Is this Q-Scan ok?

Hi,

Just got my new BD-RW Asus 12B1ST.
I burned a BD-DL and notice the scan have pretty high spike during the layer change.
Is this normal ? (no problem reading the disc though)
When i zoom-in, the BIS-Max isnt that high, except that the red spike is worrisome.

Scan attached, first image (top) is original, 2nd image is after i manually adjusted the y-axis.

Rgds

Does the drive successfully complete a Transfer Rate Test on that disc without dropping its speed? Does the disc play fine in a standalone player?

EDIT: Sorry, I need to remember everything I read. No problems playing the disc back? That’s good. [/edit]

The red spike does look a little worrying, all things considered, but I’m not aware of how many people successfully use their LiteOn drive for DL BD-R writing, and I don’t know if that’s to be expected of any drive or just your particular drive. But if the disc works for now, I don’t suppose you should worry.

Does the spike continuously appear in subsequent scans of the disc…

[ul]
[li]maybe after the drive has had a break for a while?
[/li][li]maybe if you set the scanning software to only scan about 500 MB before to 500 MB after the layer break?
[/li][li]maybe if you use a slower or faster scanning speed?
[/li][/ul]

Hi Albert,

I did not watch the movie from beginning to end.
But after i burned the disk, i use ImgBurn to ripped the burned disc into an iso,
and then did a hex compare with the original, which match bit to bit.

Good suggestion for the Transfer Rate Test,
will do that once i’m home.

The scan was at 4x, i did 1 more at 8x, but the red spikes get worst. (more spikes). Thinking to do a 2x scan.

1 question,
Is there any way to find out exactly which sec/min the layer change occurs ?
Then i can manually watch the movie at that time frame.

I have no idea of how to check for the location of the layer break relative to the movie. If you can just figure out a way to see what video file is stored on the disc at the 23 GB mark, you could at least narrow your search down.

Unrelated, does the disc have any physical imperfects towards the edge? The layer change looks like it happened at about ~50% of the capacity of the disc, so maybe something happened. Or maybe the drive just messed up. Either way, worth a check.

Hi Albert,

Below is the Transfer Test for same disc, scan using Asus as well as my older LG.

I also scan another disc (same Panasonic 2x media) using Asus & LG in the next thread. This disc is burned using LG instead of Asus.

The chart is totally different.
Burned by Asus is reading 4x & 2x on 2nd layer.
Whereas burned by LG is 4x for both layer.

Is the 2x speed due to burned quality or booktype (or other settings) ?

Attached chart is burned by LG:

I look back all my DL scan, the layer change seems to always have a dip.
Is this cause for concerns ?

Thanks

Off-topic: If you still use the drive, particularly for burning purposes, you might want to update your GGW-H20L drive to the latest YL07 firmware. It is nearly 2 years newer than YL05 and has much better media support. The link is in the sticky firmware announcement thread above.

[QUOTE=albetan;2676491]Attached chart is burned by LG:

I look back all my DL scan, the layer change seems to always have a dip.
Is this cause for concerns ?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

No, not at all. All DL burns will show that momentary speed drop at the layer change. The TRT of that ASUS burn does indicate a less than ideal burn. What was the burn speed?

In addition to the posts by cvs and deanwitty above…

[QUOTE=albetan;2676490]
The chart is totally different.
Burned by Asus is reading 4x & 2x on 2nd layer.
Whereas burned by LG is 4x for both layer.

Is the 2x speed due to burned quality or booktype (or other settings) ?[/QUOTE]

Using the Asus, can you do a quality scan of the disc burned by the LG, and compare it to the disc burned by the Asus? Maybe the H20L can write the DL media better than the Asus.

(The drop at the second layer is probably because of the quality).

[QUOTE=cvs;2676563]Off-topic: If you still use the drive, particularly for burning purposes, you might want to update your GGW-H20L drive to the latest YL07 firmware. It is nearly 2 years newer than YL05 and has much better media support. The link is in the sticky firmware announcement thread above.[/QUOTE]

Hi Cvs,

Thanks for pointing out,
Will do that as a last resort.
Have not flash any Optical Drive for a long time.

The last time i flashed one, it went dead. :sad:

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2676618]No, not at all. All DL burns will show that momentary speed drop at the layer change. The TRT of that ASUS burn does indicate a less than ideal burn. What was the burn speed?[/QUOTE]

Hi Deanwitty,

Really glad to hear that :clap:

Its Panasonic 2x, burned at 2x.

[QUOTE=Albert;2676628]In addition to the posts by cvs and deanwitty above…

Using the Asus, can you do a quality scan of the disc burned by the LG, and compare it to the disc burned by the Asus? Maybe the H20L can write the DL media better than the Asus.

(The drop at the second layer is probably because of the quality).[/QUOTE]

Hi Albert,

I’m re-scanning all my LG burned DL again,
thank God i only have a few :smiley:
Will update once i scan more.

My initial assessment for DL layer,
Yes, my LG seems to burn better, but its aging and my recent DL scan does show the quality dropping compared to disc burned 2 yrs ago.

The new Asus burn SL better though.

On a side note,

Any possibility to only scan the layer change region (using ODC)?
Like you suggested 500MB before and after.

Any recommendation for good burner (both SL / DL)
I always burn at the lowest speed, so speed is not a concern for me.
If it can do scan, will be a plus.

Thanks

Below are some re-scan, previously burned using LG H20L.
These are Panasonic 4x media.
(The one burned by Asus was Panasonic 2x media)

LG seems to burn DL better than Asus.

[QUOTE=albetan;2676633]
Will do that as a last resort.
Have not flash any Optical Drive for a long time.

The last time I flashed one, it went dead. :sad:[/QUOTE]

You don’t really have anything to fear. Upgrading the firmware on your LG drive is pretty much a safe and straightforward operation. Even in the unlikely case that flashing fails, the drive will still end up in boot mode and it can be flashed again. I have flashed a lot of LG drives many times and never had such problem.