Manufacturer Name : [GigaStorage Corp.]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x , 6x , 8x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

my first burn seems ok…

No. Below average media at best.

:frowning:

Hey, sorry man. Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings or something. I’m just telling it like it is.

heh i know :slight_smile:
so will this media refuse to read after a few months ? :confused:

I don’t know, I will have to ask my crystal ball. But the Gigastorage discs are definitely better than the Sky Media crap you mentioned in the other thread. Those discs make Princos look like high quality.

But there is much better media available for just a few cents more per disc. If you want cheap media, look for Ritek, CMC, Prodisc or even Ricoh discs. Being cheap does not pay off in the long run, as this example I posted earlier illustrates.

I would like to see a test like that done with dvd media. Say a Ritek disc and a … Verbatim. Five years might be too long for anyone to have such a comparison though.

Actually, you won’t even need five months for certain DVD media I mentioned in my last post…

Also, just a quick question. Are you saying the above media you listed are good cheap quality discs or bad?

I’ve just gotten some Ricoh (which I thought were Ritek) and the Kprobe scans I have from them are superb.

LOL! Yeah, that is deplorable! I can’t believe companies can keep making discs like that. Surely people would stop buying them. I just mentioned Ritek and Verbatim as I have a personal interest in those.

RICOHJPNR01 or RICOHJPNR02 discs are produced by Ritek Taiwan, but with Ricoh quality control and know-how transfer which makes the difference. Ricoh discs are excellent indeed, and generally have the best price / performance ratio as far as DVD+R media is concerned, because most burners have very good results with this media (Ricoh is one of the key players of the DVD+R camp, that’s why most drive manufacturers test their drives with Ricoh media), while they are not expensive at all.

Highly recommended DVD+R media if you are looking for the best bang for the buck.

I got a spindle of 50 of this sort RICOHJPNR01 (dvd+r) for only $39AUS. The store is selling them as Ritek dvd+r 02’s. I think I will buy another one before they realize what they really are!

Oh and someone on a newsgroup tried to tell me that Ricoh and Ritek are exactly the same. I knew they were full of it.

And here are a couple of my Kprobe scans from the discs.

I couldn’t edit them into my other post, so here they are.

Oops, already uploaded them in the LiteOn discussion forum. Sorry for the wasted space.

Perhaps and perhaps not.

The stuff is ultra-cheap downunder at swap-meets and does burn reasonably well.

The real question is whether the burnt dvds will still be any good in a few years (or even a few months) time. However, I haven’t seen any reports whether favourable or unfavourable about the keeping qualities of this media.

My personal experience with Gigastorage discs, both DVD and especially CD, is rather negative (often high error rates at the end of the burn, “cheapish” finish and general quality). Not the worst media there is (although the CD media sold under the “Esperanza” label over here was a tough contender for the “crappiest media” award), but definitely nothing that can be recommended IMHO, considering the alternatives that often aren’t more expensive even.