Is using the writer as reader harmful?

vbimport

I remember that, when CD writers were new on the market, the advice was, not to use them as readers. But basicaly only as writers. Because reading with them, could damage them.

Is that still the case? Or are the new writers perfect readers too? As good as dedicated DVD ROM drives?

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I don’t know about using them as readers damaging them, but I have a LiteOn (DVDRW) drive here, that I’ve been using for over a year as a dedicated reader/quality scanner…still burns fine on the occasions I do use it for that.

However, some burners are better readers than others. My recommendation for excellent reader and burner would be one of the Samsung 203x (SATA) drives.

I remember hearing that when I got my first (2x) CD writer as well, BTW. :wink:

[QUOTE=psiegmann;2110016]I remember that, when CD writers were new on the market, the advice was, not to use them as readers. But basicaly only as writers. Because reading with them, could damage them.

Is that still the case? Or are the new writers perfect readers too? As good as dedicated DVD ROM drives?[/QUOTE]

I think basically it is still the same. If you use your burner as reader or writer the laser will degrade. In the early days the burners had more problems with laser degrade than the burners today, and in the beginning of the CD burner aera a CD burner was very very very very expensive and CD ROM only expensive. for this reason it was a good advice using the burner only for burning.

Today a good DVD burner is ~40€ if you buy an exclusive CD burner like a Plextor Premium II you pay ~100€ for that drive. And that is not a real big money. I do not have any CD-ROMs in use anymore and I only have one DVD-ROM still in use and the reason is only I did not have the time grabbing a SATA burner and I have enough burners in case my internet PC needs a burner…

[QUOTE=psiegmann;2110016]I remember that, when CD writers were new on the market, the advice was, not to use them as readers. But basicaly only as writers. Because reading with them, could damage them.

Is that still the case? Or are the new writers perfect readers too? As good as dedicated DVD ROM drives?[/QUOTE]

Who said that?
Well if it was a salesman, then he was probably trying to sell you a dvd-rom.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2110026]
I remember hearing that when I got my first (2x) CD writer as well, BTW. ;)[/QUOTE]

Was that a Philips?

[QUOTE=TM;2110066]I think basically it is still the same. If you use your burner as reader or writer the laser will degrade. [/QUOTE]

That basically is a myth, i have [B]abused[/B] my samsung 182D and my Liteon DH20A3P as readers only and both work fine.

[QUOTE=vroom;2110089]
Was that a Philips?[/QUOTE]

How did you guess that :eek:…it was a CDD3610 :iagree:

And yeah, my LH-20A1H has had a fair bit of read-only abuse as well :eek:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2110217]How did you guess that :eek:…it was a CDD3610 :iagree:

And yeah, my LH-20A1H has had a fair bit of read-only abuse as well :eek:[/QUOTE]

:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:
It was easy, back in those days you had 3 or 4 good choices, Yamaha :bow:, HP, plextor and Philips, so i took my bet on the phillips.

//offtopic//
I still remember my friends, half of them were always complaining about it’s writing, and the other half was happy, but both of them hated me because i had a Yamaha cd-rw 4/4/16 :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:.

Here’s my advice:

If you have any rare DVD burners that can’t be easily replaced, like a BenQ DW1640, or a special drive that burns so well it seems anointed by Jesus Christ, like a Pioneer DVR-115D, only use those for burning, and don’t add to the MTBF by using them as readers. Instead, grab a cheap ghetto drive off eBay or in the clearance bin somewhere, and use that for your reading.

On the other hand, if you have an older drive that is mediocre, like almost anything made by ASUS, BTC, or Optiarc (pre-7200x), or a newer drive that is super cheap and easy to replace, like a Lite-On 20A4P, it doesn’t matter if you use them for both reading and writing. If they break, just buy another or upgrade to something better.

For example, if you were currently using an Optiarc AD-7190, you could feel free to abuse and treat the drive poorly. Go ahead and bang it up, throw it around, and treat it like crap. Use it as a reader, writer, or drug dealer, it wouldn’t matter. If the drive broke, you’d just go right ahead and get a super affordable and shiny new Optiarc AD-7200, which is a superior drive. Now, once you got the AD-7200, you’d have to be gentle with it, and treat it like royalty, only using it for burning and nothing else. Understand?