Is unsecured Wi-Fi to blame for increased cable TV cord cutting?

Is unsecured Wi-Fi to blame for increased cable TV cord cutting?.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/11/kOc28v.png[/newsimage]The ailing economy and wider access to streaming content both lead to additional cord cutting, but a new culprit may be to blame: Internet piracy. There is increasing concern that Wi-Fi Internet access could also have a negative impact on cable or satellite subscription -- but additional research must be carried out in the future.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/is-wi-fi-to-blame-for-increased-cable-tv-cord-cutting-36408/](http://www.myce.com/news/is-wi-fi-to-blame-for-increased-cable-tv-cord-cutting-36408/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I’ve noticed that Belkins new modems took up my suggestion …

All new routers come pre-configured with network name, WPA2-PSK, and a password based partially on their serial number.

Hopefully other companies take note, and do something similar for future products.

Belkin products still suck though.

With half of the population living within earshot of a Starbucks or McDonalds free free wi-fi and TV is so easy.

[QUOTE=debro;2556042All new routers come pre-configured with network name, WPA2-PSK, and a password based partially on their serial number.
.[/QUOTE]

It takes 2 computers, free software and ablut 5 minutes to hack any encryption on current routers and APs. Most ISPs currently have routers preconfigured with security. MAC address filtering is a little harder, but rarely used. It shoudl all be ised just to prevent the neighbourhood kids from using your connection to steal music and get you fined.

[QUOTE=Drum;2556240]It takes 2 computers, free software and ablut 5 minutes to hack any encryption on current routers and APs. Most ISPs currently have routers preconfigured with security. MAC address filtering is a little harder, but rarely used. It shoudl all be ised just to prevent the neighbourhood kids from using your connection to steal music and get you fined.[/QUOTE]
When I was 12, I accidentally kicked our front door in … the wooden frame just ripped off, lock intact … really makes you wonder how secure your home is.

Nothing’s gonna stop someone that really wants to get in.
Wifi security stops casual thieves … SSL keeps your details safe :wink:

I don’t see any mention of people who connect to the internet via the 3G cell phones and Smartphones. Wouldn’t these account for the dropoff as well?

[QUOTE=blegs38552;2556249]I don’t see any mention of people who connect to the internet via the 3G cell phones and Smartphones. Wouldn’t these account for the dropoff as well?[/QUOTE]

With the elimination of unlimited data plans and the slow speeds, I don’t think many people will be moving from high speed DSL or Cable to cell phone internet access. It’s too expensive and slow to be anything but emergency and mobile internet access. I have seen a lot of advertisments saying up to 7Mb, but of all the people I know who use it including my wife who uses it for travel, none has ever seen anything close to this in actual download speeds, connection speeds, yes, but that is not download speeds. Download speeds generally aren’t even close to minimum DSL speeds.

In fact I expect to see a drop off in cellular users as the prices increase as providors try to “provide plans that are more in line with customer needs” (ROFLAMO) and drop unlimited palns to make more money on people who go over their monthly limit the first week uning the GPS feature…

People like me who use pocket PCs and refuse to pay insane prices for mobile data plans are running out of options. There are fewer and fewer non phone pocket PCs being made and most if not all cellular providers require you to have a data plan if you have a smart phone on their network. Doesn;t matter if you only want to use it with WiFi, no data plan no smart phone, even if you buy an unlocked phone cash.

[QUOTE=Drum;2556294]With the elimination of unlimited data plans and the slow speeds, I don’t think many people will be moving from high speed DSL or Cable to cell phone internet access. It’s too expensive and slow to be anything but emergency and mobile internet access. I have seen a lot of advertisments saying up to 7Mb, but of all the people I know who use it including my wife who uses it for travel, none has ever seen anything close to this in actual download speeds, connection speeds, yes, but that is not download speeds. Download speeds generally aren’t even close to minimum DSL speeds.

In fact I expect to see a drop off in cellular users as the prices increase as providors try to “provide plans that are more in line with customer needs” (ROFLAMO) and drop unlimited palns to make more money on people who go over their monthly limit the first week uning the GPS feature…

People like me who use pocket PCs and refuse to pay insane prices for mobile data plans are running out of options. There are fewer and fewer non phone pocket PCs being made and most if not all cellular providers require you to have a data plan if you have a smart phone on their network. Doesn;t matter if you only want to use it with WiFi, no data plan no smart phone, even if you buy an unlocked phone cash.[/QUOTE]You are probably right - my plan is company subsidized so I forget about how high the data access costs are in real life. I do chose to keep my FIOS connection, which, when bundled with their TV and Phone service is not that expensive - especially for the speeds that I get for uploading and downloading. Hopefully someday, there will be some form of Universal Broadband access at a price that anyone can afford, maybe a Wi-Max of some sort, but until then…

[QUOTE=Drum;2556240]

It takes 2 computers, free software and ablut 5 minutes to hack any encryption on current routers and APs. Most ISPs currently have routers preconfigured with security. MAC address filtering is a little harder, but rarely used. It shoudl all be ised just to prevent the neighbourhood kids from using your connection to steal music and get you fined.[/QUOTE]

I’ve heard conflicting reports about how easy it is to hack WPA so here is any interesting youtube link:

In the end, it ‘seems’ to comes down to searching a dictionary for your key. If your key is not in the dictionary, you are probably safe.