Is this a good Drive (for data backup)?

Hi all,

I originally posted a question about this drive (Pioneer DVR-710B5PK), back at the beginning of July when it was $59.99 + tax at Best Buy.

Only got one answer, and a suggestion about the BenQ DW-1650BG (OEM)from Newegg at $32+, plus shipping.

I didn’t get around to buying either due to a death in the family and associated problems.

Anyway, this week Best Buy again has the Pioneer DVR-710B5PK on sale at $39.99 plus tax. So, 6 to 7 weeks later same drive is $20.00 cheaper!!

I don’t care about included software as I have full version of Nero 6.6.1.4.

You guys (and other gals) have had time to reflect on this drive and test it further and I would like a realistic review please?!

1.) Is this drive a decent one? :confused: Main use will be data/system backup.
2.) Your experiences with it, one way or another? Good, Bad, Ugly??

All suggestions & comments gladly welcome! :slight_smile:

Thanks a bunch.
Sincerely,
Cutie :kiss:

PS: The BenQ-DW1650 is no longer available at Newegg, I think!?

Sorry to hear about the death in the family. :sad:
I would get this one instead ( i have 2 of them). Free shipping, no sales tax, and a pretty darn good drive. Plenty of posts about here on the forum. Link for you. :wink:

It’s the same drive, Bryan. Just have to crossflash to the 111L firmware to enable Labelflash and DVD-Ram support as it comes with the 111D firmware.

To the OP: It is a very good drive. Top-notch dual layer burning, good media support. Only negative with it is it’s inaccurate disc quality scanning, but as far as I know all Pioneer drives are this way.

Bryan & jhtalisman,

Thanks for your replies but:

If the drive at Newegg is a 111D, am I correct in guessing that means it is a OEM version of the 710B5PK?

How can you tell that the different numbers are actually the same drive?
Why do “they” give the same drive different numbers though?

I thought OEM meant that it comes as a bare bones box (no cable, screws, software,manual), nothing but the drive?

Since I am on the east coast & Newegg is in California, and the drive at Newegg only comes with a [B]30 day exchange-only [/B] warranty, whereas the Best Buy retail has a 1 year warranty for $8.00 more, OK – $10.00 with tax ($41.99), wouldn’t I be better off with the [B]one year[/B] warranty for $10 more?

I probably won’t use DL discs as I think they are too expensive from what I have seen here and I have already purchased spindles of 50 R’s and 25 RW’s.

>>Just have to crossflash to the 111L firmware to enable Labelflash and DVD-Ram support as it comes with the 111D firmware.

What is the 111L and Labelflash? :confused:

I thought you needed special discs for burning DVD-RAM?

Can’t the 710B5PK be flashed to upgrade the drives capabilities?

And what is disc (quality) scanning??

Thanks again, and sorry for the additional questions but I am still learning.
But once I know, I will have the knowledge forever and can contribute to answering other newbies’ similar type questions. So you guys are really teachers!! :clap: :clap:

CP :kiss:

crossflashing to the dangerous brothers firmware 111L internal 8.19 will enable the drive to be DVD-RAM capable as well as bitsetting to dvdrom for dvd+r media. remember that crossflashing the 710 drive you’ll be voiding the original Pioneer warranty because you’re not using official Pioneer firmware. the dangerous brothers firmwares are considered 3rd party firmware. here’s the link to download the 111L internal 8.19 firmware.
http://tdb.rpc1.org/#DVR111L

labelflash is like lightscribe technology which allows you to put graphics or text on the dvd/cd disc. in order for this capability you have to be using the correct version of nero burn. you’ll also have to use special discs that enable labelflash/lightscribe tech.

i suggest you do some reading at www.videohelp.com on burning dvds and backing them up with different software.

the best buy Pioneer 710 drive is a retail drive that comes with nero burn and cable. i’d suggest buying the Pioneer 710 drive from best buy then you won’t have to wait for the OEM version from Newegg.com. although Newegg does have a new jersey warehouse as well but i’m not sure what is stocked at that warehouse. :slight_smile:

DVD Addict,
I got the Pioneer 710B5PK from Best Buy, but it didn’t come with a cable.
The instructions say that to burn with this drive at 16X I need to use an 80 wire cable. The cable in my PC is a 40 wire. How much will this slow down the burning of this drive and do you know to what max speed??

Thanks again!

CP

Sorry the retail Pioneer 111D doesn’t come with a ide cable. I made a mistake! :o
It won’t work correctly so you’ll have to buy a 80 wire ide cable for the drive. Check to see if the drive is in UDMA 4. You can do this by going to device manager and then click on the ide channel that your 111D drive is attached to. If the drive is in UDMA 4 then you’re using a 80 wire ide cable.

DVD Addict,

I know it is a 40 wire cable cause I opened up the case and looked at it!

I have a CD-RW drive & a CD-ROM drive in the PC, so am replacing the CD-ROM with the DVD writer.

I haven’t installed the 710/111D yet as I have to pull the old CD-Rom drive to install it.

Do you know how much the Speed will drop if only using a 40 pin cable?
It says “to achieve max write speed, you have to use a 80 wire cable…” so I assume it WILL work with a 40 pin, just not at 16X.

Tnx,
CP

The drive will need to be in UDMA 4. If it isn’t then the drive won’t work correctly. I know this because I tried using a 40 wire ide cable and the drive did not work correctly. Once I used a 80 wire ide cable all was fine.

Install the drive with your existing 40 wire ide cable and see for yourself if the drive will be in UDMA 4 mode.

To find out if your drive is DMA mode follow this instructions:
Go to device manager and click on the hardware tab. Then under the ide ata/atapi controllers look for the ide channel that your 111D drive is attached to. Right click on that ide channel that’s attached to your 111D drive and click on properties. Under the Advanced settings tab you’ll see if DMA is enabled. If a 80 wire ide cable is being used it will show UDMA 4. Hard drives are usually DMA 6. :wink: