Is this just bad media, or is it bad drive?

vbimport

Well it coming to the end of the month and am going to be buying some new media. Now I did a earlier post on whats best to buy, and most likely will go with the Tayo’s or Verbatimin 8X -R. However I have had such a terrible experience with my last two sets of disks, that I am not sure if my burner is just a dud?

Basically, the burn speed will not reach full 8X most of the time. It will start @ 4X, then hit 6X then drop down to 4X for about 50% of the burn. I then do a scan of the dvd and it drops off terribly at the end, with huge bumps and dips in the scan. Strange thing is the dvd playback perfectly in any dvd player I have tried. Pic quality is not dimished at all? :confused:

It is slowing down my burn times considerably though. 15 mins sometimes to burn. Now I use the nvidia IDE drivers and also tried the defaut windows ones, neither make a difference. Also in the nero log with the nVidia drivers it always says DMA is off, is this normal? Its enabled in the drivers, and does not act like PIO mode ( windows slowdown etc, none of that)

Now to the main question, is it just I have come across some crappy media, or could I have a dodo dvd/rw? I dont wanna go and buy some decent media only to find it makes no diff :frowning: Oh and I replaced my IDE cables too. My HD performance is perfect…

Also in the nero log with the nVidia drivers it always says DMA is off, is this normal?
Yes.

What media are you using?

DRF

ANV GO5 dye :frowning:

That is probably your problem. Use good media, it will give better burns and will have a longer storage life.

Recall > I know this is the NEC forum but what’s the model number and f/w you are using on this drive? Nothing said above 8x so must not be a 16x writer? How old is the drive?