Is writing cd's in a row harmful?

vbimport

hey, i probably sound really ignorant, but as u can see im just starting out…
Someone told me that writing a lot of cd’s in a row can damage my CD-R… is it true? becuase if that’s the case i found the reason my CD-R is broken… and if not… well… never mind… :slight_smile:

The drive can get hot (heat is not good) if you burn alot of CD’s in a row. But you must burn an awful alot of CD’s then, or your case is very poorly ventilated.

How many did you do?
Once I did 15 something in a row and nothing strange happened.

i think i did something like 10 in a row…
and what happened after that u can see in another thread i posted in the forum named “writer writes blank cd’s”
dya think that’s the reason?

I’ve done about 300 in a row. Set nero too burn 300 copies and just keep swapping the cds :slight_smile: and no it didnt break my cdrw.

so may be my CD-R is lame…
how is the LG gce-8520b?
if not this, what’s the cause?!
:frowning:

Heat is relative. A well-cooled drive can write many discs, a poorly cooled one cannot… Most boxes are very poorly cooled, and drive temps can get excessive. The new high speed drives generate a lot more heat than even a 40x drive does, so that’s also a factor. My 52 drive can spin all day at 32x and never break a sweat, but at 52x it starts to ge a little hot.

so what dya recommend?
better ventilation for my case?
will it prevent my new CD-R from malfunctioning?

so what dya recommend?

It’s up to you. how much time are you willing to spend on it? I get a cheapo remote thermometer at Target and put the probe near the top of my case behind the CD drives to monitor the case temp. Some motherboards also have temp diodes on the board that can be monitored. (check your BIOS).
If your case temp is more than 10’F above room temp, you might want to boost the ventilation. Exhaust fans lower the case temp the best, but too much negative pressure will draw dust into the CD drives and can also shorten their life. If your discs are coming out of the drive feeling hot, that’s another good indicator of excess heat in the drive. Heat = wear.
Another heat issue is that drives tend to show more read errors when running hot. A cool drive is a happy drive.
If your CD drives are located right over the HD, that’s another source of heat. An intake fan in the front of the box will cool the HD’s, but will not lower the case temp much (if any).
If you have a spare 5 1/2" slot in front, simply popping the cover off can cool the CD drives considerably.
Will any of this improve your drive’s performance or lifespan? Can’t say for sure either way.

You can actually buy fans that slot into spare 5.25" bays.

and should take care my overheating problem…
any ideas about the dust problem rdgrimes mentioned?

Exhaust fans lower the case temp the best, but too much negative pressure will draw dust into the CD drives and can also shorten their life

ideas about the dust problem

It’s a matter of case pressure, or negative pressure. I had a case with a big 120mm fan in the back that used to suck air and dust into every possible nook and cranny. When I took a CDRW drive out, it had little dust drifts inside around the tray door and around the holes in the case around the drives. You should have negative pressure in the case to get the best ventilation, but the above is an example of going too far. A low-flow 80mm fan in the front blowing on the HD’s, and a higher flow 80mm in the back blowing out is typical. If you want some really good and quiet fans, the Panaflo Low for the front and Panaflo Medium or high for the back. Many cases have additional vent holes to equalize pressure, so the dust problem would be minimized.
I have 10 fans blowing in this case, but there’s an O/C Athlon in there that has to heat my room. :eek:

Yes todays PC’s are really useful, surf the internet, write essays, play games, and use them as radiators to heat your room (or house if you’ve got alot of em :))

Yes todays PC’s are really useful,

And, as has been discussed elsewhere, some of us can’t sleep without one humming in the next room.

and i thought i was the only one adicted to that beautiful sound…
:slight_smile:
heat up my room… that was a good one…:bigsmile:

Originally posted by Menim
and i thought i was the only one adicted to that beautiful sound…
:slight_smile:
heat up my room… that was a good one…:bigsmile:

[offtopic]
There’s nothing strange about that… my 6 PC’s keep my roomtemperature always above 20c, even in the winter…
[/offtopic]

6 PC’s?! WOW!
damn… :slight_smile:
well, it sure beats the air conditioner i have… and costs less…
:bigsmile: