Is this a good quality scan

This is a quality test made by nero cd speed on a DW1640 BenQ drive,the media is a TDK 1-8x DVD-R TTG02 (Bulkpaq of 10 cds).
since this is a new drive i bought 2 days ago,i wanted to ask a few questions:
1- Is the posted quality scan a good one, can anyone please rate it.
2- Is the jewel case better than the bulkpaq in terms of storage and quality.
3- When i qscanned this TDK media by v2.0 it Only supported 4x write, so what happened ,isnt this media supposed to be of the best??
4- When i tried to write the media at 8x it takes 16:00 , isnt this 4x writing??

My firmware is BSLB

General Information
Drive: BENQ DVD DD DW1640
Firmware: BSLB
Disc: DVD-R (TTG02)
Selected speed: 8 X
PI errors
Maximum: 105
Average: 33.61
Total: 481276
PI failures
Maximum: 5
Average: 0.03
Total: 323
PO failures: 0
Jitter
Maximum: 8.3 %
Average: 6.76 %
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 9:39
Number of samples: 17834
Average scanning interval: 8.00 ECC
Glitches removed: 0

1. Your scan is very good. I say 8/10

2. Anythings better than bulkpaq. Jewel case is considered better

3. Qscan isnt very accurate. TYG02 media is considered the best, you have TTG02, which can be great, or can be bad, depending on the brand.

It’s a Good burn based on that Quality Scan. You should also post Reat Transfer Rate scans and include the Burst Speed if this is the first time you are using the drive to give us a better picture of performance and playability. Those are somewhat high total PIE’s, though maybe not for that media. Although PIE’s are correctable, some believe they will begin to translate into noncorrectable PIF’s over time, thereby shortening the lifespan of the disc/data.

As chancooluk said, your media is known for its variable quality. Even high quality media like Taiyo Yuden varies from spindle to spindle but the variance is usually small.

Your media has been looked at and tested for ways to do optimal burns. I recommend a search on that MID and look for examples of how others have improved their burn quality through manipulating burn speed, changing QSuite settings, using a diffeent firmware, and even substituting a different write strategy using MediaCodeSpeedEdit (a sticky thread on this forum). I would approach these changes in that order as well.

Of course, the good old standbyes of defragmented harddrive with sufficient free space for the cache, making sure there are no conflicting hardware/software on your system, not multitasking or running applications in the background while burning, and using the best medium for the machine will help ensure quality burns. these should be some of the first things you do and see if burn quality meets your standards before tinkering with the aforemetioned items (except for lower burn speed which rarely hurts quality).

Thanx chancooluk for the fast replay, also thanx bulletx for your info.

• It is too bad that i cant get TY media here in egypt, here in EGYPT they only consider the media according to the brand name, we have TDK - LG - SAMSUNG - SONY ( i think this one is fake) - PRINCO.
  • So i guessed the best media to buy is TDK, first i was using using TDK DVD+R, the manfactureer id was Ricohjpn and Ritek, so i bought a pack of 10 jewel cases with the new writer to be surprised that this pack was CMC mag E01, so i returned the DVD+R for an exchange with a TDK DVD-R which was TTG02.
  • I will post here the results of the CMC DVD.
  • Another point please bulletx : can you give me a link to the TDK TTG02 media preference adjusting, so it can be written with superior quality (notice the previous dvd post was written at 4x inspite of the 8x choosing)
  • Also can anyone tell me which dvd from the 2 posts is better
  • General Information
    Disc: DVD+R (CMC MAG E01)
    PI errors
    Maximum: 14
    Average: 3.34
    Total: 31722
    PI failures
    Maximum: 9
    Average: 0.31
    Total: 3338
    Jitter
    Maximum: 10.6 %
    Average: 9.23 %
    Scanning Statistics
    Elapsed time: 9:10
    Number of samples: 16701

mustafa811:

Nice Read Transfer Rate scan. That’s what you want to see. I am not familiar with this CMC and TTG02 media otherise I would give you specifics on improving your burns. I’ll bet that is a decent scan for the media: low PIE’s, acceptable PIF’s and decent Jitter. I’ll also bet that it could be improved by manipulating one or more of the variables I listed in an earlier post.

I think the best thing for you to do, barring someone with experience with your media posting directions in this thread, is for you to do a search in this forum using the MID code to learn from other’s experience in improving their burns. Of course you could also do your own trial and error, but that could get a little expensive. Why waste a lot of discs when other’s have already “tilled the field”, so to speak, for you. Maybe all you need to do is adjust burn speed and change some setting in QSuite to get even better quality. Maybe you will need to use MediaCodeSpeedEdit to select a different write strategy altogether in order to maximize burn quality - instructions and people’s experiences are detailed in the sticky thread at the top of this forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=124905 and http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=124899). I have not used this tool (yet) as I have been getting acceptable good quality scans from the Taiyo Yuden T02’s I have been using.

One final point, if possible, buy media that states “Made In Japan” for best chance of getting high quality media, hopefully Taiyo Yuden. If you are looking at Verbatim’s, “Made In Singapore” is better than “Taiwan”, than “India”, than “Mexico” and who knows elsewhere. There are always exceptions to the rule, such as Made In India has seen some very good discs but also a whole lot of bad. Stick with what your drive likes, unless you have a lot of money and like to experiment.

That’s on par for CMC MAG. AE1 media.

WOBC on
overspeed on
solidburn on

TDK 1-8x DVD-R media with default qsuite settings max reported speed is 8x but actually written 4x, while with the mentioned above settings max reported speed is 16x while actually being written at 8x

General Information
Disc: DVD-R (TTG02)
PI errors
Maximum: 43
Average: 15.50
Total: 166128
PI failures
Maximum: 4
Average: 0.07
Total: 516
Jitter
Maximum: 9.4 %
Average: 7.94 %
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 8:24
Number of samples: 14663

Dvd+r (cmc Mag E01)

Handyman03, that brilliant burn don’t deserve to be presented with lousy quality pic like that. Save as PNG instead of JPG next time. :slight_smile:

@ Handyman03:

Amazing CMC MAG E01 burn. The best scan results I’ve ever seen for that media on a Benq burner. Hope it lasts. :slight_smile:

I second that!!! :clap: