Is this used PC worth $100?

vbimport

Yesterday, I found a Compaq Presario SR2150NX at a yard sale for $100. They trusted me to take it home to try it out, since I live 4 houses down from them, and I will tell them soon if I want it.

The PC was purchased in February 2007. It is a Celeron D, 3.46 ghz, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB Sata HD, Windows Vista Home OS, with 16X Tsstcorp DVD burner w/lightscribe. It has an empty 5.25 inch bay and a empty 3.5 inch bay for moving over one or more of my extra 300 GB hard drives. It has both SATA and PATA connectors. It has MS Office 2002, and Roxio 9 Basic software loaded.

I fired it up, and Vista is not usable with only 512 MB Ram since it is so slow, so I would have to upgrade that.

I was thinking of going to Bestbuy and getting some RAM to see how much speed improvement I get. I can return the RAM if I don’t keep the PC. Is it worth trying to upgrade with RAM, or am I better off just getting a new PC down the road? I currently have a HP 2.7 Pentium GHz system with XP that’s about 4 years old which works fine. I do quite a bit of DVD burning, Internet, email, but not any gaming or anything else that is high end.

If you think the PC is worth keeping, how much Ram should I try? There are two memory slots, with one 512 4200 DDR2 module installed. Bestbuy has a 2 GB stick of Kingson 6400 DDR2 for $54 this week, or a 1 GB stick of PNY 5300 DDR2 for $27. (I assume it is cheaper online, and if I keep the PC, I may return the RAM and buy it online). If I get the 2 GB module, then I would have 2.5 GB total. Will that be enough for Vista?

As an aside, there is a HP deskjet F340 all-in-one printer that they will sell me for $10 that came with the PC. Alternatively, there is a HP deskjet F2110 all-in-one printer, new in the box, that they will sell me for $20. I currently have a HP D4100 printer that is not all in one.

I appreciate your thoughts about whether it is worth keeping either the PC and/or the printers. Thanks.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12132708-12133156-78308260-78308260-78308260-79482143-79917661.html

$100 seems fair price. (though you may find people just throwing them away) max ram is 2 GB, so buy two 1 Gigs and take out the 512. yes, there are many places online to get ddr2 ram very cheap.

Yes, it sounds like a slight bargain (going by British standards here).

I’d have to say no, its not worth it.
You could buy a $40 MB, $60 CPU 2.6Ghz dual core, $30 2GB stick of ram, Gskill DDR2-800. Since this isn’t a high power consumption computer, you should be able to re-use the power supply and case from your old PC.

Hi,[quote=tederick;2136827]It is a Celeron D, 3.46 ghz, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB Sata HD, Windows Vista Home OS, with 16X Tsstcorp DVD burner w/lightscribe. It has an empty 5.25 inch bay and a empty 3.5 inch bay for moving over one or more of my extra 300 GB hard drives. It has both SATA and PATA connectors. It has MS Office 2002, and Roxio 9 Basic software loaded.[/quote]Is the software original software?

Apart from that, these Celerons are famous for high power consumption and low computing power. Admitted, for 100USD one can think about that…

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2136947]Hi,Is the software original software?
[/QUOTE]

It has the original software, plus MS Office XP 2002.

I picked up 2 gigs of ram at BB. The computer seems fine with 2 GB. (I’ve found 2 GB ram online for $15 w/ free shipping).

I’m thinking about offering $75 for the computer. Does that sound any better?

I go along with the no crowd. When you have to spend money to get it up to the standards you need then there are better options. eric93se gave a good example and you will have much better hardware as a result.

[QUOTE=UTR;2137024]I go along with the no crowd. When you have to spend money to get it up to the standards you need then there are better options. eric93se gave a good example and you will have much better hardware as a result.[/QUOTE]

If I went with Eric’s idea, I’d have to pay a bit for software unfortunately.

i would have to say keep it. if, not … send me the KEY for Office…jk

[QUOTE=tederick;2137048]If I went with Eric’s idea, I’d have to pay a bit for software unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t do any more than put some RAM in it.

[QUOTE=pstatme;2137054]i would have to say keep it. if, not … send me the KEY for Office…jk[/QUOTE]

The addition of Smilies could have indicated this is a joke. My suspicion is that what you’re asking for (if you’re serious) is against forum rules.

jk = “just kidding”

Urban Slang - thanks for clearing that up although it’s probably not the best topic to kid around.

[QUOTE=tederick;2137048]If I went with Eric’s idea, I’d have to pay a bit for software unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

Or learn how to use one of the many Linux distro’s.

[quote=tederick;2136997]It has the original software, plus MS Office XP 2002.[/quote]Okay then. In that case, the price is justified despite of the mediocre hardware.

I’m thinking about offering $75 for the computer. Does that sound any better?
Just try it. Not that bad, IMO. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2137155]Okay then. In that case, the price is justified despite of the mediocre hardware.
Just try it. Not that bad, IMO. :)[/QUOTE]

I agree. I’ve done what the OP wants to do on hardware a lot slower :wink:

The OP doesn’t need anything really high-end for what he wants to do, so I think that’s a very good price ($100)…and $75 is even better! :slight_smile:

50 would be even better It is a yard sale offer half

[QUOTE=samlar;2137294]50 would be even better It is a yard sale offer half[/QUOTE]

She didn’t take the $75. She told me that she had been asking $150 for it, and seemed a little insulted when I offered her $75. She said she had someone else that wanted to see it for $100, so she picked it back up.

While I was packing it back up to give back to her, I noticed a Staples receipt from the original purchase. $429 was the price of the computer, LCD monitor, and printer, which she paid in February, 2007.

After I gave it back to her, I noticed the two positive posts on this thread about the PC. There had been almost all negative ones before that. This morning, I started wondering if I should have kept it for $100. I considered what Eric said about Linux, but I have so much Windows based stuff. For example, does CloneDVD2 run on Linux? How about Citrix, which I use for connecting to my office network?

Anyway, thanks for the posts.

If you really want a deal start looking at Craigs List for your area. Also, Freecycle can have good computers for free.

[QUOTE=tederick;2137417]
After I gave it back to her, I noticed the two positive posts on this thread about the PC. There had been almost all negative ones before that. This morning, I started wondering if I should have kept it for $100. I considered what Eric said about Linux, but I have so much Windows based stuff. For example, does CloneDVD2 run on Linux? How about Citrix, which I use for connecting to my office network?

Anyway, thanks for the posts.[/QUOTE]

Linux can do everything that windows can do and in most cases more efficiently and its usually more secure as well. But it is a different world and requires some learning. Most if not all of the software is free as far as I know.