Obviously a disc can scan beautifully and still play/read back terribly, and vice versa. TRT on a known picky drive can come in very handy here.

Regarding the scans, the CMC discs in my possession never scanned that great even when freshly burned.

Agreed on both counts. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

I have a few 3-4 years old CMC discs around, they still work fine! They don’t scan back perfectly, but I am going to re copy them soon!

[QUOTE=RCM;2576182]I have a few 3-4 years old CMC discs around, they still work fine! They don’t scan back perfectly, but I am going to re copy them soon![/QUOTE]

Exactly, perfect scans are something I very rarely see from a CMC disc. But apart from a few M01 discs, reading them back’s not usually a problem. :slight_smile:

You should do what I’m doing, and keep hold of some of the oldest CMC discs once you’re transferred the contents. See how long they last. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2576233]Exactly, perfect scans are something I very rarely see from a CMC disc. But apart from a few M01 discs, reading them back’s not usually a problem. :slight_smile:

You should do what I’m doing, and keep hold of some of the oldest CMC discs once you’re transferred the contents. See how long they last. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I am doing! I have an E01 disc I burned back in 2008 that I am scanning now! :bigsmile: We shall see!
I attached the scan! I will try a TRT soon.

[QUOTE=RCM;2576323]Exactly what I am doing! I have an E01 disc I burned back in 2008 that I am scanning now! :bigsmile: We shall see!
I attached the scan! I will try a TRT soon.[/QUOTE]

Ooooh pretty :bigsmile: - does it read/play back OK? :eek:

I’d definitely be interested in seeing that TRT!

Surprisingly, it plays back fine! The disc is clean, no scratches, and it looks like that! :bigsmile:
Here’s the TRT!

Well…some Optiarc AD-517x/717x drives can produce ridiculous DVD scans (not burns but scans), so I wouldn’t trust this scan too much.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2576361]Well…some Optiarc AD-517x/717x drives can produce ridiculous DVD scans (not burns but scans), so I wouldn’t trust this scan too much.[/QUOTE]

I shall rescan it in my Liteon then! We can compare that way! :stuck_out_tongue:

I added the scan, still looks almost the same!

[QUOTE=RCM;2576352]Surprisingly, it plays back fine! The disc is clean, no scratches, and it looks like that! :bigsmile:
Here’s the TRT![/QUOTE]

Aha, what Drage said might explain the scan thing, as I was quite shocked to see that it plays back OK! :eek:

Mind you…I always forget which Optiarcs are OK for DVD scanning, and which aren’t :doh:

TRT isn’t terrible, so if you have time it’d be good to see a Litey scan :smiley:

EDIT: :eek: @ the Litey scan! Worth trying a 4x one? Just trying to keep you out of mischief. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2576364]Aha, what Drage said might explain the scan thing, as I was quite shocked to see that it plays back OK! :eek:

Mind you…I always forget which Optiarcs are OK for DVD scanning, and which aren’t :doh:

TRT isn’t terrible, so if you have time it’d be good to see a Litey scan :smiley:

EDIT: :eek: @ the Litey scan! Worth trying a 4x one?[/QUOTE]

Trying a 4X one now, will edit this with an attachment when done! :bigsmile:

EDIT: Here’s the scan! it looks pretty! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=RCM;2576365]Trying a 4X one now, will edit this with an attachment when done! :bigsmile:

EDIT: Here’s the scan! it looks pretty! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Ouch, it does indeed - I like pink :bigsmile:

And were you able to read the data back to your HDD off this disc? With the Optiarc of course, although I’d be interested to hear if your Litey had any issues too :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2576442]Ouch, it does indeed - I like pink :bigsmile:

And were you able to read the data back to your HDD off this disc? With the Optiarc of course, although I’d be interested to hear if your Litey had any issues too ;)[/QUOTE]

My optiarc died last night! The rubber that holds the disc on the spindle disintegrated! I ordered an iHAP122-04 last night! Should be here in a few days! :bigsmile: I’m using my old SHW-160P6S, it’s working, but it’s having issues, it’s only reading DVDs

Seeing as how I ran out of time to edit my other post, here we go! It copied back perfectly to my HD from my DH20A4P my SHW-160P6S stopped at 94%!
Here’s part of the logfile :bigsmile: I 11:55:23 Source Media Volume Identifier: RINGER_PS
I 11:55:23 Source Media Volume Set Identifier: 03DB31ECDVDSHRNK
I 11:55:23 Source Media Implementation Identifier: DVD Shrink
I 11:55:23 Source Media File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)
I 11:55:23 Read Speed (Data/Audio): MAX / 8x
I 11:55:23 Destination File: C:\RINGER_PS.ISO
I 11:55:23 Destination Free Space: 448,112,570,368 Bytes (437,609,932 KB) (427,353 MB) (417 GB)
I 11:55:23 Destination File System: NTFS
I 11:55:23 File Splitting: Auto
I 11:55:24 Reading Session 1 of 1… (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 2227551)
I 11:55:24 Reading Track 1 of 1… (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 2227551)
I 12:01:55 Exporting Graph Data…
I 12:01:55 Graph Data File: C:\Documents and Settings\Rudy\Application Data\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\ATAPI_DVD_A_DH20A4P_9P59_MONDAY-FEBRUARY-21-2011_11-55_AM_CMC_MAG-E01-00.ibg
I 12:01:55 Export Successfully Completed!
I 12:01:55 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:06:31
I 12:01:55 Average Read Rate: 11,394 KB/s (8.2x) - Maximum Read Rate: 21,364 KB/s (15.4x)

[QUOTE=RCM;2576495]My optiarc died last night! The rubber that holds the disc on the spindle disintegrated! [/QUOTE]

Ha, you must have really worked that baby. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=RCM;2576509]Seeing as how I ran out of time to edit my other post, here we go! It copied back perfectly to my HD from my DH20A4P my SHW-160P6S stopped at 94%! [/QUOTE]

Funny you should mention that. I had a 165P6S and it was a waaaaaay pickier reader than my 20A1H. The 20A1H tended to “overlook” a lot more disc errors.

So of the two (soon to be 3) LiteOn drives you have, I would be using the 160P6S for DVD scanning. :wink: