Is this a good scan (quality test)?

It’s my first post…

I am using a PIONEER DVR-110D FW 1.37 to write and to test…
I just bought a pack of 50 Verbatim -R 8X Pearl White… Media ID RitekG05…
I wrote one disc at 4X using ImgBurn… I did a quality test with DVDInfoPro… This is what I got… Is it a good scan??

Although overall it is good… I got one high peak in the middle reaching:
PI: 289
PIF: 28
Still worth buying more of these??

Thanks

Personally i wouldn’t buy more of these Riteks.

With the Verbatim DVD-R 8x "Pearl White (mid RitekG05), I would say no, don’t buy any more. I have read a number of complaints about Verbatim Pearl White being of variable quality (usually lower quality), and because Ritek actually makes them, with Ritekg05 being the worst mid around, I would say absolutely don’t buy any more of them ever again. :frowning:

Thanks for your fast reply :wink:

But how can we know if just one peak is above 280 …
Can it cause a bad playback??
I am a beginner in testing dvds and i don’t really know what are the standards… anyways I would definitly not buy more of them…

What about this Melody -R 8X burned at 4X speed…??
It seems like a perfect scan… but i am not sure about this media ID GSC003!?!

It is even better than a 8X write on Verbatim -R 16X (MID: MCC03RG20)
Weird, huh??

it is true one PIE spike close to, at, or above 280 shouldn’t affect playback, but in regards to the RitekG05 (Ritek actually made that disk, not Verbatim–that’s why the mid is so important), starting in 2005 for sure, Ritekg05’s are considered among the worst media one can get. First off, the errors on scans vary wildly because of the wide variance in quality, and second, it is common for anything RitekG05 to degrade quickly–to the point of being unreadable in 1 year or less. I have done a lot of testing on RitekG05s I mistakenly bought, and had nothing but horrible results (not-so-good burns, then failure, to where I had to reburn the data on the RitekG05 to quality media)

GSC = Gigastorage Corp., IIRC. I’ve seen many GSC003 scans that were very good, but again, Gigastorage makes those “Melody” disks–not Melody. :stuck_out_tongue:

Provided these are accurate scans (I’ve never trusted Pioneer for scanning, as I had a DVR-108 that did an awful and unreliable job), those are super low PIF totals for the GSC and MCC03RG20 mids, and might indicate your 110D, burning those at that speed with that firmware produces excellent results. IIRC, the Pioneer uses 8ECC, so I imagine if you had a PIF spike to 16 it would still be acceptable (a BenQ uses 8ECC and one can have a PIF spike to 16 and it’s still ok). The ideal, though, would be to have spikes at 4 or lower, and that’s what I see here–low PIF spikes. :iagree:

Thx again for your reply… Even though i didn’t understand what is 8ECC :rolleyes: but i got a clear explanation… hehe

Yeah I know Pioneer testing isn’t a reliable way but i don’t have any other option… since my other burner is a plextor 708A but i hate it!!!

I know that Plextor is as “King of Quality” by many users but i guess it can’t tolerate low quality or even acceptable quality discs…

After i bought this pioneer very recently i did some tests on my previous burns that i did with my plextor and it was awwwwful!!! Nothing comparable to a quality test… i am sure you never have seen such graph :Z lol
Check it out… burn at 2x an Iomega -R MID CMCMAG AE1

Plus another question: Verbatim +R 16x MID: MCC004 … is it a good one?
'cause i had very bad burn at 4x with my Pioneer…

Thanks for your help…:wink:

This is what happens when you burn 8x rated media at 2x and 16x rated media at 4x, poor results. Although there are many exceptions depending on the specific media/burner/firmware used, in general you will get the best results burning media at its rated speed. It’s also important to keep your firmware for your burner(s) up to date, as it will often improve the burner’s performance, such as adding support for new media codes, improved write strategies for different media codes, etc.

I guess you are right… the exception lies in the poor media that should be burned at half of the rated speed… right?

ECC is a block of data on a disc aranged in a very well defined matrix, ECC is a acronym that stands for Error Correction Code… 8ECC means a grouping of 8 consecutive ECC blocks. Some drives scan at 1ECC (one ECC Block) at a time, others scan at 8ECC… Some parts of the ‘standards’ for DVDs refer to amounts of errors per 8 consecutive ECC blocks, etc… A simmilar term that sometimes also gets used is Sum8…

Any more detailed then that, gets really hard to explain…

Krou… for an example, although my RitekG05’s were rated for 8x burning, I usually had to burn them at 6x on my Plextor 716a for slightly better results, or even burn them at 4x on my BenQ 1640 for decent results (but they were still failing later). If it’s low-quality media, you might have to burn it at half its rated speed, as in my case.

I am burning on the same Verbatim +R but this time at the highest speed 16x… instead of 4x…
waiting for the results…

So beautiful at the 1st half and very bad results at the end :frowning:
MCC004 not compatible???

You may have encountered one of those exceptions to the rule right there :frowning: : 16x media often burns better at 12x than 16x. I know it just contradicts what I said (somewhat), although 16x media is an exception in itself, you will almost always get better results at 12x, sometimes the differences are slight, sometimes significant.

hey everyone…

I just bought a pack of 50 PHILIPS DVD+R 16X… they turned out to be MCC004…

I burned a few with my PIONEER DVR-110D @ 16X , 12X, 8X but all the tests done show an acute peak at some point of the disc…

Will it cause any error on a dvd player ? Is it still a good copy ?

This test belongs to a 16x burned disc: