Is Verbatim model 97457 truly HTL?

vbimport

It’s hard to find BDs that are High To Low (HTL) instead of the far more common Low To High (LTH). I wish to use BDs that are inorganic rather than dye based for important files and media archiving.

Is Verbatim model 97457 HTL? This dealer and Amazon claim they are HTL but I don’t see it marked as such on the packaging or on the disks.

Can anyone please confirm that these are HTL and thus feature an inorganic data layer?

Verbatim 25 GB 6x Blu-ray Single Layer Recordable Disc BD-R, 25-Disc Spindle (97457)

Thanks for looking. :slight_smile:

The LACK of “LTH” on the part of the package visible in the stock photo means these are HTL. (The HTL discs don’t have a special marking saying they are HTL).

But it is advisable (for archival purposes) to use Panasonic media. They tend to have a better initial burn, though depending on the drive & the quality of the Verbatim-branded media it might not be a huge difference.

[QUOTE=Albert;2771303]The LACK of “LTH” on the part of the package visible in the stock photo means these are HTL. (The HTL discs don’t have a special marking saying they are HTL).

But it is advisable (for archival purposes) to use Panasonic media. They tend to have a better initial burn, though depending on the drive & the quality of the Verbatim-branded media it might not be a huge difference.[/QUOTE]

Why can we assume that lacking LTH necessarily means HTL? Is there a licensing regulation that mandates this?

In this list at the Blu-ray organization, there are six Verbatim models. Two are 6x 25 GB models. One is HTL, the other is LTH. Both fit the description of the dealer above and Amazon. Unless the code [B]IMe[/B] or [B]IMu[/B] can be confirmed, I can’t know for certain which one of these is the product in question.

Disc Manufacturer ID & Media Type ID Licensee List

All of the Verbatim discs with MAB*L on the label of the cakebox have proved to be HTL. There are no exceptions to this as far as I am aware.

HTL was the original BD-R technology and the only one at the time so there was no distinction to make. LTH came later and it is mandated for the packaging to be labeled accordingly.

What they said ^ :iagree:

I missed/forgot about the MABL distinction. And the first hit for me on Google States that…

MABL = Metal Ablative Recording Layer. A specially created inorganic recording layer present on Verbatim’s BD-R…

…so, while there’s not a specific piece of text that says HTL, there is a distinction beyond what I said.

I apologize for my faulty statement that there is no specific indicator of inorganic/HTL material.

@sengork - That is a useful piece of info, thanks.
@Albert - So there is that indicator, which is good to know.

Guys, an Amazon customer of this product posted this product information. I note the [B]IMe[/B] code that in the list above confirms it’s Verbatim’s HTL model.

[I]Unique Disc Identifier: BD-R-SL:VERBAT-IMe-000
Disc Type : BD-R SL : Cbss 0 - Version 1
Manufacturer Name : Mitsubishi Kagaku Media
Manufacturer ID : VERBAT
Media Type ID : IMe
Product Revision : 000
Stamper Date : March 2010
Layer Info : 1 Layer (LO) : 25.03 GB (23.31 GiB) Per Layer
Blank Disc Capacity : 12,219,392 Sectors = 25.03 GB (23.31 GiB)
Recording Speeds : 1x, 2x, 4,x, 6x[/I]

Can one assume all recent BD internal drives can reliably write to HTL disks? :iagree: or :disagree:?

There will always be variations in writing quality between drives and various examples of media. In other words, not all HTL media is the same quality, and not all firmware in the drives will match up to those discs in the same manner.

So you cannot make broad statements about compatibility that have much meaning.

In theory, yes, modern drives should be able to write to HTL media. Reliability is another subject. I, personally, would never again buy Ritek discs, HTL or not. Nor will I buy Philips BD-R, or any of the house brands, with the possible exception of the Smart-Blu discs that use Falcon/FTI made discs.

Yes. HTL has never been an issue for drives. (Edit: What Kerry said).

@Kerry56 - Where I am, these Verbatim disks are the only HTLs available. I’ve looked at all online suppliers. Local stores have none.

@Albert - Since no drives so far indicate HTL on their front panels or packaging, I’ll look at manufacturer’s documentation to see if they clear their products for HTL. Otherwise, I’ll look for recent models by reputable brands. Mostly LG and Samsung in these parts. :wink:

That seems odd. As far as I am aware, there are only two main types of LTH media that were widely available here in the US. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden were the two brands that had them, but of course, they may be far more common in your area.

Of the 64 single layer MID codes in your earlier link, only 18 were LTH (eight of those are Taiyo Yuden/JVC and Mitsubishi/Verbatim). You’ll also notice that [B]all[/B] of the multiple layer discs and the re-recordable BD-RE discs use HTL. In the worldwide market, HTL is far more common than LTH.

By the way, did anyone notice that Moser Baer made a LTL single layer BD-R? I didn’t know that variation even existed.

Drive manufacturers don’t have to indicate HTL support. It is the defaut. I am telling you from a historical perspective that it is a fact that every. single. BDRE. drive. will “handle” HTL media. Most media IS HTL.

To that end, every single popular disc model is adequately supported in any new drive you can get. No exemptions. Whether or not the particular media a person gets is good, that’s debatable. Whether or not a drive has bugs (see also: Samsung SE-506CB), that’s independent of the fact that the support is still there.

With any BDRE drive from the past 3 years, you have inherent support. It is implied. If you got an old drive, the only one you would have to even remotely worry about is LTH, but even LiteOn made its best attempt to get decent write quality on its iHBS112/212/312 drives before ending production.

Note that we are at the point that drive manufacturers shouldn’t have to specify LTH support; it’s strictly a matter of if a write strategy exists for whatever disc model you want to use. And with single layer or double layer BD media? Things are mature enough that support will be there. For triple layer media, some people have had issues with Sony triple layer media, but the other popular TL media is supported, and newer drives/new firmware helped resolve some of those incompatiblity issues.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2771330]
By the way, did anyone notice that Moser Baer made a LTL single layer BD-R? I didn’t know that variation even existed.[/QUOTE]
I’m pretty sure they weren’t released onto the market.

Actual discs may never have existed, even in Moser Baer’s research & development department. The list only means that they registered a MID code (and presumably paid a licensing fee).

But if they do exist and you ever find any… dial 1-800-PEPST! :iagree:

All useful information that cleared up my lack of experience with BD. I’m looking to upgrade to BD after many years of recordable CD and currently DVD use. Thanks to all you guys for taking the time to help. :slight_smile: