Is Toshiba the future?

Dear Guys.
I have been using clonecd, since the day it was firstly released, i have been reading about it, about blindwrite, copy protections, …etc. since that time. i.e i know good information about these issues.

i have used or bought almost all burners, plextors, liteons, …etc. but i think now we all are facing problems.

i think it is hard for anyone of us to say, that he has a burner that can do anything, i think we all lack something, one can write safedisc, one can’t and so on.

but i since 2 weeks or so, i have been reading about the Toshiba combo drives, the SDR 1202 and The SDR 5002.

they are 3 sheep burner, i.e can write all weak patterns, and thus they almost ended the safedisk 2 theory that is based on weak sectors.

they can write Securom “NEW” 1.21.

and ofcourse we all know that Toshiba is the best reader.

and so i think we all should post our experience here, about those 2 drives, to see if they are really can do almost everything we all want or not.

until now, i think there main problem is the audio protections, but nothing else.

maybe i am wrong with some or all info i posted here, and that is why, i think we all should think about Toshiba.

we have been talking about, Asus, LiteON, Plextor, Teac, and almost all writers except Toshiba although it seems that it will be a true thing in the future.
:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The weak sector thing is not the only possibility to build copy protections:
They will certainly come up with something new what sheep won’t help with…

Toshiba SD-R 1202 does not write all patterns correctly! Toshiba SD-R 5002 is not a plain combo drive, but a DVD writer (the only DVD writer which is also good for CDs).

Well, i totally agree with you dear alex, there will be ofcourse new protections that is far away from weak sectors theory.

but i think, that the drive who can do anything at the present, will have much better future than the one who don’t.

i don’t defend Toshiba, i even don’t have one, but all i want is to reach a drive that can do all what we all need.

btw: are you sure that the SDR 1202 don’t write all patterns correctly, i think i have read in another forum that someone did used the sheep3.bat file, and wrote it successfully with this burner, and even tried it with more 3 ordinary cdroms. i think i will search for this thread and link it here.

If I’m not totally mistaken, then Futureproof has one of these drives, and his drive didn’t. It failed for less patterns than the liteon, but it didn’t write the test file.

Originally posted by alexnoe
[B]The weak sector thing is not the only possibility to build copy protections:
They will certainly come up with something new what sheep won’t help with…

[/B]

I agree. IMHO protections based on “CD low level structures” will fade away, as they can’t be used on any other type of media. With the upcoming DVD boom they will vanish sooner or later.

Wouldnt it be very easy to copy-protect a DVD, just by putting something in a dual layer. No consumer dvd drives can burn dual layer discs that I am aware of.

Originally posted by Gorskar
Wouldnt it be very easy to copy-protect a DVD, just by putting something in a dual layer. No consumer dvd drives can burn dual layer discs that I am aware of.

You’re right, but I believe manufacturers want to avoid the costs of a dual layer DVD, if the content fits on a single layer DVD (very likely for PC-DVD games, for example).

@Olli

whats about a new CCD Version ?