Is this media manuf site up to date?

vbimport

http://www.best-dvd-burning-softwar…k-dvd-media.asp

First I bought Maxell -R and took them back after finding out that they are RitekG05, then I bought Memorex and found out that they are made by CMCMAG (4th class). I talked to a guy who has used Memorex for about 200 burns without any problems. These were $12. off at Future Shop. Don’t know whether to try them of return them. I’d like to find a brand that Taiyo Yuden makes. Who’s the manufacturer of Verbatim?

thx in advance.

[B]First I bought Maxell -R and took them back after finding out that they are RitekG05[/B] - good move

[B]then I bought Memorex and found out that they are made by CMCMAG (4th class[/B] - I’ve never had a problem with CMC MAG discs, and CMC MAG are better than Rtiek in my opinion

[B]I talked to a guy who has used Memorex for about 200 burns without any problems. These were $12. off at Future Shop. Don’t know whether to try them of return them.[/B] - try to get better discs, preferably Taiyo Yuden (see below) or Verbatim

[B]I’d like to find a brand that Taiyo Yuden makes.[/B] - could you buy unbranded Taiyo Yuden?

[B]Who’s the manufacturer of Verbatim?[/B] CMC, Prodisc and Moser Baer India - all made to MCC standards, and good discs. Their DL discs are made in Singapore by MCC themselves, and if you are very lucky you may be able to find some Made in Singapore single layer discs - extremely good quality

From what I’ve read, that site is out of date

Out of date and a number of inaccuracies.

Thx guys.
Anybody have a more reliable site to use for Media.

You are looking at it. :wink: Also, www.dvdrhelp.com is a good place to go.

Actually, I’d agree with that…I’d trust you guys with any media I was in doubt about first. :slight_smile:

I looked there, but am looking for a chart type report. If MCC makes memorex then are they no good?

What label does Taiyo Yuden make?

MCC DOES NOT MAKE MEMOREX!!! There are a few batches of 16x Memorex out there that have the MCC media ID codes, but they are more likely than not Prodisc or CMC made MCC (Just like the vast majority of Verbatim discs). However, these batches seem to be in pretty short supply. Remember it is the manufacturer and not the label that matters. If you get MCC made Memorex consider yourself lucky and enjoy the discs. Given the sales on Verbatim as of late though, Memorex are hardly worth the gamble. As for Taiyo Yuden, the only label that they make is “That’s” which can only be found in Asia (some small quantities can also be found in Europe). However, you can find them under major store brand labels if you know what to look for. Made In Japan Sony 8x DVD-R and DVD+R are made by Taiyo Yuden and IMHO are the way to go if you want to pick up MIJ in stores these days. They are frequently on sale. THEY MUST BE MADE IN JAPAN THOUGH!!! The easiest thing to do though is to avoid the whole hassle and buy the unbranded stuff online. Then there are no mystery spindles or playing guessing games. You order authentic TY online and you get Authentic TY.

look for sony +r made in Japan only
maxell +r made in Japan only
verbatim ± r made in Taiwan only
mcc makes verbatim
cmc = bad
verbatims made in India ?

ok, guys, that helps me…thx :iagree:

When I ran my memorex through DVD Identifier it said CMCMAG.

Who’s IMHO?

Also I have recently found some 8x+R Made in Japan TDK that are TY.

I took back the Memorex (CMCMAG) and bought Verbatim which came up as MCC Mitsubishi Chemicals with DVD Identifier.

Thx again for the tips guys.

Just to make sure you’re not mistaken:

[B]MCC[/B] = [B]M[/B]itsubishi [B]C[/B]hemicals [B]C[/B]orporation
[B]CMC[/B] = CMC Magnetics Corporation

BTW the CMC-made Memorex are not 4th class at all. :disagree: The problem with CMC nowadays is not quality but poor support from the drives maufacturers. If you have a Benq, NEC or LG drive, they give very good burns.

I have a lot of respect for [B]Lordsmurf[/B], who wrote the DigitalFaq/Nomorecoasters pages, and it’s a pretty good source of general information, but it doesn’t mean that his manufacturers “grading” is accurate.

You’ll read bad things all the time about CMC, but it’s something that gets repeated by people who often don’t have actual experience with CMC discs. Then again, they’re not a safe bet in all burners, as mentioned above. People with a Pioneer drive older than the 110/110D should stay away from CMC DVR media.

Pioneer 109 here, and it gives a decent overspeed to 12x on CMC MAG AE1

Very much “horses for courses”, but I’d say CMC MAG AE1 (resonable examples of) in a drive that doesn’t hate it, is about the best “budget” media you can get… there are some better, but many worse.

Trouble with CMC coded media, you could end up with a newer code that your drive doesn’t get on with.

Of course, it’s not up to the standard of TYG02, but with a good media/drive match, the best CMC is tier 2, but the worst can slip down to 3 or 4.

CMC used to make some truly awful CD-R, though a few brands reached “adequate”.
Ritek also went from being a joke, to being ok, to being dragged back to the level of their worst - G05 seems to be a particular disaster in short/medium term degradation