Is This Normal Lite-On 166S DVD-ROM Operation?

vbimport

Hi, I just bought me a new Lite-On 166S drive a week ago and upgraded it to the latest DS14 firmware shortly after. I would like you 166S owners(actually JLMS XJ-HD166S)to tell me if your drive makes a slight grinding noise for about 2-3 secs when a new discs is inserted? It sounds like the laser is adjusting to the media to me. After that first 2-3 seconds it is very quiet even at DVD-ROM ripping speeds of 7-16X! Do all the Lite-On 16X drives do this on initilization, or do I have a bad drive?

It could be the balls…

http://www.liteonit.com/english/english-s-tech-3.htm

It’s a new methond 166S uses to center the CD you put in to minimize vibration at high rpm.

Thats exactly what it sounds like is spinning metals that are helping to stabilize the disc. Its a nice feeling to know my BALLS are fine if you know what I mean. :wink: Thank you for your helpful input guys. Now I don’t have to worry about RMA procedures anymore.

Wow. First my car now my Lite-on DVD drive with ABS systems.:bigsmile:

The ABS on my car is out. I’m glad to have a backup in my burner :wink:

Gee, nice to know.

I received my 165h two days ago, and during putting that drive in my box, I’ve noticed that something must be loose in there. Even thought about RMAing it…

No I know better… it is my balls… :-))

Cheers,

Don

hi there,
i just bought jlms 166s dvd-rom today. but i’m worried about grinding noise the drive makes just after ejecting the disc. Is this normal for this drive or is it having problems? i did find out after reading these posts that it does make this noise when a disc is inserted but does it make this noise when a disc is ejected?

hi there,
i just bought jlms 166s dvd-rom today. but i’m worried about grinding noise the drive makes just after ejecting the disc. Is this normal for this drive or is it having problems? i did find out after reading these posts that it does make this noise when a disc is inserted but does it make this grinding noise when a disc is ejected?

someone plz answer my query? i may need to replace this drive. thank you.

No your drive is fine. It may hiss on the way out too. Nothing to bother about.

thanks for ur reply. Now i have nth to worry about. THe drive works great!!. I love this drive. Its better than my Samsung burner at reading CD’s.