Is this the fastest 1TB 2.5 inch hard drive available?

vbimport

This one.

I don’t want to go to a smaller size; I’m happy to sacrifice speed for space as long as it works quickly enough for me but I want to get the fastest possible at this size, without hemorrhaging money on an SSD drive. I’m looking for the fastest non-SSD 1TB internal hard drive for my laptop and I’m led to believe that this is the fastest one currently available due to its dual platter.

But you guys know more than me, so what do you think? I bow to your superior knowledge! :bow: :wink:

SORRY! Wrong product.

I meant this one. Although whilst I’m at it, I’ve also come across this one and there’s very little between them, so if someone can confirm if these two (not the horrible Samsung in the first link) are the fastest available and which one would be better, I’d appreciate it! :slight_smile:

If i could afford one i would go for the Seagate momentus xt 750GB, if you simply want to have a drive just for storage, then go for the one that offers a good warranty, because you wont notice a huge amount of difference between any 5400RPM 2.5" hard drive, +/-5 more MB/Sec wont make any difference in real life.

My two cents.

I agree with vroom. I know certain drives may be optimized more for one task than another, but at this capacity for this size, with all specs on paper looking fairly similar, the performance will be about equal. (And that Momentus XT looks like it would be a bigger performance jump over the 1TB drives.)

From what drive are you upgrading, anyway? And since you are expecting to see a huge boost in performance, what general activities do you do with your computer?

Thanks, again 1TB is really what I want… even though these drives are 5400RPM, because they are dual platter drives there’s apparently very little speed difference between them and a 750GB 7200RPM drive.

It’s to replace the 500GB OEM drive in my Dell XPS, it has 6GB of RAM and a 2.8GHz i5 processor and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M graphics card. I mainly watch streaming video and surf the net as well as a bit of gaming on Steam games that are usually the modern ones that make the most of the specs.

Not pushing the XT drive, because you know what you want: Between those 1TB drives and traditional 750 GB 7200 RPM drives, there wouldn’t be a difference. The 8 GB of flash memory used as a cache would be the big differentiating factor, making it actually have a perceptible impact on performance once it learns your usage patterns. It’d be faster than the 1TB drives listed above.

All that said, you know your desired capacity, and you know your budget allows for a choice of those drives. Maybe check to see if there is a difference in warranty; if so, let the warranty be the differentiating factor instead of a ~5 MB/s sequential speed difference (which translates to very little difference when reading lots of little files, as both drives are tuned for consumer applications). If there is no difference in warranty, check sites like Tom’s Hardware for reviews on each and see which drive does better at what you usually do. Those in-depth reviews show differences in drive tuning that actually affect performance in some applications.

Also check to see if there are any helpful-yet-annoying features that either drives has. Example: laptop drives frequently park the read/write heads (lowers power consumption while raising shock tolerance and overall reliability except for head loading/unloading cycles). Occasionally these drives take a perceptible amount of time to wake up once they go into a lower power state.

If annoying features/bugs exist, read up on them now and see if your configuration supports a fix. Maybe check to see if there is a way to change the drive’s internal power saving parameters. These things will not necessarily be covered in full-length reviews on dedicated sites, but you might be able to find clues from user reviews on retailers’ sites. You may also glean this information from the manufactures’ forums, where long-time owners will flock to complain about bugs in the hopes that a firmware update can solve it.

Sorry, edited my post above whilst you posted a reply. PC specs and uses are up there. ^

If you think that for those uses, the XT will make a SIGNIFICANT difference then I’ll go for that. I take it that it’s the fastest 2.5 inch 750GB around bar full SSD?

I’m a bit confused though… this page on Tom’s Hardware states about the less impressive Hitachi Travelstar 5K1000 (than the two that I mentionned) that “it even beats the Seagate Momentus XT”. Help me understand? <3 I love learning about this stuff.

To be completely honest, my first choice, if i could afford it would be to get an SSD as a boot drive (a 128GB or even better a 256GB is ideal for most users) and an external USB for storage.
If you need that much of a storage go for it. I personally dont believe that you will see a huge difference between the current 500GB drive and the 1TB drive that you want to install, but since you need the extra capacity there isnt much more to say.

Also amazon says that the WD drive has a 5 Warranty :eek: let’s hope that they didnt get that wrong.

Thanks for getting back to me. The 500GB drive died so it needs replacing and to justify the cost of another drive, I’ve gone for something bigger to make it more ‘future-proof’. However, having spent the last hour reading up about the Momentus XT and given that it’s only about £20 more expensive for me than the WD and Seagate 1TB drives, I’m quite interested in getting it. I can’t see the 5 year warranty for the WD one on Amazon - are you sure? Where does it say it on the page? If that is the case and if I do get a 1TB drive I’ll go for that one over the Seagate!! I just have to mull over XT or 1TB until I get paid on Saturday…

BTW, thanks for suggesting the idea but an external drive in addition to an SSD is a no-no for me; I want to be able to take all of my data with me wherever I go, plus the XT would automatically sort what goes on the SSD portion. I know that some people put an additional drive in the optical storage bay but I also make use of my disc drive so that’s not an option.

As a delayed reply to an earlier post:

h2benchw is the utility being referred to when stating that it even beats the Momentus XT, correct? This utility tests sequential data throughput --from the fastest region of the disc (outermost tracks) to slowest (innermost). In this case, the 1TB drive may have a higher sequential speed at the outermost edge and on average.

The reason I say that the Momentus would be more beneficial is that the 7200 RPM spindle speed makes writes a little quicker than 5400 RPM, and for OS loading (as well as repetitive game loading), the cache will improve read speeds. Otherwise, in normal raw read speeds, the 1TB 5400 RPM drives would be about equal to the 7200RPM drive. The cache would be about the only thing that would eventually make things feel faster than the dead 500 GB drive, to be quite honest.

But, hey, a 5 year warranty is invaluable, as is a doubling of storage space. :eek:

Thanks Albert - firstly, regarding the h2benchw it all makes sense now.

Secondly, given that I have many games on there (although I tend to play one game until I’ve completed everything before moving onto the next), and that some games can be bigger than 8GB, do you think that the (8GB) cache would make a significant difference in games? Music and video was never a problem on the old HDD, it loaded fast enough but if the speed difference is significant then I would go for the 750GB XT - a speed boost and an extra 250GB over the old one is still a good reason to spend extra getting a replacement HDD.

One thing to consider the slower drive for: heat. Notebooks have the poorest circulation and adding red-hot drives may look great for Capacity Numbers, but as temps climb, every other part suffers.

The wonderfully-fast 10,000rpm WD VelociRaptors were great additions to one of my notebooks, but first I noticed the mirage-like heat-effects above the keyboard, then the underside practically glowed. A week’s use and I took the case apart and found plastic warpage. That was Step 1 on the road to Meltdown - my very own Mount-Afterglow Nuclear Power Plant & Notebook.

It was still working, but returning a cool 5400 was the better idea.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2672896]One thing to consider the slower drive for: heat. Notebooks have the poorest circulation and adding red-hot drives may look great for Capacity Numbers, but as temps climb, every other part suffers.

The wonderfully-fast 10,000rpm WD VelociRaptors were great additions to one of my notebooks, but first I noticed the mirage-like heat-effects above the keyboard, then the underside practically glowed. A week’s use and I took the case apart and found plastic warpage. That was Step 1 on the road to Meltdown - my very own Mount-Afterglow Nuclear Power Plant & Notebook.

It was still working, but returning a cool 5400 was the better idea.[/QUOTE]

There’s a reason they are installed in giant heat spreaders. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah… well given that the XT uses non-moving SSD that would be safer wouldn’t it? But then given that the other 2 are 5200 there’s also that to consider. And I can’t find anything about a 5 year warranty one ither of the drives… Decisions, decisions! Also, I read that the 9mm drives will need a bracket to be fitted properly? Can someone confirm that?

[QUOTE=SG;2672894]
Secondly, given that I have many games on there (although I tend to play one game until I’ve completed everything before moving onto the next), and that some games can be bigger than 8GB, do you think that the (8GB) cache would make a significant difference in games? Music and video was never a problem on the old HDD, it loaded fast enough but if the speed difference is significant then I would go for the 750GB XT - a speed boost and an extra 250GB over the old one is still a good reason to spend extra getting a replacement HDD.[/QUOTE]

It’ll help on the small files, sure. But let’s be honest: once the initial game executable is loaded, either style of drive will likely be okay. I think of games like Fallout 3 and Portal that have full loading screens between sections of the map, and I think they might benefit from the 7200 RPM drive for moderately quicker seeking of infrequently used files. The XT is overall tuned for performance even ignoring the cache, while the 1TB drives are probably tuned for lower power consumption. Oddly, the non-hybrid 750 GB 7200 RPM drives sometimes best the XT, but if you can get an extra boost, go for the hybrid drive.

[QUOTE=SG;2672898]Ah… well given that the XT uses non-moving SSD that would be safer wouldn’t it? But then given that the other 2 are 5200 there’s also that to consider. And I can’t find anything about a 5 year warranty one ither of the drives… Decisions, decisions! Also, I read that the 9mm drives will need a bracket to be fitted properly? Can someone confirm that?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t say the moving parts in the XT move less frequently. Sure, the cache will do some of the lifting, but I would consider the XT to be as fragile as any other hard drive with moving parts.

9mm is the standard height of laptop drives, and shouldn’t be a problem if the last drive was 9mm.

I’ve been using an XT in a dual-boot desktop for about 2 years, and it does make for a snappy machine. Have a look here for how it stacks up to a fast HDD and SSD for program/game loading.
I think you would find it a good choice.

it was hidden in the [B][U]See more technical details[/U][/B] maybe they got it wrong.

Oh FFS! I just typed out a lengthy reply and the f*cking forum told me my token had expired!

OK, thank you for all of the help and info guys. I’ve decided on the WD one based on price, size, lower operating temperature, power consumption and the fact that it’ll still be faster than my old one, coupled with the reliability of WD and their easy-to-deal-with (and longer) warranties.

Despite the 5 year warranty, the one on Amazon is shipped from the States and I don’t fancy waiting 1-3 weeks for it so I’m going to have to look elsewhere online or failing that, I can drive to PC World near me where they have one in stock for

£69.99. But I’ll see if I can find it elsewhere cheaper online first.

Thanks again everyone. <3

Congrats on making the decision. Do keep us updated on how it works out once you get it. :slight_smile: