Is this considered really bad (ProHT BD-R)?

vbimport

So I just burned a ProHT brand BD-R (4x speed). By DVD-R standards it’s pretty bad, but is this normal for BD-R? I ran ScanDisc in Nero and all the sectors were good.

Provided that scans of BR discs with Discspeed and Optidrivecontrol are comparable, the disc is really bad, indeed.

Is it even possible to scan BD-Rs at 25x? :eek:
It also looks like it doesn’t recognize the MID of the Prodiscs.

Try it with Opti Drive Control at 4x.

But the Asus drive also has old firmware that they refuse to update. I crossflashed mine to a Lite-On using the instructions here: http://club.myce.com/f87/how-upgrade-your-asus-bw-12b1st-liteon-ihbs112-2-a-331630/

I’ve read that other people have gotten much better results after doing that. One other possibility that might help is using Lite-On’s Smartbun utility and enabling Force Hypertuning.

25x is the slowest scan speed that I can select.

So I can flash my Asus to LiteON iBHS112? I have flashed DVD burners with customized fw before, but is there anything I need to especially lookout for when flashing BD burner fw? Thanks.

I’m not sure if Nero Discspeed can handle blurays properly. 25x minimum sounds very wrong. Opti Drive Control is by the same developer and I sort of recall him limiting BD scans to ODC

Anyways, I just followed the instructions on that page step by step and it was no problem. The firmwarehq.com links are broken but it will direct you to the right file

I think you may loose the Asus E-Hammer feature to destroy burned DVDs though

Thanks for the reply. I followed the guide and updated my Asus to PL06. However, I can still only select between 25x and 51x scan speed.

[QUOTE=awdrifter;2707163]Thanks for the reply. I followed the guide and updated my Asus to PL06. However, I can still only select between 25x and 51x scan speed.

[/QUOTE]

Nero Disc Speed cannot read BD-R accurately
you must use Opti Drive Control to scan BD-R. http://club.myce.com/f96/opti-drive-control-erik-deppe-274820/

Opti Drive Control is not working for me. It just says “Unable to read label”. I have Nero 10, does the newer version of Nero have an updated version of DiscSpeed that can read BD-R correctly? Thanks.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2707164]Nero Disc Speed cannot read BD-R accurately
you must use Opti Drive Control to scan BD-R. http://club.myce.com/f96/opti-drive-control-erik-deppe-274820/[/QUOTE]Sure it can, not just the popular but old 4.7.7.16 version. You need newer versions.

[QUOTE=awdrifter;2707165]Opti Drive Control is not working for me. It just says “Unable to read label”.[/QUOTE]Uncheck the option for “Read disc label automatically” and that problem will go away. It’s under File, Options on the user interface “tab”.

Ok, so I changed the read disc label option, now it works. It looks like the disc is really bad. But this is burned with the original Asus fw, so I will try to burn again with the PL06 fw. Hopefully I will get better results.