Is this Verbatim CD-R a fake?

vbimport

I am under the impression that Verbatim CD-Rs were either made by Mitusbishi or CMC. Testing one of my Verbatim ValuLife CD-Rs, Nero said the manufacturer was Ritek, ATIP 97m15s17f. Is this ok? Or have I bought a fake Verbatim? From searching for that specific ATIP on the forums, I have found that all comments are very good on this particular CD-R, despite being a Ritek. Most graphs I saw of its test, showed C1 bars below 10 (I really am a newbie on testing). From the posts I noted many times that it was branded as Maxell, but never as Verbatim. I also found this great link which shows all the vendors for the exact ATIP code I’m worried about:

http://www.cdr-info.de/showatip_e.php?ID=138

From the above link I noticed that it was branded under Maxell, Philips, and TDK, but no Verbatim.

On an unrelated note, while looking at the graphs of the tests, I noticed that the errors tend to spike towards the final 10% of the CD capacity. Testing my old Ritek’s I have also noticed that the damaged files overwhelmingly are concentrated at the end of the CD (the last files to be written). Do any of you purposefully burn only up to a certain percentage of the capacity of the CD, to avoid the the final sectors? Anyone think it might be a good idea to do so?

I apologize that this is completely off topic, but check out those COCKmedia discs hahaha, man, that can’t be a good sign eh ? :-p

Sorry :expressionless: couldn’t help myself

Do any of you purposefully burn only up to a certain percentage of the capacity of the CD, to avoid the the final sectors?

No, but i purposefully avoid Ritek to avoid damaged files at the end of the disc :slight_smile:

Buying Verbatim and getting Ritek is like asking for champagne and ending up with dog p*ss

When you say ValuLife do you mean DataLife?

No.

when buying verb cd-r’s be sure to get datalifeplus discs as datalife is just princos.

I’ve heard of Verbatim non-DLP CD-Rs being Prodisc, CMC, Ritek and Moser Baer, but never Princo…

i agree with that , and from my expirence the datalife are pastel (made by taiyo yuden)

edit : actually regarding moser baer there are verbatims like that they arent datalife or dlp they just have no special name just verbatim 52x

Verbatim has stopped producing this ValuLife media. It’s only backstock now.

You should be fine with these CD-Rs but they are not top-notch media as the DatalifePlus from Verbatim. When you see “Valu…” somewhere on a product, generally it doesn’t mean premium :wink: