Is this normal? Or does CMC really suck?

vbimport

Imation 24x (Neon coloured - Made in Taiwan)

ATIP: 97m 26s 66f
Disc Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

After a burn, used data transfer rate to check with my TDK Cyclone 48/12/40 burner. This is a LTR-40125S rebbaged OEM w/P-CAV + Mt. Ranier firmware. It was shipped with Z-CLV. But there was an official upgrade, its rated 24x only but smartburn could detect it as 40x.. LOL

Tried the same thing with my plextor 40x Ultraplex (maybe its dying?)

Tried a scandisc on the same cdr as well with my Cyclone :

Notice how the speed drops after 52 mins in both graphs? Can someone tell me if its a bug with liteon drives OR its due to the fact that I'm using lousy quality media? I am beginning to suspect that most media which is copied all the way at 40x will have this symptoms?

Is there any media out there which can do perfect 40x copying? :confused:

That was not a bad result with those Imations. I have Imation (CMC) here and they normally have many damaged sectors and some unreadable sectors when the drive hits 40X.

But some other CMC(PC Line) discs works ok. Those branded as Imation have always been crap for me.

Taiyo yuden 40X certified works good at 40X
Ritek phthalocyanine(Type 7, “J” DYE) is ok.
Prodisc 32X and 40X have worked ok at 40X
TDK (made by TDK) have been ok at 40X.
Moser baer india 32X have sometimes been ok.

i have found thse to be awsome at 40x !!

with some yellow scandisk marks at 48x

AKA data safes premium 32x Certifide

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 15s 17f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = RiTEK,J
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 40X
Die Type = 7

===================================

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]That was not a bad result with those Imations. I have Imation (CMC) here and they normally have many damaged sectors and some unreadable sectors when the drive hits 40X.

But some other CMC(PC Line) discs works ok. Those branded as Imation have always been crap for me.

Taiyo yuden 40X certified works good at 40X
Ritek phthalocyanine(Type 7, “J” DYE) is ok.
Prodisc 32X and 40X have worked ok at 40X
TDK (made by TDK) have been ok at 40X.
Moser baer india 32X have sometimes been ok. [/B]

Is it? And all the while I heard that CMCs are of low quality. Actually, it doesn’t seem too bad on my writer… but I can definitely do with a new cdrom. Any cheap online stores which ship overseas?:bigsmile:

Hey bloodlust your results are quite normal for CMC discs…I have a 40x liteon drive and get exactly the same drop downs as you do. I use a liteon ltd163 dvd drive which is highly regarded as a reader and the results are just like your plex reader. I tried my 32x liteon with the same verbatim datasafe discs and got the same drops (mine are worse than yours)…I then bought some intenso prodisc’s for 0.28p each and tried them…success!!! the reader reads them at 35x-40x with the graph nice and straight and also you wont get those yellow sectors at the end in scandisc!!

im using datasafe (cmc+ritek) and can burn at 48x.no errors on nero scandisk.liteon 32x10x40w clocked to the nuts…vs.02:D maybe a good batch of discs? :confused:

Yep as said I have 24X imations which sucks and 24X PCLine which is ok.

Both is CMC but there is definitively a quality difference…

All CMC disc’s aren’t bad. For instance I have no trouble with PC-Line and by Feurios disc identifier they are rated A-. Same as some of my Kodaks…

The feurio category rating have nothing to do with quality…

What is it for then?
I’ve tested various brands I have, and a mate of mine had some discs that were falling apart (big chunks of silvery-stuff got loose :)) and they were rated C-. My Kodaks and TaidoYuden’s are all A+ and A-. Just some unscientific research, but the results look clear to me… :slight_smile:

Originally posted by davros
Hey bloodlust your results are quite normal for CMC discs…I have a 40x liteon drive and get exactly the same drop downs as you do. I use a liteon ltd163 dvd drive which is highly regarded as a reader and the results are just like your plex reader. I tried my 32x liteon with the same verbatim datasafe discs and got the same drops (mine are worse than yours)…I then bought some intenso prodisc’s for 0.28p each and tried them…success!!! the reader reads them at 35x-40x with the graph nice and straight and also you wont get those yellow sectors at the end in scandisc!!

Intenso? Is it a brand which is written on the media itself? May I know whether you were writing these at 40x as well? And what is the speed rating printed on it?

Originally posted by Airhead
All CMC disc’s aren’t bad. For instance I have no trouble with PC-Line and by Feurios disc identifier they are rated A-. Same as some of my Kodaks…

Hi, care to tell me where to download this program?

Originally posted by Bloodlust
[B]

Hi, care to tell me where to download this program? [/B]

erm well you could try www.feurio.com :bigsmile:

EDIT by OC-Freak.
Don’t mention warez so clearly. Beside that feurio works as a full version when not registered also(you only need to click a button every time you start it).

=============================
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :bigsmile:

:cop: :cop: :cop: :bow:

Thanks… but it seems that at this point of time, my burner isn’t supported yet. :frowning: