Is Vista's DRM annoying you?

vbimport

I just posted the article Is Vista’s DRM annoying you?.

An interesting article published at Forbes shows, with some detailed references reported, how Vista’s DRM features are really annoying (and completely useless) for the end-users.What I found…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12990-Is-Vistas-DRM-annoying-you.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12990-Is-Vistas-DRM-annoying-you.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Just to support your article, I want to point out that I can’t even freaking play freecell on Vista. It claim I don’t have a f*cking 3D hardware acceleration so “performance may degrade”…Since when DO I NEED NVIDIA OR ATI graphic cards just to play SOLITAIRE AND FREECELL…Sorry for all the CAPS but I AM REALLY PISSED OFF…Glad I daul-boot xp and vista…I actually have a cheap XGI Volari 128 MB AGP graphic card…Not the best but I worked for me…I guess I’ll have to wait until XGI release a Vista driver for my Graphic Cards… As for DRM, LimeWire, Utorrent doesn’t work for me neither…What a waste of time installing Vista…The only thing Vista had going is the new interface which is something we can get with XP and windowBlind already… I can’t even activate AERO since my card is not supported…I am furious…this is exactly why peeps don’t upgrade to Vista until it’s atleast one years old… :o

> this is exactly why peeps don’t upgrade to Vista until it’s atleast one years old… < No, this is why peeps don’t update to Vista at all. :S

i’v been using vista since day one almost 2 years ago as far as DRM goes ya i could stand to lose it no prob but its easy enough to work around it. for 4633 Limewire and Utorrent work just fine for me in vista just make sure you install the latest version of java 6 www.java.com will detect that your running vista and install the proper version. OH and umm ya that is as long as you have a legit copy of vista. if not and it’s some sort of frankenbuild or an older beta well then what do you expect.

I can understand why Vista requires resources for the GUI, they offer a really slick interface that requires a strong video card and plenty of memory (and probably they had a nice deal with the hardware manufacturers by forcing people to upgrade their hardware…). What I don’t understand and refuse to accept is the constant monitoring from Vista. They check out if I play unlicensed content, they send daily reports to MS with the list of software I use and so on. Personally, I don’t see any reason to upgrade but I know that in a year or so when I’ll replace my laptop, I’ll get a new one with Vista pre-installed. Hopefully by then we will have enough utilities that will help us overcome the boundries that MS gives us…in our own systems.

yronnen daily reports are these and can you produce a text dump? and a log of where they are sent? in truth vista sends nothing of the sort to MS and as far as drm’d cd’s or dvd’s youll notice that if/when you pop one into a drive it does NOT autoplay by default at (least not on my full retail version thats not been reworked by an oem) and thus the drm sodtware on these cd/dvd’s will not run by default and will not install so you can then do whatever you want with them. at least thats been my ecperience.

yronnen daily reports are these and can you produce a text dump? and a log of where they are sent? in truth vista sends nothing of the sort to MS and as far as drm’d cd’s or dvd’s youll notice that if/when you pop one into a drive it does NOT autoplay by default at (least not on my full retail version thats not been reworked by an oem) and thus the drm sodtware on these cd/dvd’s will not run by default and will not install so you can then do whatever you want with them. at least thats been my ecperience.

MacOS X 10.4.6 seems like a better alternative. I’m gonna jump to that as soon as i’m ready to leave XP.

everytime i see posts about the BS that vista offers, it just solidifies my stance to never EVER use that piece of shit :X

4633, I’m not doubting you, but I’ve had NO problems running utorrent, Limewire, Shareaza, or any P2P programs on Vista Ultimate. (running utorrent now as I type) I have disabled UAC completely, maybe that made a difference although it shouldn’t effect things as such. It does suck video card companies have dropped the ball and are taking so long to come out with drivers that work well. I feel your pain on that issue.

Hhehehe, all you morons who couldnt wait to upgrade to Vista, look at you now. Hehehehe, Im still on XP and loving it. XP rules!!!

What I find funny is all of the XP users who listen to people that run into issues with Vista cause they don’t know what they are doing. I have been running Vista for awhile now and haven’t run into a single torrent software that doesn’t run flawless. Now that more drivers are out things are even better. Now I will agree that needed a decent computer etc is a drag but then again you are not being forced to Vista. New computers are all plenty fast enough to run Vista with no issues. If you know what you are doing and don’t run a ton of pirated software you won’t have many issues at all with Vista.

LOL - and I should say the same about XP … because Windows 2000 Pro rules … until microsoft decided to stop supporting it. However, I continue to run it, much faster, less bloated than XP, better with hardware, relatively crashproof, not a ram-hog and no genuine check bullcrap.

Although I dislike Vista for a number of reasons, I think this DRM “issue” haas been blown out of proportion. Microsoft had no real choice but to implement tighter content control into the OS due to pressure from the record and motion picture thugs er … companies. Expect Apple to go the same way. As for Linux, well that’s a different story. I’m all for open source and use Ubuntu Edgy regularly yet the outlook for content control in this environment is still unclear.

well, i think i well NEVER get Vista, my main interest is GFX design and playing simultainiously… so that means i don’t really need all that slick new interface, neither that continuous monitoring or DRM crap, that’s why i’m sticking to XP until i finish downloadin the new Susie Linux 10.3 or get a new MAC for sure :X

So that might be my problem…Java 6…I mean the first thing I notice after getting Vista into my system is the lack of video support…Once I found that out, I kinda lost interest in it…I did turn off UAC as well…Maybe I’ll give it another try… Hopefully, this will persuade me to use Vista more (I have dual-boot) thus understanding the OS more and not making RANT like newbies on a new OS. I just hate having to upgrade the graphic card since I’m satisfied with my already… Anyway…Thanks for the tip…Arther96 & Sup191…Guess I’ll give it another go…But I’m still mad I can’t play FreeCell… :wink:

Its the 1st time I’ve not upgraded instantly right back to days of windows 3.1! Ultimately we will mostly all end up using it, especially when new software wont work on older versions. Hopefully by then the real facts on Vista will be known unlike all the hype and scare mongering that seems to be rife. End of the day, its supposed to be an OS, not an application.

Hhehehe, all you morons who couldnt wait to upgrade to Vista, look at you now. Hehehehe, Im still on XP and loving it. XP rules!!!

Well…what do ya know…Utorrent DOES work (on mine computer)…!..I was trying to get it to work with my buddy’s laptop and it wouldn’t work…I guess I’ll have to test his system again…Moving on to LimeWire…Crossing my finger… BradleyA, Those who chartered into unknown territories are not morons but pioneers instead. Eventually, we will be the one who have settled down nicely on Vista while ur ass goes nuts when MS discontinued support (as in upgrades) for XP…

LimeWire Works!!!..alright…sorry for trashing Vista…But I still can’t play solitaire…I have to get a new graphic card sometime then…