Is this an M-DISC?

vbimport

Hi, I’m wondering if anyone can help me identify if a Verbatim blank disc I purchased from Japan is the genuine product.

I bought some 50GB blu-ray M-DISCs and although the jewel case insert suggests it’s the real deal, it was unsealed and the disc itself looks to be an unbranded inkjet hub printable disc. The only identifying aspects are two hub codes (on the data side) which are:

ZE4888-MK-BX6C030
(this code can be found in the “Blank Blu-ray Media Tests” forum section as a 50GB BD-R DL 6x)

EA9070-MK-BX6B651
(this code however, I can’t find any info on, and may or may not be what identifies it as an M-DISC)

Does anyone know if it can be identified as an actual 50GB M-DISC and not a standard 50GB BD-R that has been placed in the case.
I usually buy directly from verbatim, but the UK/European store doesn’t stock 50GB blu-ray M-DISCs. So I had to get them from elsewhere. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Do you happen to have a BD burner in a Windows computer you can use to check the media code?

Or perhaps there’s another code on the disc itself besides the two stamper codes (one for each layer) you’ve noted above.

[QUOTE=Albert;2782368]Do you happen to have a BD burner in a Windows computer you can use to check the media code?

Or perhaps there’s another code on the disc itself besides the two stamper codes (one for each layer) you’ve noted above.[/QUOTE]

Hi, thanks for the info. I’ve just done a quick search on looking for media codes and downloaded a trial of “dvdindentifier” but unfortunately it just detects the disc as:

Unique Disc Identifier : [BD-R-DL:VERBAT-IMf-000]

Disc Type : [BD-R DL : Class 0 - Version 1]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Kagaku Media]
Manufacturer ID : [VERBAT]
Media Type ID : [IMf]
Product Revision : [000]
Stamper Date : [Not Present On Disc]
Layer Info : [2 Layers (L0-L1) : 25.03 GB (23.31 GiB) Per Layer]
Blank Disc Capacity : [24,438,784 Sectors = 50.05 GB (46.61 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x , 6x]

For the sake of comparison I loaded in a genuine 100GB M-DISC from Verbatim themselves and even that just comes up as this:

Unique Disc Identifier : [BD-R-3L:VERBAT-IMk-000]

Disc Type : [BD-R 3L : Class 1 - Version 2]
Manufacturer Name : [Manufacturer Not Found In Database]
Manufacturer ID : [VERBAT]
Media Type ID : [IMk]
Product Revision : [000]
Stamper Date : [Not Present On Disc]
Layer Info : [3 Layers (L0-L2) : 497.12 GB (462.98 GiB) Per Layer]
Blank Disc Capacity : [728,202,096 Sectors = 1,491.36 GB (1,388.94 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [?x]

Hmmm…other than those two stamper codes there’s nothing else identifiable on the disc, it’s just an edge to edge hub printable disc. Looks like it might remain a mystery perhaps. Thank very much for your help though.:slight_smile:

Ah! Looks like I spoke too soon…

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

“IMf” does appear to be an M-DISC.

Thanks for telling about the media code, I had no idea about that, I was just expecting it to say M-DISC in the read out from dvdindentifier.

I didn’t know Verbatim used its own media code for M-DISC media as well, so you’ve taught me something.

Outside of Verbatim’s media, the media code would be some variant of MILLEN… (for Millenniata).

Ah, there’s actually two discs listed under “VERBATIMf”, one is an M-DISC the other is a normal BD-R.

Luckily they have a very obviously different Media Code-Block dumps. The normal BD-R has a very short Media Code’-Block, whereas the M-DISC has a very very long one (Which thankfully my disc is). Looks like I haven’t taught you anything after all, haha.

[QUOTE=Albert;2782376]I didn’t know Verbatim used its own media code for M-DISC media as well, so you’ve taught me something.

Outside of Verbatim’s media, the media code would be some variant of MILLEN… (for Millenniata).[/QUOTE]

The “MILLEN-MR1-000” MID code is used only for SL media.

^ See? I’m still learning. :slight_smile:

Absolutely not. Even Media Range BD-R DLs use the very same code.

Yes, which is why I said…

"Ah, there’s actually two discs listed under “VERBATIMf”, one is an M-DISC the other is a normal BD-R.

Luckily they have a very obviously different Media Code-Block dumps."