Is Verbatim the best? These scans say NO!

vbimport

Scans do not say everything.
There are a reasons, why I put verbatim above most other brands.
Let me list them (again.)

1 Good quality (on all levels. Scanable and non scanable)
(ALso those Verbatim scan could be claimed better some of the others actually. So don’t go by scans alone.)

2 Good Availability (You don’t have to spend a afternoon for finding them) (I think all fail here, because they are old media.)

3 Good Customer Support (Sony and Philips come close of what you posted, but still are not the same level as Verbatim.)

4 Known reliable stability (Which removes the RITEKG04 disc from that list.)

5 Good Compatability

6 Good Priceing.

7 You know what you get. From the above Philips, Maxell, TDK have a reputation to switch MID’s and Manufacturers meaning it will be a suprise if it performs and works on your equipement.

Your scans are nice . Specially the RitekG04 ones, because most of them, that I personally encountered seem to be problematic over longer time.

But please keep in mind that verbatims solid reputation as safest available media was earned.

I said safest, because like you I do have some media which performs better as verbatim, but it’s poor available and/or expensive.

[QUOTE=al17;2120763]Trt[/QUOTE]

WHERE are the Verbatim scans??

You have none, so please don’t spread false/wrong rumours.

update

Oh, now there is one. But what should be wrong with it?!?

If you’re blind, man, it’s not my fault. Scans and trt were there 3 days before your reply.

Take it easy.

This topic is closed for me. To answer your reply (the last, I hope), there’s nothing wrong with Verbatim, but there’s nothing wrong with many other brands.

I suggest you to read a topic before to reply.

That’s exactly my new opinion. Verbatim and TY are excellent, but other brands could be too.

@al17
I suggest you to read the forum before to post.

A lot of forum members love/like RICOHJPN, CMC E01, CMC AE01, and other media.
There are many threads about media they consider excellent/ good/consistent/reliable and that is not made by Verbatim.

If you cannot understand what others write, it’s not their fault.

@camellote

I read the forum (today, yesterday and months ago) that’s the why of my topic. I think that many people (here and elsewhere) undervalue not-Verbatim brands.

Will you critic my thought too?

By the way, I’m persuaded that you’re paid by Verbatim :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

Let’s conduct this discussion with mutual respect and without questioning each other’s motives. Thanks. :cop:

Nobody here is paid by Verbatim AFAIK (I wish!!) :)…and what I see is not critiquing as such, more like offering valid reasons for recommending Verbatim (and in some cases, TY) media.

As mentioned by a few people, including myself, many of use also use, and like, other brands/manufacturers of media. :slight_smile:

WHERE are the Verbatim scans??

Is this a suggestion?

WHERE isn’t where, it’s shout.

You have none, so please don’t spread false/wrong rumours.

Two lies. Pictures were there and I spread no false rumor. If you’re not the number 1#, does it mean you suck? I hardly say that Roger Federer sucks. :slight_smile:

I believe it’s my right to answer this guy and his “lawyer”.

[quote=al17;2122873]Two lies. Pictures were there and I spread no false rumor. If you’re not the number 1#, does it mean you suck? I hardly say that Roger Federer sucks. :slight_smile:

I believe it’s my right to answer this guy and his “lawyer”.[/quote] What part of my warning did you not understand?

Let’s put this thread back on track with no personal attacks.

[QUOTE=al17;2122843]@camellote

I read the forum (today, yesterday and months ago) that’s the why of my topic. I think that many people (here and elsewhere) undervalue not-Verbatim brands.

Will you critic my thought too?

By the way, I’m persuaded that you’re paid by Verbatim :slight_smile: :P[/QUOTE]

I do not undervalue non Verbatim branded media if it’s.

Maxell Protek/BQ DVD-R/DVD+R
EMTEC (MPO made ) GOLD 4x DVD+R
HP (CMC MAGNETICS) 8x DVD+R.
EMTEC (FTI) 16x DVD+R

But let’s take a look at those and the list I posted earlier.

Well all of them are not that easy to get.

The MPO GOLD media is expensive as well. (Okay it has a dataretrieval waranty, and a replacement waranty as well.)

Compatability. Seeing the burns of my Philips with the Maxell Protek -R. It’s not at the level of verbatim, Shame. FTI’s own +R code is also less good supported as MCC004.

With the Emtec’s you hardly know what you get these days.

Customer support of only the GOLD seems to better or as good as verbatim.

Also I like Japanese Mitsubisi media. (Okay that was cheating, because it’s the same stuff as found under Verbatim :bigsmile: )

Last thing I do have to say that while I highly recommend verbatim for DVD media. That recommendation doesn’t count for CD-R media. (Okay exception is the european Pastel media, which is made by TY. ) For CD-R media I prefer Fuji (Germany)and Taiyo Yuden over Verbatim cd-r’s. I would rate verbatims cd-r’s as average and nothing special.

Only talking about DVD media in this post…[QUOTE=al17;2122843]I read the forum (today, yesterday and months ago) that’s the why of my topic. I think that many people (here and elsewhere) undervalue not-Verbatim brands.[/QUOTE]In my opinion, if there is anyone here that currently does under-value anything not by Verbatim, it’s because they’ve just had too much trouble with anything else. Nearly no one, and I mean NO ONE, on this forum that advocates AGAINST other brands does so without having had issues with other models of discs at one time or another.

There are people that have equipment that will play nice with anything that isn’t Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden in origin, and can actually feel safe in recommending a user just give other disc models a try. As a matter of fact, people are beginning to notice media such as RITEKF1, RITEK R05, and RITEK F16 --all of which are made by Ritek. They kinda went unnoticed for a while but is now gaining recognition as possibly being a good set of alternatives to Verbatim or TY models. People also recognize Ricoh, Sony, Moser Baer, Daxon, CMC, and FTI as disc makers/designers that can also produce very good discs for day-to-day use [though not every disc model from the respective companies has had the greatest success]. Then there are other disc makers that cater to a specific purpose…we don’t run into them often.

There are specific pros and cons to each media, though…including, but not limited to:[ul][li]drive writing compatibility[]longevity[]playback compatibility[]ease of reading[]ease of writing[]ability to overspeed [limited to a specific group][]consistency between batches[]quality of disc scans[]availability[*]cost/performance ratio[/ul] The majority of Verbatim/Mitsubishi Chemicals and Taiyo Yuden’s disc models have historically shown themselves as having a number of pros that far outweighs the number of cons. They have warranted the high recommendations that we give users to try them.
[/li]
In these days of 16x media, we can recognize Verbatim as having the best [B]overall[/B] 16x media, based on the criteria above. The same goes for Taiyo Yuden’s 8x media in the 8x days. It was well recognized that other disc models have their places in some people’s lives, and we reflect this in our recommendations. But in the grand scheme of things, we run into more times where a GENERAL recommendation for a GENERAL purpose is required, versus a specific recommendations for a specific purpose. That is why it may appear that we are so heavily weighted towards Verbatim. And, again, this is only for DVD media. CD media is a whole different world…and, currently, Taiyo Yuden would be the premium disc maker recommended for troubleshooting. But others can still appreciate CD media that’s not Taiyo Yuden. :wink:

Fixed it. Hmm guess I’m allready sleeping.

[QUOTE=Albert;2122897]
There are people that have equipment that will play nice with anything that isn’t Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden in origin, and can actually feel safe in recommending a user just give other disc models a try. As a matter of fact, people are beginning to notice media such as [B][U]RITEKF1[/U][/B], RITEK R05, and [B][U]RITEK F16[/U][/B] --all of which are made by Ritek. They kinda went unnoticed for a while but is now gaining recognition as possibly being a good set of alternatives to Verbatim or TY models. People also recognize Ricoh, [B][U]Sony[/U][/B], [B][U]Moser Baer[/U][/B], Daxon, CMC, and FTI as disc makers/designers that can also produce very good discs for day-to-day use [though not every disc model from the respective companies has had the greatest success].

[/QUOTE]

[B]Albert[/B] you are right, the Ritek F1 is very good, scan nice and play fine, the same goes for the sony and Moser Baer:iagree:.

I have a few F16 to test, and so far look ok.

Uhm… I think I have a 3/4 years old emtec too.

I’ll give it a scan tomorrow, if I find it. :slight_smile:

p.s.

DrageMester has just warned me about some sentences I wrote.

I want that camellote knows that…

By the way, I’m persuaded that you’re paid by Verbatim :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

… was a joke to ease the tension. I hoped two smiles were enough, but I was wrong.

If you’re not the number 1#, does it mean you suck? I hardly say that Roger Federer sucks. :slight_smile:

The meaning of this sentence was impersonal. I didn’t mean you, chef, suck.

Even if I hope few people could think that the first quote wasn’t a joke and the second one was an insult to someone in particular, in DrageMester opinion this wasn’t obvious.

I hope none will delete this reply: this is not a critic of a mod in a topic, this is a clarification of what I wrote.

Be aware that there are fake Taiyo Yuden and Mitsubishi Chemicals (MCC) discs on the market.

It started with some smaller DVD manufacturers using a Taiyo Yuden or MCC MID code on their discs for “compatibility”. But it has been reported that they are now copying Taiyo Yuden’s distinctive case design and even the batch numbers. This is clearly counterfeiting.

It used to be possible to buy good MCC DVDs sold under brands other than Verbatim, but I am now (rightly or wrongly) suspicious of all non-Verbatim MCC004 DVDs. The other major brands have generally switched to sourcing their discs from cheaper manufacturer. The only non-Verbatim MCC004s discs I have seen on sale recently have been budget brands who I don’t trust. With Taiyo Yuden there is the added problem that most Taiyo Yuden discs sold are unbranded, even (or perhaps especially) the genuine ones.

You can find plenty of discussion and advice on how to tell fake from genuine elsewhere on CDFreaks.

[QUOTE=Albert;2122897]… As a matter of fact, people are beginning to notice media such as RITEKF1, RITEK R05, and RITEK F16 --all of which are made by Ritek. They kinda went unnoticed for a while but is now gaining recognition as possibly being a good set of alternatives to Verbatim or TY models. People also recognize Ricoh, Sony, Moser Baer, Daxon, CMC, and FTI as disc makers/designers that can also produce very good discs for day-to-day use [though not every disc model from the respective companies has had the greatest success]. Then there are other disc makers that cater to a specific purpose…we don’t run into them often.[/QUOTE]

I second the RitekF1/16, I use a lot of these for DVD-Videos (Memorex-branded even! :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:) and they seem to perform pretty good! Ricoh+Sony are for the “collection”, while CMC DVDs are being consumed by the spindle :wink: I actually conserve my Verbs for important stuff that needs to last a “long time”, and that is based on users’ experience and the CDF forum, a board that has a collective experience invaluable to the optical media consumer.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2122992]Be aware that there are fake Taiyo Yuden and Mitsubishi Chemicals (MCC) discs on the market.

It used to be possible to buy good MCC DVDs sold under brands other than Verbatim, but I am now (rightly or wrongly) suspicious of all non-Verbatim MCC004 DVDs. The other major brands have generally switched to sourcing their discs from cheaper manufacturer. The only non-Verbatim MCC004s discs I have seen on sale recently have been budget brands who I don’t trust. With Taiyo Yuden there is the added problem that most Taiyo Yuden discs sold are unbranded, even (or perhaps especially) the genuine ones…[/QUOTE]

Don’t forget MCC’s own - Mitsubishi - as another of the “trustable” brands. Certainly genuine MCC/MKM (as in Mitsubishiiiii). :smiley:

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2122891]For CD-R media I prefer Fuji (Germany)[/QUOTE]

Who makes those Fuji CDs? Is it a Fuji ATIP?.

I thought that there were no longer any manufacturers making quality discs in Europe, and that discs with Fuji’s own ATIP disappeared a while back. I haven’t even seen any Fuji branded Taiyo Yuden CDs for a while and assumed that they were now only sourcing Phthalocyanine discs from the Far East (Ritek, Prodisc, SKC, maybe others?).

I still use more CDs than DVDs and I am always interested in trying new discs that might be of decent quality.

[QUOTE=al17;2122843]I think that many people (here and elsewhere) undervalue not-Verbatim brands.[/QUOTE]

:disagree:

You still don’t get it. :rolleyes:

Let me give you a list of media that I would prefer to Verbatim:

Sony-branded and Taiyo Yuden-made TYG03 (discontinued)

Samsung, Kodak, or Imation-branded and Optodisc-made OPTODISC R16 (discontinued)

HP, Imation, or TDK-branded and CMC-made CMC MAG E01 (discontinued)

Office Depot-branded and Ritek-made RICOHJPN R03 (hard to find)

Maxell-branded and Maxell-made MAXELL 002 (discontinued)

Sony-branded and Taiyo Yuden-made YUDEN000 T02 (discontinued)

Maxell-branded and Maxell-made MXL RG04 (not available in my country)

Maxell-branded and Maxell-made MAXELL 003 (not available in my country)

Sony-branded and Sony-made [MIJ] SONY16D1 (discontinued)

Maxell-branded and Maxell-made Plus or Pro MXL RG03 (too expensive and discontinued)

Notice a pattern? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Albert;2122897]As a matter of fact, people are beginning to notice media such as RITEKF1, RITEK R05, and RITEK F16 --all of which are made by Ritek. They kinda went unnoticed for a while but is now gaining recognition as possibly being a good set of alternatives to Verbatim or TY models.[/QUOTE]

The problem with the new Ritek MIDs is that firmware support isn’t wide enough or that good, so they don’t burn that well on all burners. They have not even remotely reached the point where you can recommend them as alternatives. Also, RITEKF1 can be very inconsistent depending on brand.

Quote:
<table width=“100%” border=“0” cellpadding=“15” cellspacing=“0”> <tbody><tr> <td style=“border: 1px inset ;” class=“alt2”> Originally Posted by [B]al17[/B]
[I]I think that many people (here and elsewhere) undervalue not-Verbatim brands.[/I]
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
:disagree:

You still don’t get it. :rolleyes:

That’s my impression :iagree: An impression is personal, it can’t be right or wrong, it’s only an impression. I got your point, I hope you’ll get mine.

By the way, I found that old emtec and its scan is awful. Average pie: 500 and average pif 25-30. I’ll start a trt soon. Is it too damaged for a copy?