Is this a good burn for a 3540a?

vbimport

Hello,

Usually I just burn a dvd and if I can play it in my standalone dvd player I’m pretty happy. I’m trying to figure out cdspeed to determine if I have a quality burn. I was hoping someone with a trained eye could look at these scans to see if my drive is operating correctly.

benchmark
disk quality

I currently have it using the windows IDE controller under ultra dma 2. I placed the winaspi32.dll in the same folder as the cdspeed executable. I left the scanning at 8 ECC.

Does this look like a good burn? I just want to make sure I was shipped a properly working drive.

thanks! :slight_smile:

Disc Quality scans are to be done at the 5X speed when performed on an NEC drive, not 8X.
Re-scan the disc and let’s see if it’s better.
You can attach the image to your post by uploading it to the CD Freaks server.
Use the posting option Manage Attachments at the bottom of th post screen.

Hello,

Thanks for showing me that attachment option, I"ve posted a new scan using a 5x option. I really don’t know how to read the chart but the 97 score looks promising.

I just want to make sure I have a decent drive as my time to return it is almost up.

thanks!

The drive is decent. The firmware needs some tuning up. I have both the 3500 and the 3540. I’m sure NEC will release some improved versions in the future for the 3540. In the meantime the L&D team have taken up the slack from NEC and have produced very well rounded feature filled versions. :bow:

The burn is a good burn.
The total PI Errors is a bit high but disc is still within the standard of a good burn.

For the NEC drive a good burn has maximum PI Errors less than 280 and maximum PI Failures less than 16. The PI Failures play an integral part in the quality test and directly affect the quality score.

Quality Scores in the high 90s are good burns.

Quote From Vericom

“I currently have it using the windows IDE controller under ultra dma 2. I placed the winaspi32.dll in the same folder as the cdspeed executable.”

I don’t believe copying the winaspi32.dll file into the same folder as CDspeed.exe has any results. I think that file is just needed For Nero Burning Software.

Can somebody confirm if winaspi32.dll need be present on a system without Nero, however, still using CDspeed.

It’s a good scan :slight_smile: , but I think that for this MID the Nec should do better (less PI Errors)

My NEC also Don’t like too much to record with good quality, I have returned one that simple can’t record the DVDs :frowning: , if the firmwares don’t resolve the problem probably I will never buy again a NEC drive…